Updates anyone?

id4elizabeth

I have not heard anything. However, I keep checking their website, and things keep subtally changing. I do see that they are quickly selling out. In fact, it looks like all of their "cheap" cabins have gone. The initial fervor seems to have subsided on this board as well.

Do they have a webcam at the Fincantieri yard? When we were waiting for Celebrity Reflection to be built at the Meyer Werft, I would check their webcam periodically to see what was happening.

I was curious if there is a benchmark schedule for the new build. I am more concerned with lateness and the ship not making the original sail date. How long does it take to build a ship? The Oceania Riviera had to cancel several of the original sailings due to a shipyard strike.

I cannot even think of updates on a cruise ship for 2 yrs from now. It's built, just needs interior updates and reconfigs! I do not think it would be a problem with nearly sold out cruises itineraries.:eek:

I was shocked my husband even wanted to book for 2 yrs from now...he better not croak on me!!!;)

Do they have a webcam at the Fincantieri yard? When we were waiting for Celebrity Reflection to be built at the Meyer Werft, I would check their webcam periodically to see what was happening.

The only web cams that could be located were not inside the Fincantieri property but were up on a hill overlooking the water.

During the construction of Oceania's last two ships, the few photos of their progress were taken and posted by Oceania staff.

Suggest you contact Viking and ask directly if they have similar plans.

Viking Oceans needs to keep its Early Birds informed. They asked my TA to tell me to fill out my Personal Information Profile, so I expect the same from them regarding the progress of the Viking Star.

Mrs M

I was looking at the Vikings Oceans website this morning and all the cabins for the April 11, 2015 cruise are sold out.....pretty good for ship that is not even built yet!

We will see what happens when final payment is due in December 2013!

Hopefully we will have more information on the status of the building process by then.

Kathy

I went to an event last week with my friend/travel agent hosted by her agency. The event was for clients and included presentations by the HAL/Seabourn rep and the Viking Rep. The Viking rep was great, but he was mainly there to talk about the Longboats/River Cruising with a small intro to the new Oceans line. He had a wonderful slideshow with many different pictures - err... artist renderings - of Star that I haven't been able to find anywhere else on the website or in the brochure book. Made us very excited.

I raised my hand and asked about the included excursions and whether they would be able to accommodate the entire ship on them since that's something we've all been wondering about. The rep said it was okay since we would be able to book excursions ahead on the website, but I pointed out that availability went in order of cabin class and that the bottom balconies wouldn't be able to book ahead at all. He then went on to say that Viking has terrific people in shore excursions with decades of experience that have a handle on which excursions are the most popular and how many people on average take each excursion, and they adjust their guides accordingly. Sadly, that's not going to help those of us on the maiden voyage in general, and in Ephesus in particular. I think as the time draws closer I'll arrange a private tour.

I also wanted to ask if they would reconsider putting coffee makers in all the cabins, but nobody else was asking questions and I didn't want to seem like I was complaining/whining about a cruise line that won't launch for another year and a half :o

I posted a question about a week ago on Viking's Facebook page asking for any updates on the progress of the ship's build. So far they have not responded. They post a new sales pitch on their Facebook page about all the fabulous destinations that they're going to every couple of days, but have not responded to customer's inquiries in quite some time - my question and another gentleman's asking about when the schedule for 2016 is going to be released. You'd think they'd be more attentive to customer's questions...

I was not aware that the early booking discount required full payment a year and a half in advance. What are the cancellation policies?

I was reading over the cancellation policy on the website and it was not very clear. I sent an email in regards to the EBD to Viking and will post the reply when I receive it.

Kathy

FYI, have had success speaking via email/phone with folks @ Viking Oceans about their current participation on Cruise Critic and future planned CCyparticpation by Viking. (Viking is considerding adopting an official CC/Viking (River cruises and Oceans cruises) Meet & Mingle). Therefore, recommend you send: TellUs@vikingcruises.com an email and request an update on building progress of the Viking Star.

Edited by Colonel(Ret.)Wes

I was reading over the cancellation policy on the website and it was not very clear. I sent an email in regards to the EBD to Viking and will post the reply when I receive it.

Kathy

This is what I had in my notes. Can't remember where I copied it from

" the deposit is fully refundable through 12/31/13 with no cancellation charge applied. After that date, the full payment is refundable up to 121 days out, less a $100 per person cancellation charge. "

Check with Viking to confirm

This is what I had in my notes. Can't remember where I copied it from

" the deposit is fully refundable through 12/31/13 with no cancellation charge applied. After that date, the full payment is refundable up to 121 days out, less a $100 per person cancellation charge.

Thanks...I still have not gotten a response to my email from Viking!

It's been quiet on the Viking Oceans board, and over two months since any news about the progress, or lack of progress on the construction of the Viking Star. I am happy that we have not gotten word of labor problems or general strikes in Italy, so I presume that things are going as planned. With the final payment due in just four months, it would be nice to have a progress report, and some photos from Viking.

I once again checked the Viking Oceans Facebook page, and they have not posted anything there, nor have they answered my posting on their Facebook page (August 9) asking them about their progress. I also sent a message to TellUs@viking about a week ago, and they sent me an automated reply that someone would be in touch -- so far nothing. I wonder, like you, whether they might be more forthcoming towards the end of the year when the payments are due...?

I once again checked the Viking Oceans Facebook page, and they have not posted anything there, nor have they answered my posting on their Facebook page (August 9) asking them about their progress. I also sent a message to TellUs@viking about a week ago, and they sent me an automated reply that someone would be in touch -- so far nothing. I wonder, like you, whether they might be more forthcoming towards the end of the year when the payments are due...?

I also have not gotten a response to my question I sent in over 2 weeks ago....