What to do in nassau

mamaofami

Years ago when HAL had Nassau on their itineraries, we were usually there on a Sunday and for only about 4 or 5 hours. We would arrive around 7 or 8 AM and since it was Sunday nothing opened until 11 or Noon. All we could do was window shop.

When we sailed on NCL and Princess we had a longer day there. One time we did the Ardastra Gardens and Zoo. Another time we did the Blue Lagoon.

We stayed a few days in Nassau a few years back. Hubby pays zero attention to tourist warnings and always drags me to places where the natives go ( !!)..Mostly to eat. We wound up at the same breakfast place daily and had Souse with grits! We also we went to a bar called The Cricket Club with the nicest warmest people ..Throw caution to the winds, Isn't this why we travel? Don't be totally careless and always be aware of your surroundings. We were also told not to go..but we did and lived to the tell the wonderful tale

Some have reported satisfaction with a day pass at the British Colonial Hilton Hotel whose beach is on Nassau's harbor. There are some party type cruises, probably including snorkeling and maybe a beach visit somewhere, that are often well liked by those so inclined. I have done neither. (But, I have been tempted by the party cruise just for the experience. Maybe my next visit?)

We want to go to the British Colonial for the day pass and I've emailed them to ask can it be purchased before or first come first served, but no one has replied to me. Does anyone know exactly how to purchase? Thanks.

Some have reported satisfaction with a day pass at the British Colonial Hilton Hotel whose beach is on Nassau's harbor. There are some party type cruises, probably including snorkeling and maybe a beach visit somewhere, that are often well liked by those so inclined. I have done neither. (But, I have been tempted by the party cruise just for the experience. Maybe my next visit?)
Try this URL. It's for the hotel's day pass program.

http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/bahamas/british-colonial-hilton-nassau-NASHIHH/attractions/cruiseship-info.html

Thanks. That's helpful.
You're very welcome. I'm not sure what the cost is for a cab, but the $100 per adult day rate gives you a $40 food and beverage credit, which seems decent.

I've been to Nassau twice--once with my daughter and just last October, I was there with my husband. Unless the crime rate has skyrocketed in the last 12 months, I would not agree with the comment that Nassau has a "very, very high violent crime rate".

On both trips, I and my traveling companion did self-guided walking tours (which I found online). We saw the fort, the governor-general's home, the public library (that used to be a jail), and the Queen's Staircase, among others. Even when walking around with my daughter (being two women), I did not feel unsafe.

I recommend you get out and explore the city. There is a lot of interesting history and architecture.

I've been to Nassau twice--once with my daughter and just last October, I was there with my husband. Unless the crime rate has skyrocketed in the last 12 months, I would not agree with the comment that Nassau has a "very, very high violent crime rate".

On both trips, I and my traveling companion did self-guided walking tours (which I found online). We saw the fort, the governor-general's home, the public library (that used to be a jail), and the Queen's Staircase, among others. Even when walking around with my daughter (being two women), I did not feel unsafe.

I recommend you get out and explore the city. There is a lot of interesting history and architecture.

Would you happen to have a link to the walking tour you used? Our itinerary has been changed so we are going to Nassau later this month and this sounds like something we would like to do. (Our first time in Nassau.)

We want to go to the British Colonial for the day pass and I've emailed them to ask can it be purchased before or first come first served, but no one has replied to me. Does anyone know exactly how to purchase? Thanks.
https://www.resortforaday.com/British-Colonial-Hilton-Day-pass-p/nsnabcha.htm Google is a wonderful tool.

We did this walking tour a couple of years ago. http://www.frommers.com/destinations/new-providence/walking-tours

We will be back in Nassau in November and will be doing it again. Really enjoyed the day.

We usually have a local beer in every port. In Nassau we found a little store in the main shopping area (not straw market) that sold cold bottles of beer-they opened the bottle and put it in a small brown paper bag so you could enjoy it while walking. I don't remember the variety but they sold a beer/lemonade combination that was lower alcohol and delicious. I'm going to enjoy one of those again!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did this walking tour a couple of years ago. http://www.frommers.com/destinations/new-providence/walking-tours

We will be back in Nassau in November and will be doing it again. Really enjoyed the day.

We usually have a local beer in every port. In Nassau we found a little store in the main shopping area (not straw market) that sold cold bottles of beer-they opened the bottle and put it in a small brown paper bag so you could enjoy it while walking. I don't remember the variety but they sold a beer/lemonade combination that was lower alcohol and delicious. I'm going to enjoy one of those again!

Thanks so much...this looks like a good option for us. Unfortunately we are scheduled to be in Nassau on Sunday which is noted as the WORST time to visit...many places closed and lots of cruise ships in port. :( I know the port schedule shows four other ships in port that day already. Our ship (the Nieuw Amsterdam) wasn't even on the schedule because this is a last minute change for us.

Maybe it won't be too bad as some people stay on the ship in Nassau and Atlantis is a big draw. I don't know where NA will dock but we were on Allure last time and it was a beautiful sailaway with warm breezes, turquoise waters and palm trees beside the channel. We will be on NA as well this time from 11/4-18. I suspect some ports will be changed but nothing definite yet.

The last time I was in Nassau, I booked a day pass for $30 at the Melia resort and I was able to enjoy access to their pool and beach area. It was lovely, we had a very enjoyable day there! They have an all inclusive day pass option too. Here is the info copied from the pdf I have:-

All day pass prices include access to our beach, pool and the use of non-motorized water activities. All day passes can be purchased at the front desk. Please note that children prices are applicable to kids 12 years and under.

Day Pass Only (No food and beverage included)

$30.00 Adults

$22.50 Children

Day pass with lunch at O’ Grill (Includes lunch at our O’Grill poolside restaurant)

$50.00 Adults

$37.50 Children

Day pass with Lunch at Market Place (Includes lunch at our Market Place Buffet restaurant)

$75.00 Adults

$56.25 Children

All inclusive day pass options include all food and beverage except for premium liquors and imported beers. Access to beach and pools.

Day Pass - 9:00am - 5:00pm

$115 Adults

$86.25 Children

Night Pass – 5:00pm – 2:00am

$125 Adults

$93.75 Children

All Day Pass – 9:00am – 2:00am

$165 Adults

$123.75 Children

Day Pass Information.pdf

I believe a beer/lemonade combo is called a Shandy. My grandfather used to get them for me in England in the 70's when I accompanied him to the local Pub as a young teenager. Fond memories ...