What Makes a HAL Cruise Director Excellent?

sail7seas

Best CD ever, in over 900 days of cruising, was MARIO last year on Westerdam's South Pacific cruise. He managed to keep us pretty cheerrful despite the constant rain that kept us from visiting most of the islands. He had just the right combination of professionalism and friendliness. I wonder where he is now.

Yes, I did notice the age on this thread. But, why not a reprise of the topic?

Gary Walker, the CD on the Asia Pacific Cruise, 2002, Volendam, the ship's Maiden Voyage to this part of the world was then and remains in my memory the Cruise Director that made a significant difference in my enjoyment of that cruise. He had been paired extraordinarily well with Captain Jonathan Peter Harris for that cruise. Their "Talks from the Bridge" were informative and more creative and enjoyable, i.e. humorous, than any of the comic entertainers employed during that cruise.

Not a HAL CD, but a gentleman by the name of Ray Avon was one who also is a very significant person in the enjoyment of my cruise. He was the CD during my New York to Copenhagen voyage on Royal Viking Sky. He left for vacation in Copenhagen and was replaced by another well qualified gentleman. But, both my traveling companion and I noticed Mr. Avon's absence.

I believe he has moved on - but he wasn't "let go". He was lured by a competing cruise line. Several CD's have been lured as I understand it.

Thanks for this information, kazu. It was my understanding that Mr. Young left the 2016 Grand World Voyage mid-cruise. I found that odd.

I agree with the assessments of Mr. Young. I have sailed with him and found him to be an excellent CD.

Wow. What an "interesting" thread? I can't think of a much bigger "first world problem" than whether one likes or dislikes the CD on a ship!

Almost speechless here!

I'm so darn happy to be able to cruise that I don't care AT ALL who the CD is. And I sure am good at enjoying a cruise so much that I wouldn't let a poor CD ruin my time at sea!

And, no matter how bad s/he is, I certainly would not come on CC and slam them by name! I guess I had a good upbringing.

Best CD ever, in over 900 days of cruising, was MARIO last year on Westerdam's South Pacific cruise. He managed to keep us pretty cheerrful despite the constant rain that kept us from visiting most of the islands. He had just the right combination of professionalism and friendliness. I wonder where he is now.

I agree. Mario was super and the Show Host, Jorge, (who was on his first contract) was great, also.

Wow. What an "interesting" thread? I can't think of a much bigger "first world problem" than whether one likes or dislikes the CD on a ship!

Almost speechless here!

I'm so darn happy to be able to cruise that I don't care AT ALL who the CD is. And I sure am good at enjoying a cruise so much that I wouldn't let a poor CD ruin my time at sea!

And, no matter how bad s/he is, I certainly would not come on CC and slam them by name! I guess I had a good upbringing.

Thank you! I've been away from CC for several years and am sorry to see so many posts that are belittling, judgemental and just downright rude.

CD's are the most annoying people on the ship...

I totally disagree. A good CD acts as a communicator for the Captain, and for some, they provide another source of entertainment. I ALWAYS notice (and praise by review) great ones. Especially on long cruises, they really become part of the “village” that is the ship.

Good ones, at least from my view, actually act like they love their job, and people. They are cheerful and patient, hearing the same stories or complaints day after day. Mark Brignone comes to mind, although he has moved on to Viking They are the face of HAL, and as such, I am sure it’s not an easy job.

Another vote for Mario. Loved him.

I think a great CD only enhances my cruise experience, especially on a longer cruise. Part of the overall enjoyment.

I remember very few CDs. The ones that stand out were those that were either great or terrible. The only CD that has ever fallen into the terrible category, for me, was back in 2003 on a Baltic cruise on the Noordam. It was his first gig and on opening night he had to introduce the Captain to us. He forgot the Captain's name!! How embarrassing! He just went downhill from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another vote for Mario. Loved him.

I think a great CD only enhances my cruise experience, especially on a longer cruise. Part of the overall enjoyment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So agree - Mario and Jorge were terrific. Especially with the unscheduled sea days.

CD's are the most annoying people on the ship...

Yes, I tend to agree if they are not able to be as guest oriented as they ought to be.

As an example of what I am saying: the 2008 World Cruise CD solicited small group presentations for interested guests done by other guests who were experts in their profession. A gentleman at my MDR table volunteered to make such a presentation and he asked the rest of us to assist him in some minor ways. I did. I was shocked that the CD who wanted this addition to his entertainment program did not provide much requested assistance to what the speaker needed, i.e. a microphone and use of the Piano's Bar PA system where the presentation was held. Only a flip chart could be provided. This CD was just one of several of my disappointments on this "Grand" World Voyage.

Yes, I tend to agree if they are not able to be as guest oriented as they ought to be.

As an example of what I am saying: the 2008 World Cruise CD solicited small group presentations for interested guests done by other guests who were experts in their profession. A gentleman at my MDR table volunteered to make such a presentation and he asked the rest of us to assist him in some minor ways. I did. I was shocked that the CD who wanted this addition to his entertainment program did not provide much requested assistance to what the speaker needed, i.e. a microphone and use of the Piano's Bar PA system where the presentation was held. Only a flip chart could be provided. This CD was just one of several of my disappointments on this "Grand" World Voyage.

CD was asking you to do his job . It was for him to make presentations. And certainly to provide necessary tools if he wished for guest experts to offer their services.

You are being kind to only say 'disappointment'. that , at the very least. :loudcry: :evilsmile:

Oh he's an acquired taste, but I learned to respect him.

Another acquired taste was "whoo hoo" Hamish, but he actually wore better as the cruise went on.

I asked him where his "whoo hoo" was (take that as you like, LOL) earlier this year - and he said Seattle instructed him to drop it. Seems there were complaints.

• 11 months later...
Thanks for this information, kazu. It was my understanding that Mr. Young left the 2016 Grand World Voyage mid-cruise. I found that odd.

I agree with the assessments of Mr. Young. I have sailed with him and found him to be an excellent CD.

We were on the 2016 World Cruise and Gene was there for the entire cruise. HAL lost a great CD. Gene was a welcome sight everytime we boarded a HAL Grand Voyage. I understand he was with Viking Ocean for a short time and then went to MSC. We will miss having him as a CD.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I'm with those that seldom remember who the CD was. We don't participate in most of the organized events so only hear them on the daily announcements.

I do have very fond memories of CD David DeHavilland from many years ago. Was funny, and was always mixing and socializing with passengers. I believe he left HAL for Crystal and has now retired.

Some of his stories about his hotel in Britain and experiences around the royal family were great.

We remember the bad ones...those we never see except for at the evening show or planned events, reading prepared speeches. These are never on the pier, and don't speak to passengers in the hall. Some just don't seem to enjoy their jobs,and bristle when challenged at trivia games. One memorable "good" CD was on a Australia circumnavigation. This guy got a lot of the local entertainers on board, was proud of showing off his country, and had a fabulous sense of humor. Did what we could on the (then) cruise review forms. Lately, not so memorable. Many, except for the mandatory pre-show announcements or daily "activities" PA announcements, are invisible and silent. I do think that the reduced staff, along with reduction in activities makes their jobs harder. Nonetheless, these men and women are supposed to be the liaison between the cruise line and the passengers.