Great Stirrup Cay

FirstRodeo

Anyone been there within the past few weeks with some inside tips? I heard there was construction. Wondering if it's still going on? If you can rent snorkel stuff there? If any areas of the island are blocked off? What do you guys usually do there?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My wife and I were on the Norwegian Escape for their Western Caribbean Christmas 2017 cruise. Our last stop was at Great Stirrup Cay and construction is ongoing there.

There were 4 separate beaches but only the first three were accessible. The fourth and furthest was strung off with warning tape. +- 4,000 people left the ship to the island and the crowds were awful. We were told that the week before, two Norwegian ships converged on Great Stirrup Cay and I can only imagine the chaos that must have ensued.

My wife and I were on the Norwegian Escape for their Western Caribbean Christmas 2017 cruise. Our last stop was at Great Stirrup Cay and construction is ongoing there.

There were 4 separate beaches but only the first three were accessible. The fourth and furthest was strung off with warning tape. +- 4,000 people left the ship to the island and the crowds were awful. We were told that the week before, two Norwegian ships converged on Great Stirrup Cay and I can only imagine the chaos that must have ensued.

We're on the Escape in a few weeks and there with another ship. We have a cabana and I was debating whether or not we should keep it. Seeing your post makes me happy that we did book one. It will give us a space and we won't have to worry about finding shade.

I hope the tendering to the island goes a little more smoothly than ours did. Obviously over Christmas, it was very crowded with around 4000 people from the Escape but with a second Norwegian ship tendering to the island, I can only imagine chaos. Keeping the cabana was a very good idea (although I think they're a good distance from the water).

Just as a warning, the return to the ship was very choppy and we wound up with a lot of water in the tender (and on ourselves). Just in case, it might be a good idea to keep extraneous bags etc, off the floor on the way back.

I hope the tendering to the island goes a little more smoothly than ours did. Obviously over Christmas, it was very crowded with around 4000 people from the Escape but with a second Norwegian ship tendering to the island, I can only imagine chaos. Keeping the cabana was a very good idea (although I think they're a good distance from the water).

Just as a warning, the return to the ship was very choppy and we wound up with a lot of water in the tender (and on ourselves). Just in case, it might be a good idea to keep extraneous bags etc, off the floor on the way back.

Thanks for this information. We're in a suite, so that should help some with tendering. Plus, the other ship arrives an hour before we do. And thanks for the heads-up about the possible wet floors. We'll definitely keep that in mind.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...