Maine Lobster

mcrcruiser

We had Maine Lobster on the Nieuw Amsterdam, three different weeks in late 2014. On the Noordam in early 2014. Again on the Eurodam last December.

I have photos in my Live From threads. If anyone can point to their live from posts, I'm happy to look.

DW won't eat warm water lobster. (Bear in mind that we are currently in Florida, so we can get it in season.) She does not like the texture. It's no where near as good. (In our opinions.)

While we are on expensive seafood, I will going on record as really not seeing the appeal of stone crab claws. ;)

Not to mention that if they bring whole lobster onboard, and only serve tails, they are wasting a good bit of money in discarding the knuckles and claws.

Umm, here in Canada, they sell frozen lobster tails. There is no need to worry about waste. The claws and other things are sold in different packaging.

I would think that the ship has access to the same amenities we do. I prefer fresh, but if it is frozen right and you know how to cook it, it's a pretty good substitute.

Not to mention that if they bring whole lobster onboard, and only serve tails, they are wasting a good bit of money in discarding the knuckles and claws.

They can send the claws (the best meat on a lobster) my way :).

Hank

This is not correct. My HAL experience is very limited but on the 4 cruises I've been on, including just last week on Koningsdam, it was definitely warm water spiny lobster served in the MDR. I'm confident of this because I hunted spiny lobster for 20 years when I lived in the Keys. The bright white dots on the tail are always a sure giveaway.

Let's just say we have all had different experiences.

Sometimes I wonder if the food is better quality if the cruise doesn't have to have rock bottom bargain prices to sell cabins, but who knows?

I do know the difference between real lobster and the spiny you speak of.

And, like POA1 I do pics so feel free to look if you want.

the only spiny lobster I had was on the N Amsterdam on our inaugural transatlantic. The lobster I had on the Prinsendam (all 3) and on the Rotterdam was the real deal, for sure. And that was in the MDR.

The lobster served in the PG was definitely Atlantic Lobster (I hate the term "Maine" lobster ;) ) aka cold water lobster.

that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Of course, I only live in Atlantic Canada where we thrive on lobster :)

This is not correct. My HAL experience is very limited but on the 4 cruises I've been on, including just last week on Koningsdam, it was definitely warm water spiny lobster served in the MDR. I'm confident of this because I hunted spiny lobster for 20 years when I lived in the Keys. The bright white dots on the tail are always a sure giveaway.
There's a person from your sailing, who posted photos of their gala dinner on a site we can't link to. The photos are definitely Maine tails. I'd guess chicks from the pictures.

Do you have a photo you can share?

Umm, here in Canada, they sell frozen lobster tails. There is no need to worry about waste. The claws and other things are sold in different packaging.

I would think that the ship has access to the same amenities we do. I prefer fresh, but if it is frozen right and you know how to cook it, it's a pretty good substitute.

I was responding to a poster who saw whole, live lobsters being brought onboard for service. In that case, the "packaging" includes the claws and knuckles.

Regardless of what type is served on cruise ships, basically if I have not steamed, boiled, or deep fried it myself, I'll pass on the lobster. There are a few exceptions here in Portland, though, that I will "choke" down.

There's a person from your sailing, who posted photos of their gala dinner on a site we can't link to. The photos are definitely Maine tails. I'd guess chicks from the pictures.

Do you have a photo you can share?

I don't take pictures of food. I always thought that was weird. I just know what I saw on my cruise.

I don't take pictures of food. I always thought that was weird. I just know what I saw on my cruise.

I know what I saw on my cruises too. And just because others did not have the same experience does not negate the experience I had. I have had both fresh & frozen Maine lobster on my cruise and I have had frozen spiny lobster/langoustine on cruises. It is possible to get fresh Maine lobster on cruises, but it is not guaranteed, even on the Canada/New England routes.

I know what I saw on my cruises too. And just because others did not have the same experience does not negate the experience I had.

I think you're responding to the wrong person. :confused: I never said HAL doesn't serve Maine lobster. My post was in response to someone who said spiny lobster hasn't been served on HAL in several years. That's what I'm disputing because I know it's not true.

Every now and then our local news shows pphotos of blue or yellow lobstters pulled f rom the ocean,, Most o them are donated to aquariums for people to have the opportunity to see that rarity of nature They really are fascinating..

Every now and then our local news shows pphotos of blue or yellow lobsters pulled f rom the ocean,, Most of them are donated to aquariums for people to have the opportunity to see that rarity of nature They really are fascinating..
I've not seen a lobster that is bright red color. when pulled out of a lobster trap,

I was responding to a poster who saw whole, live lobsters being brought onboard for service. In that case, the "packaging" includes the claws and knuckles.

Regardless of what type is served on cruise ships, basically if I have not steamed, boiled, or deep fried it myself, I'll pass on the lobster. There are a few exceptions here in Portland, though, that I will "choke" down.

If it is called a whole lobster, it has to still have its claws and body... I enjoy picking the sweet meat out of the body when I eat steamed lobster at home. I don't do it in a restaurant. :)

All seafood served on ships will be "previously frozen"....but so is what you buy in grocery stores!

As for grocery stores: fresh is possible.

Dungeness crab season just started here last week. We had two nice ones last night - caught in the morning and available at the grocery store later in the afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They have had Maine Lobster on every HAL cruise we've been on since 2014. It's frozen, but it's Maine Lobster and not warm water lobster. Let me just throw out the fact that we lived about a block away from the Maine Lobsterman's Association in Kennebunk, Maine for wellness over a decade. We know our lobster. We can tell fresh from frozen. Heck, my wife can tell the difference between today's catch and "day old tank lobster." (She eats a lot of lobster whenever possible.)

The only warm water lobster we saw was in the lobster shack at Half Moon Cay.

Years ago, HAL served warm water lobster, but they haven't in several years.

I was told on the NA transatlantic cruise in ‘13 that going forward, all lobster would be Maine lobster. The whole sustainability thing. I suppose unless “advertised “ as something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As for grocery stores: fresh is possible.

Dungeness crab season just started here last week. We had two nice ones last night - caught in the morning and available at the grocery store later in the afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Dungeness crab is available and fresh in the SF Bay area, but anywhere else forget it..

On Holland America's "Blog" - there are - number of posts - all except one discussing HAL topics taking place this month - and that one discussing live lobsters being brought on board Maasdam at Bar Harbor in 2012 --- sure sounds/looks like a one off --- and probably the source of a lot of current posts.

On Holland America's "Blog" - there are - number of posts - all except one discussing HAL topics taking place this month - and that one discussing live lobsters being brought on board Maasdam at Bar Harbor in 2012 --- sure sounds/looks like a one off --- and probably the source of a lot of current posts.

I was on Maasddam 2012 and in Bar Harbor, of course, but never saw a fresh lobseter served on the ship that cruise. As I have posted many times, We sailed that itineary, a great many years, b-to b and really, really loved it. The fresh lobsters we had on those cruises were in Halifax, when we lett the ship and enjoyed them for fabulous lunches . :)

I can recall local food deliveries on much earlier cruises, but less now. The fish delivery in Ketchikan was the first I've seen in a few years. I think increased food safety concerns and cost-control of bulk buying from standard suppliers at major home ports have reduced the opportunities.

I was on Maasddam 2012 and in Bar Harbor, of course, but never saw a fresh lobseter served on the ship that cruise. As I have posted many times, We sailed that itineary, a great many years, b-to b and really, really loved it. The fresh lobsters we had on those cruises were in Halifax, when we lett the ship and enjoyed them for fabulous lunches . :)

I'd say that you were not one one of the two itineraries in 2012 where they did actually bring lobsters on board --- and they have been talking about it ever since.

I am inclined to think that a good number of the posters on this thread who talk about regularly having fresh lobster in the MDR wouldn't recognize an Atlantic lobster if it grabbed them by their noses.