Thoughts on the Prinsendam

donaldsc

I have been thinking about booking a cruise on the Prinsendam as the ship is unique and at some point HAL will decide to sell her because she is an expensive ship to maintain. I figured because of her unique small size in the HAL fleet, they might use her for cruises that the larger HAL ships can not do.

No such luck. I looked over all the Prinsendam cruises on the HAL WEB site and she is being used for essentially the same cruises as the rest of the HAL ship. Seems a waste.

Any thoughts?

DON

I have been thinking about booking a cruise on the Prinsendam as the ship is unique and at some point HAL will decide to sell her because she is an expensive ship to maintain. I figured because of her unique small size in the HAL fleet, they might use her for cruises that the larger HAL ships can not do.

No such luck. I looked over all the Prinsendam cruises on the HAL WEB site and she is being used for essentially the same cruises as the rest of the HAL ship. Seems a waste.

Any thoughts?

DON

Really???

She has several "different" itineraries to say the least.

I haven't found equal itineraries for any of the cruises we have done. Sure the Baltic ports may be mostly the same but most don't do an overnight in Hamburg. Most HAL ships stop at HMC on a TA, not Bermuda ;)

I haven't found an equal itinerary to the one we are doing next year nor the ones we have done in the past. But, we are drawn to unique itineraries.

She sails down rivers the others can't go. She docks in some tender ports.

There will always be key ports that most ships "must do" but P'dam has offered us a chance to get to some intriguing ports. JME (Just my experience)

Really???

I haven't found equal itineraries for any of the cruises we have done. Sure the Baltic ports may be mostly the same but most don't do an overnight in Hamburg. Most HAL ships stop at HMC on a TA, not Bermuda ;)

I haven't found an equal itinerary to the one we are doing next year nor the ones we have done in the past. But, we are drawn to unique itineraries.

There will always be key ports that most ships "must do" but P'dam has offered us a chance to get to some intriguing ports. JME (Just my experience)

Mine too!

Roy

Really???

Mine too!

Roy

And mine too! Jacqui you said it all..

Agree with Jacqui.

Our voyage on the Prinsendam included a transit of the Kiel Canal. No other HAL ship will fit through the canal. It was a big thrill to be able to do that.

Wasn't that amazing :) :) :)

We were so close to shore in some spots you could make out the people waving to us. totally enchanting. Such beautiful scenery.

I am looking forward to sailing the Scheldt River next year :)

I still remember Fuerteventura when the CD announced "sorry ladies and gentleman - the Prinsendam will not tender here - you will have to walk. We have docked". That port had built a very small dock for smaller ships and every cruise ship was either to big or reluctant to try it. P'dam docked at it:) We were the FIRST ship to use it and the island was so excited that they authorized a "sail around" and supplied the pilot. We had a marvelous sail around this island that changes dramatically in geography at the end of our port day before we headed out to cross the Atlantic.

that cruise had several tender ports. We only had to tender twice :)

On that cruise (posted on my live thread at the time) Captain also announced that a new dock was in place in the Azores which is traditionally a tender port. Not big enough for the other ships, but fits the P'dam.

Too many memories on this ship of wonderful ports, wonderful crew, wonderful experiences and that's why we are going back.

Edited by kazu

I totally agree about the itineraries. We have been to many wonderful, small, and out of the way ports on her -- too many to mention.

This summer and fall, after her extensive dry dock in May, she was in the best shape we've seen. The Captain and other officers said repeatedly that as long as she keeps making money, they will kept her and spend the money to keep her in good shape. The prediction was at least five to ten more years.

She truly s a special ship, and very comfortable. However, it is her officers, staff and especially her crew that really make her special.

I totally agree about the itineraries. We have been to many wonderful, small, and out of the way ports on her -- too many to mention.

This summer and fall, after her extensive dry dock in May, she was in the best shape we've seen. The Captain and other officers said repeatedly that as long as she keeps making money, they will kept her and spend the money to keep her in good shape. The prediction was at least five to ten more years.

She truly s a special ship, and very comfortable. However, it is her officers, staff and especially her crew that really make her special.

Prinsendam's officers may be looking with rose colored glasses, but I hope they're right. I hope she's at least around for a 2019 Grand South America. That's very high on my priority list.

Roy

<snip>

Really?? That would be fabulous :) if she stays around. I know they put a few extra million into her recently. I sure hope you and the officers are right :)

I know last time we were on, it was made clear to say in our surveys or emails that we wanted this ship if we wanted her to sail past the 5 year mark. Or another ship to replace her. I certainly made that clear :)

I'm not as big a cruiser as some, but next year we will exceed 100 days on this ship and you don't do that unless you love it.

Several years ago I sailed in Prinsendam for a 16 day cruise over to Europe - one reason was because she was built for luxury market cruising and HAL/ Carnival picked her up she still had a certain panache. That said she was showing her age & just because maintainence was done on her HAL had cut staff levels & other cutbacks by Carnival were showing.

Anyone that had sailed in her would know the difference between her & say the current Veendam, which is more of a cruise ship as opposed to an Ocean liner. Sailing in QE2 was certainly different than in QM2.

WE no longer do 7 day cruises & yet the Veendam was great for the NYC- Bermuda run that we did for many years(since the 1970's on different lines)but we gave up after HAL added cabins & made the aft pool a puddle bath. And yet I see HAL has Veendam doing a S.A. cruise. I wouldn't want to be on that ship going around the tip of S.A.!

The quality of HAL has declined so much since Carnival too over - so the bottom line rules - most passengers don't care as long as they get a low per diem & a big OBC. THe marketing of cruises is unbelievable in the smoke & mirror department. But I wouldn't want to be on one of those ships when they break down - even the Amsterdam is at the 20 year mark & reading about the cutbacks on the current world cruise is quite interesting.

We are looking to do the SA run in 2018 - it won't be n HAL or a Carnival Corp Ship - thankfully there's lots to choose from.

Just booked a 2018 cruise on Pdam called "River Explorer" -- the ship actually sails some way up several rivers on the way from Amsterdam to Rome. I'd be surprised if any other HAL ship duplicates this as I'd assume they are too large.

Of course, just to tweak Pdam fans a bit, the ship will be quite a bit LARGER than my current preferred ship, which holds ~350 pax!

Just booked a 2018 cruise on Pdam called "River Explorer" -- the ship actually sails some way up several rivers on the way from Amsterdam to Rome. I'd be surprised if any other HAL ship duplicates this as I'd assume they are too large.

Of course, just to tweak Pdam fans a bit, the ship will be quite a bit LARGER than my current preferred ship, which holds ~350 pax!

I saw that cruise. It looked great. And you're right no other HAL ship can do it.

I have a nasty attitude about flying to Europe - if we are going it has to be more than a couple of weeks and I will not go when the summers are decent (summers are too short here). It sounds like an enchanting itinerary. Enjoy :)

Several years ago I sailed in Prinsendam for a 16 day cruise over to Europe - one reason was because she was built for luxury market cruising and HAL/ Carnival picked her up she still had a certain panache. That said she was showing her age & just because maintainence was done on her HAL had cut staff levels & other cutbacks by Carnival were showing.

Anyone that had sailed in her would know the difference between her & say the current Veendam, which is more of a cruise ship as opposed to an Ocean liner. Sailing in QE2 was certainly different than in QM2.

WE no longer do 7 day cruises & yet the Veendam was great for the NYC- Bermuda run that we did for many years(since the 1970's on different lines)but we gave up after HAL added cabins & made the aft pool a puddle bath. And yet I see HAL has Veendam doing a S.A. cruise. I wouldn't want to be on that ship going around the tip of S.A.!

The quality of HAL has declined so much since Carnival too over - so the bottom line rules - most passengers don't care as long as they get a low per diem & a big OBC. THe marketing of cruises is unbelievable in the smoke & mirror department. But I wouldn't want to be on one of those ships when they break down - even the Amsterdam is at the 20 year mark & reading about the cutbacks on the current world cruise is quite interesting.

We are looking to do the SA run in 2018 - it won't be n HAL or a Carnival Corp Ship - thankfully there's lots to choose from.

Umm per diems are not cheap on this ship unless you snag a last minute deal IMO (and some are free to disagree). So far, the food and service has been superior or a step up to the other HAL ships.

Age has nothing to do with the beauty of the ship other than problems replacing certain window (like the Crow's Nest) that were specially made. Nor does it with the stability of the ship. In fact, if I am crossing the ocean, I would rather be on the P'dam that was made to cross them than some of the newer ships not built to do it.

This ship needs special mates to run the bridge. She's geared to travel the oceans and she does it well. Have you ever asked how old the plane is that you fly? You might be surprised ;)

In any case, you enjoy your cruise and we will enjoy ours. I tend to do honest live reports so stay tuned next year on this one.

I saw that cruise. It looked great. And you're right no other HAL ship can do it.

I have a nasty attitude about flying to Europe - if we are going it has to be more than a couple of weeks and I will not go when the summers are decent (summers are too short here). It sounds like an enchanting itinerary. Enjoy :)

Rest assured I will extend it a few days in Rome (;)) and probably a few in Amsterdam. But unfortunately that's about the limit I can be away from work.

I'm sure I'll feel different one day, when retirement beckons.

saying that when I was on her CCL had added extra cabins to the ship & the A/C & other maintenance was lacking along with fewer crew onboard(w/ the additional passengers from the new cabins) and fewer public rooms. Originally the ship could accommodate all passengers in open seating dining!!!

I prefer the older ships - smaller & usually not so cookie cutter in design. Yes the good old days are gone but I laugh when I read the other boards & what people consider luxury or quality. Crystal Cruise line keeps me laughing.

As far as per diems Prinsendam currently offers per diems of /starting at $211-$215 for inside cabins to $310-$325 for suites per person for cruises to Norway & the 2018 World cruise - both high season & certainly not last minute rates. Where can someone get a quality vacation w/ a room, all meals and service and entertainment plus all the extras at these rates? In March 2017 the rates start at about $120.

I've sailed on older ships that were well maintained - and they were wonderful. Do enjoy your cruises....but I deal w/ reality & value. HAL doesn't deliver for us at this point & is cutting back continuously..

During the May dry dock, HAL spent between $12 and $15 million on the ship according to what we were told during three months on board last summer and fall. They replaced the a/c units with more efficent ones. They also added a stern thruster, which made a big difference in docking and leaving port. In addition to the desalinization unit on board, a reverse osmosis unit was added to make fresh water. Now there is enough capacity to supply the ship with water. There were other improvements on the mechanical side.

Other noticeable changes were in the decor. The carpet in the show room, Ocean Bar and some of the halls had been changed. There was new furniture in both rooms and in the Crows Nest with brighter upholstery. All the rooms were brighter, especially the Ocean Bar. And the broken window in the Crows Nest had been replaced. The Lido had been updated with the Marketplace, new tile and carpet floors and new furniture.

As I said earlier, the ship was in the best shape we'd seen her.

While there were cut backs on the staff in the MDR, we only had slow service occasionally. That being said, they could use more wine stewards. Overall, we thought the food was good, and better than the other ships in the fleet we've sailed.

We would not hesitate to sail on the Elegant Explorer anytime. She does ride the waves well, too.

As far as per diems Prinsendam currently offers per diems of /starting at $211-$215 for inside cabins to $310-$325 for suites per person for cruises to Norway & the 2018 World cruise - both high season & certainly not last minute rates. Where can someone get a quality vacation w/ a room, all meals and service and entertainment plus all the extras at these rates? In March 2017 the rates start at about $120.

The 2018 World Cruise is on Amsterdam (as it has for a number of years) not on Prinsendam.

The 2018 World Cruise is on Amsterdam (as it has for a number of years) not on Prinsendam.

Poster Rotterdam is probably talking about PRDM's 68-Day Grand South America & Antarctica voyage which departs PEV/FLL on 03 JAN 18. You're correct of course; that's not the Grand World voyage which will once again be on AMDM and which will make her Filipino crew very happy since it will call at Manila, P.I. :)

Poster Rotterdam is probably talking about PRDM's 68-Day Grand South America & Antarctica voyage which departs PEV/FLL on 03 JAN 18. You're correct of course; that's not the Grand World voyage which will once again be on AMDM and which will make her Filipino crew very happy since it will call at Manila, P.I. :)

and the P'dam then does the Grand Med when she returns from the Grand So America cruise. The 2018 WC will also stop in Bali for an overnight, so most of the crew will be very happy.

I disagree with your assessment, donaldsc. Prinsendam's itineraries are unusual. A 56 day round trip Mediterranean cruise from Ft. Lauderdale? A 68 day circumnavigation of South America?

I never even heard of some of the ports Prinsendam visits. Fredericia, Denmark? Milford Haven, Wales? Killybegs, Ireland? Glengarriff, Ireland? Vlissingen, Netherlands? Skagen, Denmark? Longyearbyen, Norway? Zadar, Croatia? Gythion, Greece?

Prinsendam does not do the same old same old. No repetitive seven day Caribbean cruises from Ft. Lauderdale. I think that Prinsendam's shortest cruises are 14 days. I do not know if there are any repeat itineraries in her yearly schedule. Maybe larger ships can do these itineraries, but they don't do these itineraries.

The Prinsendam is a mystery of life that we will never understand. Standard for the fleet food and service for twice the per diem. A ship that really showed its age when we sailed. A cabin that lost AC more than a dozen times in two weeks. A cabin in which furniture and door vibration was so bad that the room steward left us stacks of wash clothes to shove in various places to try to quiet the racket. Various areas on the ship smelled musty included our cabin. HVAC system could not handle the cigarette smoke, smoke was bleeding into adjacent public rooms. We didn't receive extra amenities, we still paid for the cabin bottled water so we would not have to drink the sometimes tan colored tap water.

I think you're always going to pay a premium to sail on a smaller ship, even if the food and service are not different. There are simply higher fixed costs per person. (These are spread out more on ships with higher passenger loads.) This was the case when Princess operated several of the old Renaissance line ships as well.

Now I can't speak to whether Prinsendam's food or service quality is higher, I haven't been on her yet. But to have the smaller ship experience, and to visit the more unusual ports offered by a Prinsendam (or other small ship) is high on the list for me, and why I gravitate to smaller ships, despite the higher cost.

Now I can't speak to whether Prinsendam's food or service quality is higher, I haven't been on her yet.

Happily, I can!

Service on the Prinsendam has consistently been better, much faster, and more personal than on the other HAL ships. It is so much closer to what HAL used to be in the long ago. Front Desk personnel remembered what you had asked about, without you refreshing their memory. They had dealt with whatever it was, and all was taken care of in one visit.

Shore Excursion people, likewise. They remembered previous conversations, and what specific concerns the passenger has to make an excursion easier.

What I truly love is that after ordering that pre-dinner cocktail on the first night, by the second night the steward didn't even have to come over to take an order! Just a quick nod & smile, and off they went to get my drink. Correctly. :D

By the morning of the first full day, every steward knew my name.

I would be sitting on my porch, and the cabin steward would be in, do his thing, then come to the door to say goodbye. Fast, efficient service.

My food was at least as good as on other ships, and frequently better. That was the first ship where I had Yorkshire pudding served with my prime rib. It was many cruises later before I ever saw it served on another ship, and it usually isn't served on other ships even now.

I may have to cut back on the amount of cruises I take, but that just reallocates my funds to the Prinsendam. A real "up side"! :)

.................. The 2018 WC will also stop in Bali for an overnight, so most of the crew will be very happy.

True that! Benoa, Bali had about 400 Indonesian family and friends come onboard during the 2016 GWV on AMDM. Tanjung Priok had almost 1,000 and Semarang about 700. Lots of happy faces but she's not going to the latter two in 2018 and instead will do a Benoa plus a Manila overnight