Princess Cays - Leaving the Resort

Jhearts87

Hey Everyone,

I'm hoping for some information on leaving the resort of Princess Cays while at Eleuthera. I have seem some information here that if you leave the resort, there are a few shops just outside, or alternatively, if you walk to the East, along the beach, you will come upon an old graveyard.

I'm curious if you leave the resort if you will find any taxi's or perhaps moped rentals? Additionally, are there any beaches within walking distance that are better for snorkeling? What about beaches that are not within walking distance? Personally I'd prefer not to be clustered with everyone else from the ship on one part of the island, but at the same time, I'm not sure how easy it is to explore.

Light house beach looks nice, but looks pretty far for walking.

Any thoughts, ideas, comments, on leaving the resort without using one of the paid cruise line excursions is much appreciated. I have no issue paying for a taxi or something, I just generally try to avoid the excursions offered by the ship itself.

• Like 1

Princess Cays is not really a resort. It is an area that is used by Princess Cruises for some of their cruises. Private Island experience for beach and beach activities without having to pay extra on another island. You tender in and spend your time where and how you wish to. It is a very nice area with loungers, water activities (extra charge) and beach barbeque options. We were there in March of this year and they had added a few food trucks which was nice for a variety. Could do the BBQ-burgers, hot dogs, etc and the food trucks too. Princess has added more excursions then offered in the past but think of it as your day at the beach day. We don't snorkel so can't answer that nor have we walked beyond the boundaries of the Princess area.

We have been going to Princess Cays for a long time and it's fun to see how this place has changed. Enjoy your day and cruise!

Thanks, sorry I just called it a resort as it's just one part of the island that Princess leases. I was hoping to do a bit more there than just lounge on the beach. I've found a bit of info but not much, so we shall see what others say.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks, sorry I just called it a resort as it's just one part of the island that Princess leases. I was hoping to do a bit more there than just lounge on the beach. I've found a bit of info but not much, so we shall see what others say.

Thanks!

One option is take a trip to Lighthouse Beach with Eleuthera Tours. I have used them twice and will do so for a third time in January. They collect you from the gates of Princess Cays and take you down to Lighthouse Beach for around 4 hours. They will cook your lunch while you snorkel. Check out their reviews. They are excellent. I always look forward to touring Lighthouse Beach with them. Please let me know if you have any questions.

• 2 weeks later...
Princess Cays is not really a resort. It is an area that is used by Princess Cruises for some of their cruises. Private Island experience for beach and beach activities without having to pay extra on another island. You tender in and spend your time where and how you wish to. It is a very nice area with loungers, water activities (extra charge) and beach barbeque options. We were there in March of this year and they had added a few food trucks which was nice for a variety. Could do the BBQ-burgers, hot dogs, etc and the food trucks too. Princess has added more excursions then offered in the past but think of it as your day at the beach day. We don't snorkel so can't answer that nor have we walked beyond the boundaries of the Princess area.

We have been going to Princess Cays for a long time and it's fun to see how this place has changed. Enjoy your day and cruise!

Was just there last Friday with the Regal Princess and loved to see all the improvements that have been made. Loved the food trucks too! Great idea.

One option is take a trip to Lighthouse Beach with Eleuthera Tours. I have used them twice and will do so for a third time in January. They collect you from the gates of Princess Cays and take you down to Lighthouse Beach for around 4 hours. They will cook your lunch while you snorkel. Check out their reviews. They are excellent. I always look forward to touring Lighthouse Beach with them. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Do you ever worry about not getting back to the ship in time?:o

Do you ever worry about not getting back to the ship in time?:o

No, not with Eleuthera Tours. They try to get people back with 1-1.5 hours from the last tender. The tour is never really that far from the ship on this tour either. Some people walk from Princess Cays to Lighthouse Beach. I think it is around 4 miles.

I have had some close calls on private tours on other islands. Last year I was on a tour in Curacao that got stuck in the mud. The company had to call another jeep to tow us out. We made it back with over an hour to spare in the end.

My closest call was on Aruba. I was on a jeep tour and there was a flat tire. The jeep did not have a spare tire or a jack. DH and I made it back on the ship when they were calling our names.

• 3 weeks later...

I have emailed them twice about booking with no response. Is this common? How did you go about reaching them and booking?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
I have emailed them twice about booking with no response. Is this common? How did you go about reaching them and booking?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry to hear that you are having trouble contacting them. They have always been quick to respond to me, but I do remember one of their messages going to my spam folder, so maybe there is a response from them in there? Otherwise your could try phoning their office. The number is on the, "Contact Us," section of their website. I hope that you can get in touch.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I second this. We have also done this tour and had a great time. In fact, when my wife and I did this three years ago we were the only two on the tour. It was pretty awesome.

Sounds like they have improved things at Princess Cays.

We just lounged on the beach but would be interested in a tour of the Lighthouse. How long does that last and is it just a walking tour or the lighthouse area?

I saw something mentioned about snorkeling also on that tour...or am I wrong?

Sounds like they have improved things at Princess Cays.

We just lounged on the beach but would be interested in a tour of the Lighthouse. How long does that last and is it just a walking tour or the lighthouse area?

I saw something mentioned about snorkeling also on that tour...or am I wrong?

The tour lasts for around 4-5 hours from pick up to drop off. There is snorkeling and they provide gear if you need it too. You can even choose if you want to snorkel on the Atlantic or the Caribbean side.

I was so disappointed as my Royal Princess cruise last month missed Princess Cays. The weather was bad and getting worse and the captain was worried about getting everyone back on board. One good thing about Eleuthera Tours is if the ship does not tender you get any deposit made refunded.

The tour lasts for around 4-5 hours from pick up to drop off. There is snorkeling and they provide gear if you need it too. You can even choose if you want to snorkel on the Atlantic or the Caribbean side.

I was so disappointed as my Royal Princess cruise last month missed Princess Cays. The weather was bad and getting worse and the captain was worried about getting everyone back on board. One good thing about Eleuthera Tours is if the ship does not tender you get any deposit made refunded.

Thanks!

We aren't into snorkeling so is there others things to do (besides the obvious beach exploring) on the tour?

• 1 month later...

I'll pipe in on the "is there any other thing to do at the beach" part... Kristel with Eleuthera Tours and fellow cruiser here.

We do also go to the ruins of an old church which are pretty cool. Make sure to stress you want to see the church, as most of the time guests want to get right to the beach. I always stop at the church, but Donald sometimes does not. So just mention it.

When at the beach you can explore along the cliff tops and check out the lighthouse and check out some shallow caves. The snorkeling is excellent and really close to the shore, if that's your thing. We do provide snorkel gear free of charge. And, it's miles of deserted beaches both on the ocean side and bay side for you to walk. Don't forget about the unlimited rum punch, if sitting in a chair under a palm tree with drink in hand, looking at the most gorgeous turquoise waters lapping the shore of a pink sand beach is what soothes your soul!

• 1 month later...

Kristel, are there changing facilities and/or restrooms at Lighthouse Beach?

I'll pipe in on the "is there any other thing to do at the beach" part... Kristel with Eleuthera Tours and fellow cruiser here.

We do also go to the ruins of an old church which are pretty cool. Make sure to stress you want to see the church, as most of the time guests want to get right to the beach. I always stop at the church, but Donald sometimes does not. So just mention it.

When at the beach you can explore along the cliff tops and check out the lighthouse and check out some shallow caves. The snorkeling is excellent and really close to the shore, if that's your thing. We do provide snorkel gear free of charge. And, it's miles of deserted beaches both on the ocean side and bay side for you to walk. Don't forget about the unlimited rum punch, if sitting in a chair under a palm tree with drink in hand, looking at the most gorgeous turquoise waters lapping the shore of a pink sand beach is what soothes your soul!

No, sorry, other than the lighthouse and its "cook house", there are no facilities of any kind at Lighthouse Beach. It is unspoiled and natural. You really need to be a wear your bathing suit and find a bush or the ocean kind of person to enjoy this spot!!!

Kristel, are there changing facilities and/or restrooms at Lighthouse Beach?