Infant on Cruise

Hi Everyone! We have a 2 month old boy and are thinking a cruise in summer 2018 might be a good option for us. From the looks of it Royal Caribbean seems to get good grades regarding sailingwith kids. I am still a bit nervous as he we still only be 7-8 months old. We would likely take advantage of the onboard babysitting options. We figured we could have a few nights out and maybe even leave him onboard at one port while my wife and I could enjoy a relaxing beach day. We have cruised on NCL 3 times and Princess once. We are dying to set sail again and have always wanted to try RC. Am I nuts? Would love your feedback, especially if you have sailed with kids around this age group. Thanks in advance!

Enjoy...just make sure the RCI ship you're considering has the Royal Babies & Tot's Nursery. A great environment for those littlest cruiser's...staffed with childcare professionals. You'll be amazed at how great this can work out for you all.

We've used the nursery several times for our most valuable family members....the "grandbabies"

Families bring their FAMILY on vacations. That's what families do! Definitely make sure the ship you choose has the nursery facilities...not all ship's do. Then...go and enjoy!

Just know you will need to be packing MUCH more than when you cruised as a couple! The ship doesn't sell "baby stuff"..so bring all the diapers, wipes, meds, etc...that you will need!

I do seem to recall seeing a limited supply of "baby goods" in the shops on the Radiance and Explorer that I went on.

Two of my sailings were over Christmas and Newyears and had about 700 kids on board.

My kids were older so did not use the kids activities, but they were there to use and enjoy your "free time" so you not nuts. Just enjoy.

Sounds like fun. I would probably pick a port where you don't have to tender and there is a beach in close proximity to the ship. Just be aware babies are charged as passengers, plus gratuities. Hopefully your little guy will be a good sleeper by then. Any grandparents or aunties who might want to go along? I think that makes it a little easier if someone has to step out of restaurants or shows.

My wife and I took our then 8 month old daughter on freedom last year and did this review if you are interested https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2451361. We did leave her in the nursery while we went on an excursion in st kitts and it went great. Happy to try to answer any other questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't think you are nuts just unrealistic . Leaving a 7 month on the ship while you enjoy the port is pretty scary ..

Absolutely! Bet your wife would never do this. May have worked fine for others but that one time there is an emergency and you are off on an excursion or splashing around in the ocean and can't be reached just wouldn't be worth it.

My wife and I took our then 8 month old daughter on freedom last year and did this review if you are interested https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2451361. We did leave her in the nursery while we went on an excursion in st kitts and it went great. Happy to try to answer any other questions.

Thanks for sharing this review. It was very helpful and has helped ease many of our concerns.

Definitely not nuts! We took our son when he was 7 months old, 9 months old and then on a transatlantic when he was 14 months old. It's definitely more work and planning (you will want to bring ANYTHING you could possibly need as it probably won't be found on board) but we had a great time.

Like the others said, check that the ship you are looking at has the nursery, and not just a parent supervised play time, and if it's important to you a splash pad area (kids in swim diapers can only use one small area that isn't on all ships). We had a great experience with the nursery and were sad to leave the staff at the end of each cruise.

Enjoy and good luck!

Absolutely! Bet your wife would never do this. May have worked fine for others but that one time there is an emergency and you are off on an excursion or splashing around in the ocean and can't be reached just wouldn't be worth it.

We went on a cruise with my 6mo grand niece and her parents and grand baby was with family only. They made the decision they wanted to come on the cruise but they were also committed to being with baby as the night went along.

Getting a random sitter from the cruise? Not something we would ever do. I’m sure it works fine for some. But a 7-8mo old? Can’t you get someone back home to watch the baby? Much more relaxing and safe for all. Or take baby with you and adjust your activities.

I have left my kids onboard at the kids club and gone ashore. Yes, it did give me some pause, but it was the fourth consecutive day of ports and they really wanted to stay in the kids club. We didn't go too far, quick cab ride away from the pier, not on a tour. We went snorkeling for a few hours with our two who wanted to go, the other two were fine.

My kids have been on 18 cruises.

They were at least 3 years old when they started.

Anything age less than that is completely selfish and irresponsible.

There is many other things to do.

You are nuts to bring someone that young on a ship.

Hi Everyone! We have a 2 month old boy and are thinking a cruise in summer 2018 might be a good option for us. From the looks of it Royal Caribbean seems to get good grades regarding sailingwith kids. I am still a bit nervous as he we still only be 7-8 months old. We would likely take advantage of the onboard babysitting options. We figured we could have a few nights out and maybe even leave him onboard at one port while my wife and I could enjoy a relaxing beach day. We have cruised on NCL 3 times and Princess once. We are dying to set sail again and have always wanted to try RC. Am I nuts? Would love your feedback, especially if you have sailed with kids around this age group. Thanks in advance!

You cannot leave your child on the ship and leave the ship without the child. Against the rules.

You cannot leave your child on the ship and leave the ship without the child. Against the rules.

Not on any RCI rules....we easily gave them (The Nursery) our cell phone number while we (family) walked around the port in Juneau Ak. Our 18 month old grandbaby was much happier napping in a crib with the amazing Nursery staff watching over him.

When we travel Carnival, we were not allowed to leave our 12 year old on the ship without us being on the ship also.

Royal Caribbean changes their hours of camp on port days to accommodate the families that are going to port without their children. They fully expect and allow parents to leave the children for the day.

The main reason we didn’t cruise when ds was bitty was finances.

Once we started traveling (still not cruising for another r again) we realized that travel with a baby or toddler is better than being at home, but it’s hardly vacation.

It’s the same stuff, but with fun surroundings.

Even though I wouldn’t do it, that’s just not true. Not on Royal or Disney cruises at least.

My kids have been on 18 cruises.

They were at least 3 years old when they started.

Anything age less than that is completely selfish and irresponsible.

There is many other things to do.

You are nuts to bring someone that young on a ship.

What funny notions. Not sure how cruising is selfish or irresponsible.