Havana through our eyes - June 26 Empress OTS First Havana Overnight

mooline

I've posted a full review of our trip on the RCCL board, but thought I'd share here the content that relates specifically to our experience in Havana. So happy we made this trip; special thanks to VidaNaPraia and others on this board for the very helpful advice that made our trip fantastic!

Havana: In a word, Fascinating!! We heard very mixed reviews among our shipmates. Some were upset by the level of poverty, apparently abandoned dogs and run-down buildings. However, though our eyes, we saw many people doing the best they can to have a good life by their own definition, and a country whose political and economic systems radically differ from ours. That is neither good nor bad, it just is. The Cubans we spoke with - tour guides, shop managers, people on the street have tremendous pride in their country and are eager for the improvements that are slooooowly coming as tourism increases.

We were surprised at fairly long lines for Cuban Immigration, since other CC posters have said the lines are becoming shorter. It wasn't a problem at all, just not as simple we expected based on other posters' comments. Took probably 20 - 30 minutes to clear immigration and the security scans - and we were among the first off the ship.

Money Exchange: Our tours departed very quickly, so there was no time to exchange money. However, all 3 shops where we bought items (including one stop in the Almercera Marketplace) accepted US$, and the merchant simply calculated the 13% exchange/penalty. However, US bank credit cards (including Amex) are still not accepted anywhere as best we could tell.

Ship-sponsored Excursions in Havana: We did the Old Havana Heritage Walking Tour on one day and the Best of Havana Bus Tour on the next day. The walking tour was fantastic. Our guide was highly knowledgeable and engaging; he showed us many little out of the way places that have historic significance to Havana. We also enjoyed a cigar making demo and a cigar -rum- coffee tasting in a beautifully restored hotel. There is stained glass everywhere in Havana and much of it is intricate, making for beautiful sights.

The bus tour was good. The stops felt a bit rushed (though the entire tour was 8 hours long). Along the way, our guide pointed out many significant sites and explained the history of each. We visited Revolution Square, the Colon Cemetery (a must-see), Hemingway's estate (where many classic cars were parked, allowing for good photo ops) and the quirky artist colony called Fusterlandia. We also had a nice lunch in a restaurant called El Tocoroco. Some on the tour complained because they did not think the food was "Cuban enough". We thought it was great! Lunch consisted of rice, shellfish and either a fish or meat accompaniment. We were also treated to a Pineapple Juice and rum drink,with a second drink of one's choice also provided. Dessert was a delicious maple-molasses sponge cake.

We did not do the Tropicana Cabaret, but spoke with others who did. They said the show was fantastic, just be prepared for no dinner - only rum and peanuts. The early seating at 9 pm saw a show starting around 10, running to just past midnight. And - a word to those booking this trip: Apparently there was no difference in the experience for those who purchased the "VIP option". The establishment did not recognize the VIP ticket as being anything different from the regular tickets, and said that the ship paid them one price for all. However, this was the first overnight for Empress, thus the first time that passengers could enjoy the Tropicana excursion, so it may be a simple miscommunication

As we pulled away from Havana on Thursday evening, we felt a sense of sadness watching the many people lined up, waving goodbye to the ship. It felt like we were leaving friends. The Cuban people really touch your heart.

An interesting side note on Havana: No bugs! We sat on our balcony quite a bit while in Havana, and never saw or felt a mosquito, or any other type of insect. Same was true walking around the city.

Here is the linkto the full review posted on the RCCL board, in case you have interest:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2516665

Edited by mooline
typos

... special thanks to VidaNaPraia and others on this board for the very helpful advice that made our trip fantastic!

You are quite welcome. So glad you had an interesting trip!

Havana: In a word, Fascinating!!

We heard very mixed reviews among our shipmates. Some were upset by the level of poverty, apparently abandoned dogs and run-down buildings.

However, though our eyes, we saw many people doing the best they can to have a good life by their own definition, and a country whose political and economic systems radically differ from ours. That is neither good nor bad, it just is.

The Cubans we spoke with - tour guides, shop managers, people on the street have tremendous pride in their country and are eager for the improvements that are slooooowly coming as tourism increases.

The Cuban people really touch your heart.

Very well put.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those who have concerns about the situation of dogs in Cuba, you might consider donating to:

http://www.spankyproject.org/Spanky_Project/Welcome.html

http://spankyproject.blogspot.ca/

The Canadian Not For Profit Spanky Project was founded by Canadian Terry Shewchuk and named after his beloved mutt Spanky. Terry has done marvelous work in Cuba and recruited many volunteers from many different countries, including veterinarians who visit regularly to spay and do health checkups. The project is currently run by an American woman who is a long-time resident of Havana.

It is the first international group to enter into a collective agreement with the Oficina del Historiador de la Ciudad de La Habana (OHCH) for the benefit of animal welfare and humane population control.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We were also on this cruise and thanks to all who had posted on this thread previously, we were able to plan things on our own. I had booked an all day tour with a private company in Havana at a fraction of the price and could not have been happier. The first hour and 45 min was a walking tour in the Old part of the city. The next 5 hrs were in a classic air conditioned car. Our guide was a lovely 25 yr. old who spoke great English. We had lunch at one of the little cafes in a home.

I loved Havana and felt safe at all times. The people are lovely and if I have the good fortune to return some day I have an idea of what to bring as gifts to the people I come in contact with.

Yes there is a lot of poverty but the people are proud of their country and don't complain.

We were also on this cruise and thanks to all who had posted on this thread previously, we were able to plan things on our own. I had booked an all day tour with a private company in Havana at a fraction of the price and could not have been happier. The first hour and 45 min was a walking tour in the Old part of the city. The next 5 hrs were in a classic air conditioned car. Our guide was a lovely 25 yr. old who spoke great English. We had lunch at one of the little cafes in a home.

I loved Havana and felt safe at all times. The people are lovely and if I have the good fortune to return some day I have an idea of what to bring as gifts to the people I come in contact with.

Yes there is a lot of poverty but the people are proud of their country and don't complain.

I am going in a week and a half and I am looking for ideas on what gifts or other items they need most. I was planning on bringing a duffle bag worth of stuff to give out.

I am going in a week and a half and I am looking for ideas on what gifts or other items they need most. I was planning on bringing a duffle bag worth of stuff to give out.

I would contact a church group or charity organization in advance if you plan to take donations

They will distribute them to those in need

If not just leave them at home & donate to a local charity

How you were planning to hand them out?

We were told on the ship during the familiarization lecture that it is frowned upon. The government does not wish the people to think that there will be handouts every time a ship comes in.

It is also a bit insulting, IMO to hand out stuff assuming they need or want it..

Agree that it would be better to donate through an organization.

Alternately, give it to ship staff, they will coordinate with shore side officials.

My experience last week was a group of street kids once swarming me for "anything", I kept walking and they moved on. One woman sidled up during a walking tour asking for candy for her kid, and another asked for shampoo.

Better to help the people with a vote here to get an administration in place that encourages commerce and self sufficiency, rather than one that discourages any hope for it.

........ it would be better to donate through an organization.

Certainly, and if you would like some suggestions for an organization that accepts items (particularly larger quantities of over the counter and prescription medication -- other items, toiletries for example, are subject to shortages, but are able to be found), I could suggest one.

Do understand though that this may mean taking time to get in a taxi and maybe going across town to the appropriate location during business hours. Do not expect a big fuss to be made over your efforts when you arrive, just a polite thank you.

Alternately, give it to ship staff, they will coordinate with shore side officials.

"Shore side officials" likely have a great black market sideline business selling such stuff.

----------------

Glad the cruise lines are orienting passengers on this subject.

Sorry you were subjected to people begging, ED.

And glad to read that you seem to have enjoyed your short time in Havana.

May I ask the name of the tour company that you booked with? Thanks!

We were told on the ship during the familiarization lecture that it is frowned upon. The government does not wish the people to think that there will be handouts every time a ship comes in.

It is also a bit insulting, IMO to hand out stuff assuming they need or want it..

Agree that it would be better to donate through an organization.

My experience last week was a group of street kids once swarming me for "anything", I kept walking and they moved on. One woman sidled up during a walking tour asking for candy for her kid, and another asked for shampoo.

Better to help the people with a vote here to get an administration in place that encourages commerce and self sufficiency, rather than one that discourages any hope for it.

I had read that there are items that are just plain hard to get in Cuba, basic necessities like shampoo, etc. But I can see the point about maybe creating more problems than good. I'll see if there are any charitable organizations that I can bring something to while I'm there. I donate to multiple local causes at home I just wanted to see if there was something I could do.

I had read that there are items that are just plain hard to get in Cuba, basic necessities like shampoo, etc. But I can see the point about maybe creating more problems than good. I'll see if there are any charitable organizations that I can bring something to while I'm there. I donate to multiple local causes at home I just wanted to see if there was something I could do.

I can send you photos of stores in Havana full of shampoo.

I can send you photos I took of drug stores I passed in Vinales and Havana, full of products. (since you may not casually pass these on a ship's tour)

There are often shortages, but eventually most products are available. Hard to get does not always mean impossible to find.

Keep in mind that Cubans are quite well off in comparison with residents of some of their island neighbors. Do not compare them to residents of developed countries like yours.

Did you take shampoo to Brussels or Paris the last time you went, to distribute to the poor there? Those places certainly have poor residents who have a hard time, perhaps even harder than Cubans, making ends meet. How about San Francisco? The large numbers of street people there look to me to be worse off than any Cuban.

However, if you can collect a duffle bag (of a size worth making the trip--ask your neighbors to help) of over the counter and prescription medications, you can bring it during business hours M-TH to the clinic at:

El Patronato on Calle I (letter i) #259, corner with Calle 13 in the Vedado neighborhood. (any taxi driver can find it, about 5 CUC fare from the ship.)

Phone (there may be an English speaker) (537) 832-8953

They supply the poor and frail elderly of any race or religion who come to their center.

(From there, if you wish, you can walk over to the wonderful little Dance Museum devoted to Alicia Alonso at Calle Linea #251, corner of Calle G in Vedado.)

• 9 months later...