Viking Ocean Cruises

Just2guys

We are thinking about a Viking Ocean cruise and are wondering if anyone has taken one and can offer insights regarding their experience. The ship really looks very nice, and the itinerary we are looking at --- Bergen to Montreal -- very interesting.

We know people speak highly of their river cruises, so just wondering if the ocean cruise experience is similar.

Thanks for any information you could provide!

We are thinking about a Viking Ocean cruise and are wondering if anyone has taken one and can offer insights regarding their experience. The ship really looks very nice, and the itinerary we are looking at --- Bergen to Montreal -- very interesting.

We know people speak highly of their river cruises, so just wondering if the ocean cruise experience is similar.

Haven't cruised them, but you're right, the ship looks great. I do know you'll have great food & entertainment. The price is quite a bit higher than a standard line: HAL/Princess etc. More along the line of Oceania(Who Viking seems to be really targeting) I think you'll do fine.

We too have not had the pleaseure of doing a River Cruise yet but have been looking into them a lot lately. Big birthday coming up soon so maybe I'll get a nice big present :D:D

OP: a couple of comments. Five years ago, my wife and I traveled to China with Viking River Cruises -- land trip and river cruise. It was by far one of the best trips we have ever taken. Viking absolutely goes all out to make its trips in China beyond exceptional.

We've been researching European river cruises, and that does not seem to be the case with Viking there, where (at least from my extensive reading here on CC) other companies seem to outshine Viking. This seems especially so when problems crop up (like low water levels), and Viking does not appear to deal with its guests in a way they should. As much as we loved Viking in China, I don't think they are going to make the cut for our first European river cruise; too many horror stories of how they've treated their guests in problem situations.

In short, I'm not sure Viking's river cruise arm, either way, will indicate how an experience on their ocean cruises will be.

I think the Viking Ocean Cruise itinerary you are looking at looks awesome. We love TAs, and have been looking at some north Atlantic crossings like this. HAL does a similar "Voyage of the Vikings," but we won't sail HAL until they stop allowing smoking on balconies.

Re Viking Ocean Cruises, we were a little put off by their super-stratified class system (see link below) that puts every single cabin category (not just suites v. non-suites) into a priority ranking for things like being able to book the *included* excursions, book dining, etc., even boarding times that don't allow the riff raff in the lower verandah (and hardly inexpensive!) categories to get on the ship in time for lunch. Really? Seems a little extreme to us. YMMV of course, and I hope you have a great time if you book this.

http://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/ships/viking-star/staterooms.html

Edited by Turtles06

• 2 weeks later...

My very own one and I are sailing from New York in the VIKING STAR (in, not ON, because we're NOT camping out on the topmost deck) on Oct. 14 on a 14 day cruise to the Caribbean. Will let you know how it is after we return but we have enough faith in Viking Oceans that were booked on the 2017-2018 world cruise...

• 4 weeks later...

My partner and I are also interested in a Viking Ocean Cruise, and from our two Viking River Cruises, we are confident that it would be a great time! From most of the reviews I've read, they are off to a great start. From the look of the ships, I could live permanently on one :D

For those interested, the Danube and the Bordeaux cruises were both outstanding, and we were treated very well by Viking. We've met some wonderful people, and other guests were a fun, smart and active group.

Looking forward to cruise #3 in 2017!

Jeff

• 11 months later...

Resurrecting this older thread to see if any more of my fellow homersexuls have sailed Viking Oceans. Hubby and I are booked on a TA next March and are really excited about the upscale (at least for us) ship. Our "all welcoming" roll call has only three participants and the Gay one is even worse...just me on there talking to myself! So I am most interested in hearing how others fared on meeting folks onboard.

• 2 months later...
Hi there, we are thinking of booking Viking Ocean for March 2018. For those who have already experienced them, what was the age group and vibe of the trip ? We are 48 and 52.

Will be on The Viking Sea - 11 day West Indies cruise starting 1/6/18 out of San Juan. If you don't get an answer sooner, I'll let you know what I observed. Having previously done a Viking riverboat cruise, my hunch is that the ocean cruise age group will likely be from mid 40's to 80's. However, even those on the "older side," myself included, will be on the lively and active side, well educated and traveled and pleasant to converse with and be around.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there from England,

My partner and I have been Viking Ocean twice and LOVE them. We have completed 47 cruises on different lines and rate Viking very highly indeed. We are about to depart on Viking Sea 16th December for a three week Christmas/New year cruise very shortly and already booked for Australia in 2019. Would recommend Viking very strongly. Hope this helps.

Regards, Royal Viking Man.

• 3 weeks later...

We have just returned from our 14 day Viking cruise. Any recommendation of any cruise line must be given with some understanding that not everyone, gay or straight, is looking for the same type of experience. Having been on 91 cruises both straight and gay on over 20 cruise lines I feel qualified to let you know our feelings about Viking.

The age group on our group averaged about 70 years of age and many of the older passengers walked with the help of walkers or canes. But they all seemed intent on doing the best they could. Nobody under 16 is allowed and a maximum of only two passengers are allowed in a stateroom. I never heard any complaints about the cruise and that it is unusual. Viking does not allow motorized scooters. One passenger tried to use one during the cruise but it was put in storage while they sailed and a the lady had to use a manual wheelchair with help.

The atmosphere of the ship is geared to the age of the passengers which is usually not true on the ,mass cruise lines. No loud music, R&B, hip hop or anything that would upset the quiet environment. This makes people talk more quietly so there is a subdued atmosphere. The activities reflect this situation. Except for a small group of singer/dancers, the entertainment after dinner was provided in public areas by three entertainers - an excellent pianist who played both classical and standard pop tunes, an electric guitarist who played soothing music and a classical trio. When there was music over the PA speakers such as at breakfast, it was mostly orchestral, truly background music and you were not aware of its presence. Except for a few modest but entertaining shows by the singer/dancers in the show lounge, the main feature of the activity calendar was lectures by four very well informed men which featured historical, geographical, political and

nature subjects and they were well attended. The ship was basically deserted by 10:30 PM and whatever folks were doing after that was mostly confined to a good TV selection in the staterooms which were very well insulated from the noise of adjoining cabins.

We met some very interesting straight couples with whom we spent most of our time. We did see two or three older gay couples and they seemed most interested in mingling with the straight guests so we never talked to them. However we never felt uncomfortable or felt singled out.

Service everywhere was excellent and no request was too much trouble. Food is very subjective. We found the quality to be very good but food tended to be bland and without much seasoning regardless of the descriptions on the menus. We went to the Italian specialty restaurant and did not find enjoy our entrees, one of which was Italian pasta and the other was swordfish. Therefore we did not try the second specialty restaurant but rather stuck to the main dining room or the buffet upstairs which often was really varied and let us have a larger selection of selections, especially since there was an excellent sushi/sashimi section. Having said all that we found that the food came nowhere near the cuisine that is offered by Oceania but it was usually a notch above the mass cruise lines.

The Scandinavian design of the ship and its concept is unique and extraordinary. Much of the furniture features copies of museum design. And the ship is absolutely immaculate. The open spaces and the feeling that you are in a five star hotel rather than a ship is a splendid accomplishment.

We preferred the concept of having one cabin attendant rather than the usual two since it allowed us tip him more generously.

The included white and red wines for lunch and dinner were of rather good super market quality but we found ones that we preferred and would request them at each meal which was not a problem. And they were poured generously.

Since we tend to spread our travel among many cruise lines, we are happy to encounter this sort of oasis in the desert as opposed to cruises that offer more activites and night life. But I would not want it as a steady diet. Last month we sailed on an Atlantis cruise and while we have booked another Viking Ocean cruise next year, we also are booked for a trans-Atlantic Celebrity cruise in April and a 28 day Tahiti cruise on HAL in 2019.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Amusea.

I will be on the Viking Sea, 11 day W.I. cruise starting 1/6/18.

First solo cruise ever since I lost my partner to agent orange last December.

My age will fit right in but, I'm in good physical shape and active.

I'll enjoy the features of the vessel but have been to all the ports of call previously, except one. However, cannot complain about shore excursions since they are included but paid for two optional ones for snorkeling.

Thanks again for your very detailed observations.