Very First Cruise-Dress Code Help, Please

pugmadkate

Hey, congrats on your first HAL cruise! It's more casual than in years past. Perhaps this blurb from my cruise contract for my upcoming cruise next month will be helpful:

"Clothing: Daytime dress is casual. Pack appropriately for the climate in which you’re sailing. We suggest clothes that can be layered and possibly a raincoat, waterproof hat or umbrella for time ashore. Shirts/cover-ups and footwear are required at all times in the ship’s interior. Most evenings smart casual attire is appropriate. Pool/beachwear, distressed jeans and men’s tank tops should be left to daytime and poolside. Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including a five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. For gentlemen, jacket and tie are appropriate, collared shirt and slacks are required in all restaurants except those on Lido Deck which permit jeans, shorts and T-shirts. Formal wear for gentlemen can be pre-ordered for use during your cruise by calling Cruiseline Formalwear at 1-800-551-5091 or (305) 252-6565. For more information please visit cruiselineformal.com. Your formal wear will be in your stateroom when you board."

Hyperbole at its finest! Why do folks feel the need to do this? :confused::o

I thought hyperbole was appropriate for a dress code thread.

Besides that, it is an accurate statement to say that: "Gala Nights are simply buffet food served on better plates" because you can get the same food in the Lido.

You do realize that you are quoting someone from over 4 months ago, right?

Ummmm, yes. But I continue to be intrigued by folks who say things like 'dress jeans', and always wonder what the heck those are! :confused:

To answer your question I would guess $14.99 Costco wranglers would qualify ;p.

Excellent, thanks! I was just honestly curious as to whether my brand new Costco Wrangler jeans qualified as 'dress jeans'. ;):)

I thought hyperbole was appropriate for a dress code thread.

And what made you think that?

Besides that, it is an accurate statement to say that: "Gala Nights are simply buffet food served on better plates" because you can get the same food in the Lido.

A completely ridiculous statement.

Ummmm, yes. But I continue to be intrigued by folks who say things like 'dress jeans', and always wonder what the heck those are! :confused:

Excellent, thanks! I was just honestly curious as to whether my brand new Costco Wrangler jeans qualified as 'dress jeans'. ;):)

Costco Wranglers would be appropriate on Carnival, as would those purchased at WalMart. Buy your Wranglers from a proper Western store, and you'd fit right in with the Rodeo Queen and her court at their Coronation Ball ;) Sometimes, clean jeans are the "dress jeans." ;) (couldn't resist)

Costco Wranglers would be appropriate on Carnival, as would those purchased at WalMart. Buy your Wranglers from a proper Western store, and you'd fit right in with the Rodeo Queen and her court at their Coronation Ball ;) Sometimes, clean jeans are the "dress jeans." ;) (couldn't resist)

But... but Florida Gal told me that my brand new Costco Wranglers would qualify. Now I'm really confused! :o:rolleyes:

A banded collar is, after all, a shirt with no collar. A polo is therefore more acceptable than a banded collar shirt LOL. OK I am running away now hah

On a more technical note, banded collars come from shirts that had detachable collars back in the day. Wearing one to a meal would have been unacceptable except in the servants's hall..and even then NO for dinner lol.

Jeans, or dungarees, would be acceptable if one were a gardener having lunch out in the fields.. that's why gardeners didn't have meals in the servant's hall where a jacket and trousers were required lol.

We don't live in the world of Downton Abbey anymore of course, but it's fun to look back and see where these clothing norms come from.

My advice is one can never be too dressed up on gala nights, but it's easy to feel awkward if too under-dressed. "Dress to impress" means just that. I've been at tables where one couple felt awful being in clothes way more casual than the other three couples.. they disappeared and never came back after the first gala night. I hated that, cause they were really nice.

Edited by MaxThrusters

Actually, today's banded collar shirts do have collars... They have banded collars. And they can trace lineage more readily to Nehru than Downton Abbey.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I've gone to charity shops thinking if it's cheap enough, I can leave it behind. Twice I've bought jackets like that--one a lightweight knit and one a wool blazer--and after wearing them a few times I liked them so much I kept them.

It would be great if there was a list of places near cruise ports where clothing could be conveniently left behind (donated to charity). Much of my clothing is from thrift stores and re-donating would be an easy decision. Especially in the Eastern Caribbean this year.

Many passengers do not feel that Gala Nights are special and they dress accordingly. If the cruise lines want to be "honored" by their paying passengers, the cruise line should create a special dining experience.

Right now, Gala Nights are simply buffet food served on better plates. Why should passengers pretend that Gala Nights are special when they can get the same food in the Lido?

While I doubt you're alone in having that perspective, I can't see the logic of it. Are you saying how good you make yourself look is dependent on how special your food will be? I guess there's a correlation, but IMO making one depend on the other isn't a proper attitude.

I found Alaska to be a little less formal than other destinations. My husband wore dark grey dress slacks and a white shirt with tie and a Navy blazer and I wore black satin dressy slacks with a cocktail/sparkly top and nice accessories. We felt we were dressed fine for the occasion (some may disagree) and had a wonderful time.

When we cruised to Alaska, two of the guys did not want to get dressed up. One wore black jeans in the MDR and it was fine. He had black slacks for the 2 gala nights and a button down shirt. The other one wore khakis and. Polo shirt every night. Neither was uncomfortable nor did they even notice what anyone else was wearing. I brought a pair of black pants, ballet flats and 2 nice tops for the 2 gala nights. I wore a dress when we went to the PG with those same flats. No one will shame you or say anything as long as you adhere to the minimum dress code. I think the 20 something can get away with distressed or ripped jeans in the MDR. Dress jeans to me is a contradiction in terms,lol. I’m in jeans all the time so when I’m getting dressed up, they’re the last thing I want to wear. Capris and leggings would probably be OK in the MDR on a non gala night. I wouldn’t bring capris to Alaska though. And there is always the Lido. Same food as the MDR usually. And lastly when you get rooms service , it’s a chance for a romantic dinner for two. You’re not locking yourself up! Sometimes it’s nice to eat a nice meal on your balcony in your bathrobe..[emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When we cruised to Alaska, two of the guys did not want to get dressed up. One wore black jeans in the MDR and it was fine. He had black slacks for the 2 gala nights and a button down shirt. The other one wore khakis and. Polo shirt every night. Neither was uncomfortable nor did they even notice what anyone else was wearing. I brought a pair of black pants, ballet flats and 2 nice tops for the 2 gala nights. I wore a dress when we went to the PG with those same flats. No one will shame you or say anything as long as you adhere to the minimum dress code. I think the 20 something can get away with distressed or ripped jeans in the MDR. Dress jeans to me is a contradiction in terms,lol. I’m in jeans all the time so when I’m getting dressed up, they’re the last thing I want to wear. Capris and leggings would probably be OK in the MDR on a non gala night. I wouldn’t bring capris to Alaska though. And there is always the Lido. Same food as the MDR usually. And lastly when you get rooms service , it’s a chance for a romantic dinner for two. You’re not locking yourself up! Sometimes it’s nice to eat a nice meal on your balcony in your bathrobe..[emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The person I saw on my cruise on gala night in distressed jeans appeared to be well into her 40's. They let her into the MDR no problem. I suspect Hal will not stop anyone from entry unless they are in shorts.

Edited by Florida_gal_50

While I doubt you're alone in having that perspective, I can't see the logic of it. Are you saying how good you make yourself look is dependent on how special your food will be? I guess there's a correlation, but IMO making one depend on the other isn't a proper attitude.

Actually, I agree with you. I was commenting (below) on another comment (also below) that asserted that one had an obligation to dress up because of the special nature of the dinning experience.

I find it amusing that some one would assert that one had an obligation to dress up when that same "special" menu is also available in the Lido. Doesn't that mean that one should dress up to dine in the buffet?

Many passengers do not feel that Gala Nights are special and they dress accordingly. If the cruise lines want to be "honored" by their paying passengers, the cruise line should create a special dining experience.

Right now, Gala Nights are simply buffet food served on better plates. Why should passengers pretend that Gala Nights are special when they can get the same food in the Lido?

The tables are set with silver and white linens, The waiters are in special uniforms. The lights are low, flowers on the table. The menu is intended to be a bit more opulent. Many of your fellow diners will use that night to dress more formally for the occasion, as in the tradition of ocean liners of yore. It is just a few nights on every cruise that ask for something a little more special than the normal nights attire.

Wear whatever makes you comfortable. If the special setting or being your fellow passengers who chose to honor that special night does not encourage you to also respond in kind, then pay no attention and do what works best for you. After all, it is all about you. It is your vacation.

I find it amusing that some one would assert that one had an obligation to dress up when that same "special" menu is also available in the Lido. Doesn't that mean that one should dress up to dine in the buffet?

Amusing or not, HAL's guidelines for dining attire are pretty clear; and they are different for the MDR and Lido buffet.

Amusing or not, HAL's guidelines for dining attire are pretty clear; and they are different for the MDR and Lido buffet.

The problem is that they don't adhere to their guidelines, at least on the cruises I've been on. Why not just get rid of them and/or make every night smart casual.

Actually, I agree with you. I was commenting (below) on another comment (also below) that asserted that one had an obligation to dress up because of the special nature of the dinning experience.

Aha. We'll I guess it would indeed mean that, if one assumes what they said was true. Your inference is food for thought.

For me the kind thing to do is to defer to a tradition when it doesn't harm anyone and there's no absolute truth involved. (In this matter, though, we actually enjoy the tradition- getting spiffed up is a change of pace for us).

The person I saw on my cruise on gala night in distressed jeans appeared to be well into her 40's. They let her into the MDR no problem. I suspect Hal will not stop anyone from entry unless they are in shorts.

Absolutely not true. On our last HAL cruise, a couple arrived at the MDR on Gala Night and the man was wearing jeans. The Maitre 'D politely asked him to go change into a pair of slack (he was wearing a collared shirt with the jeans). His wife was clearly unhappy with him and had an "I told you so" look on her face. He went back to change and she went to the table and enjoyed a glass of wine while she waited.

Just because it's accepted on one ship doesn't mean it will happen on the next. It's better to be prepared than turned away.

I believe the point was solely that it is not defence to the food that warrants compliance, as some implied earlier, but rather deference to the host and the obligations of hospitality.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I believe the point was solely that it is not defence to the food that warrants compliance, as some implied earlier, but rather deference to the host and the obligations of hospitality.

Or, more simply, the Gala Night menu is nothing special since the same items are served on the buffet.

I disagree with equating the cruise line as the "the host". While I agree that the cruise line has the capability to impose whatever rules they like but until the cruise line are pays for the dinner, the cruise line is not "the host".

Or, more simply, the Gala Night menu is nothing special since the same items are served on the buffet.
That's not the context of your earlier comment:

In that comment, as you can see, you were referring specifically to the obligation to dress up, and you rightfully pointed out that claiming that that obligation stemmed from the "special" menu made no sense, since the same menu was available in the buffet.

I disagree with equating the cruise line as the "the host".
I'm sorry but I see no foundation for such a claim other than a rejection of English as a language where words have meanings, or a rejection of the basic principles of hospitality, and the denial of the existence of the hospitality industry itself, which is absurd given that your claim only has context if there is a hospitality industry with hotels and cruise ships and such.

I'm sorry but I see no foundation for such a claim other than a rejection of English as a language where words have meanings, or a rejection of the basic principles of hospitality, and the denial of the existence of the hospitality industry itself, which is absurd given that your claim only has context if there is a hospitality industry with hotels and cruise ships and such.

Now I understand :rolleyes: