XPedition to Galapalos 7 Days + Machu Picchu

capsoncc

Has anybody done just the 7 day cruise portion of Galapagos? We want to do the 7 day cruise and then do Machu Picchu on our own, but celebrity was majorly pushing us to book their 10 day cruise tour as minimum. Looking at this I know it includes hotels and flights, but there seems to be significant difference in price, and I am sure Celebrity is charging a premium for the hotels and flights.

If anybody could share their experience booking the 7 day cruise only it would be greatly appreciated.

Has anybody done just the 7 day cruise portion of Galapagos? We want to do the 7 day cruise and then do Machu Picchu on our own, but celebrity was majorly pushing us to book their 10 day cruise tour as minimum. Looking at this I know it includes hotels and flights, but there seems to be significant difference in price, and I am sure Celebrity is charging a premium for the hotels and flights.

If anybody could share their experience booking the 7 day cruise only it would be greatly appreciated.

Check the review section. I have been reading them in preparation for a booking as well. We did a six day tour in Peru prior to our Infinity sailing....needed all six to see what we did. Previously we'd looked into land tours which included air...pretty reasonable but we didn't want to fly twice. We will probably do the Quito add-on.

I did some calculations and found that the 10 day tour offered by Celebrity Xpedition was good 'value for money'!

They do take care of you from you arrive into Quito on the Friday until departure Monday after the cruise. I did chose to stay additional days in Quito rather than go to Machu Picchu.

You need to arrive two days early into Ecuador, and if you do the 7 day cruise you need to fly into Baltra the day before. If any flight delays you will miss the entire trip.

You can find more information on my blogs:

Planning the trip galapagosexpedition.info

Quito pre- and post cruise - quito-2013.blogspot.dk

Travel to Galapagos - traveltogalapagos.info

[YOUTUBE]VUet1UeN-1o[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by hallasm
spelling mistake

For what it is worth, although we did not do the 7-day on our own and did the 10-day package, I think it was worth it even if it costs a bit more than DIY. Everything, seriously everything, is taken care of for you, which lets you focus on enjoying Quito and the Galapagos. The Marriott hotel Celebrity uses is quite nice, and it was great not to worry about any transport issues or baggage. Our only regret is that we did not tack on the Machu Picchu portion, whether with Celebrity or on or own, seeing as we were down that way (so to speak) anyhow.

We never, ever book cruise line packages. Generally a horrendous waste of money for a tiny bit of convenience.

Except the Xpedition trip. Yes, there is a premium, but minor in the big picture to have everything handled from Quito through the cruise and back. Great hotel in Quito, chartered flight, etc. Everything handled.

And yes, definitely do Machu Picchu on your own. We did it for less than 1/3 that Celebrity wanted and spent lots more time at the ruins, wonderful accommodations in Aguas Calientes (instead of having to shuttle back to Cusco immediately) and the option of spending the morning of the next day at the ruins.

Did you do Machu Picchu after your Galapagos cruise? If so, did you fly to Lima/Cusco from Quito? We think Celebrity's Machu Picchu add on is VERY pricey and feel that we could possibly do it for a lot less on our own.

Did you do Machu Picchu after your Galapagos cruise? If so, did you fly to Lima/Cusco from Quito? We think Celebrity's Machu Picchu add on is VERY pricey and feel that we could possibly do it for a lot less on our own.

We did Machu Picchu after Xpedition. Quito to Lima on our own, then the tour operator took over. Overnight hotel in Lima, Lima to Cusco next AM, overnight in Cusco, first class train to Aguas Calientes (not the Hiram Bingham), directly to Machu Picchu, all day at the ruins (restaurant lunch included), hotel in Aguas Calientes. Return to the ruins the next morning, train to Cusco in the afternoon. Overnight in Cusco. Cusco to Lima the next day. All was included in our tour at around $1000 pp. We were actually at lunch in the restaurant after touring the ruins for a couple hours when the Celebrity people arrived (they were on the Hiram Bingham). They also left when we were still at the ruins.

It all depends on if you are comfortable in organizing everything else on your own beyond the cruise. You will spend a bit of time on a DIY plan, but be paid off with probably better experiences and save some $$. You do need to get to SA a couple days early to aviod missing out on the cruise. ECCruise had a great plan IMO.

We did Machu Picchu after Xpedition. Quito to Lima on our own, then the tour operator took over. Overnight hotel in Lima, Lima to Cusco next AM, overnight in Cusco, first class train to Aguas Calientes (not the Hiram Bingham), directly to Machu Picchu, all day at the ruins (restaurant lunch included), hotel in Aguas Calientes. Return to the ruins the next morning, train to Cusco in the afternoon. Overnight in Cusco. Cusco to Lima the next day. All was included in our tour at around $1000 pp. We were actually at lunch in the restaurant after touring the ruins for a couple hours when the Celebrity people arrived (they were on the Hiram Bingham). They also left when we were still at the ruins.

Would you mind sharing the tour operator you used from Lima? 23 years ago I did Machu Picchu on my own, I am sure a lot has changed, including needing to hire a man to order for us in some resturants! My husband wants to go after our Galapagos trip.

I am afraid of being that person who keeps pointing out how much has changed.

Edited by hulamoon

Would you mind sharing the tour operator you used from Lima? 23 years ago I did Machu Picchu on my own, I am sure a lot has changed, including needing to hire a man to order for us in some resturants! My husband wants to go after our Galapagos trip.

I am afraid of being that person who keeps pointing out how much has changed.

Don't know if you can quote tour operators here, but if you wanted to "enjoy Peru" you would probably fine one...

And except for the couple minutes it took to book the Quito to Lima flight, the Machu Picchu portion was as seamless as the Xpedition portion. Transfers from the airport, baggage handling, transfers to the train, etc., etc. with virtually no time spent planning by us (which is pretty unusual for us, but nice to have it all handled).

Don't know if you can quote tour operators here, but if you wanted to "enjoy Peru" you would probably fine one...

And except for the couple minutes it took to book the Quito to Lima flight, the Machu Picchu portion was as seamless as the Xpedition portion. Transfers from the airport, baggage handling, transfers to the train, etc., etc. with virtually no time spent planning by us (which is pretty unusual for us, but nice to have it all handled).

Thanks so much for the information. Did you book your flight as a return to Quito with a stopover in Lima on the return portion?

Thanks so much for the information. Did you book your flight as a return to Quito with a stopover in Lima on the return portion?

No, since the flight to Lima was included in the tour, we left it at that since we were flying to Rio to book an Oceania TA later that week.

Yes! Tour operators are allowed. Sounds like yours was perfect. Unless they are a travel agent selling cruises. Sounds like a great trip!

• 5 months later...

ECC cruise. My e-mail is Jacknolan17@yahoo.com. Any chance you would e-mail the name of the cruise operator you used to set up this Machu Piccu trip and what itinerary you took? Thanks much in advance?

Edited by JackN

Hi all,

Doing the 15 night Galapagos & Machu Picchu add on in March and in light of recent comments on this thread did check out a 'like for like' costing. There really isn't much in it. So for seamless transfers and peace of mind we're looking forward to all that Celebrity has to offer.....:cool:

Make sure u have travel insurance that covers Earthquakes and volcano eruptions! Currently have 2 volcanoes that are active....the closest 1 to Quito..Cotopaxi is only 50 km away and their are many scenarios on what can take place if it does erupt, Right now only gas and ash coming out,. There is another Volcano further to the south that has been active since 1999 and had an eruption earlier in the year and possibly more in the future! Cotopaxi they say has a 60% chance of erupting within the next 6 months,and they say 80% within the next year, but only guesses, could happen today or years down the road! Could be a slow and peaceful eruption, or total chaos! Good times!

• 3 months later...

A certain online agency is offering a special on the 10 day Galapagos package if you book with them. It turns out that the price they are asking is exactly the same as the 10 day package if booked directly with Celebrity. As per our past experiences, the "deal" is in the form of extra OBC, in this case $1000 per cabin, However, from what I have heard about Xpedition, there is little to spend the money on as there are no specialty restaurants and drinks are included, as are excursions.

For those who have done the Celebrity Galapagos cruise, did you spend much extra money on board?

A certain online agency is offering a special on the 10 day Galapagos package if you book with them. It turns out that the price they are asking is exactly the same as the 10 day package if booked directly with Celebrity. As per our past experiences, the "deal" is in the form of extra OBC, in this case $1000 per cabin, However, from what I have heard about Xpedition, there is little to spend the money on as there are no specialty restaurants and drinks are included, as are excursions.

For those who have done the Celebrity Galapagos cruise, did you spend much extra money on board?

If it's who I think you are talking about (sent an email today) they offer it as a credit for choice air. We got a $1,300 air credit from them.