Picture-A-Week 2017 - Week 33

pierces

This is what our pepper plants looked like a few weeks ago:

enhance

This is what is left of our pepper plants. DH only got 3 peppers from the plants before the ground hog got up on the post sometime when we weren't around and chewed off the lower peppers as well as all the leaves: (there are a couple of new peppers forming -- hope he doesn't get them)

enhance

Cool shot of the rocket. That would be nice to be closer to that place - I'd be there all the time. I see them a minute or two after launch from my backyard down in S. Florida, but they're mostly just thin orange fire streaks.

Here are some weekend wildlife shots with my new lens, plus teleconverter - nice to finally have some good optical reach in a native lens for my mirrorless system - this is a 100-400mm lens with a 1.4x teleconverter, so 140-560mm, plus crop factor of the APS sensor. The lens has an excellent close focus ability of around 3 feet even with the converter attached:

Yellow-crowned night heron hanging out in the trees, trying to hide in the shade:

original.jpg

Great egret landing up on a dead tree:

original.jpg

A bee on a flower, with some kind of miniscule beetle hanging out too:

original.jpg

A pied-billed grebe, swimming by:

original.jpg

Closeup of a red dragonfly:

original.jpg

Opportunity presents itself via many possible paths. On the way back from scouting eclipse shooting sites, we passed a field of Willamette Valley hops. Never having seen how the flower that adds magic to so many of my favorite beverages is grown, we stopped to take a few photos. As we were pulling away after many shots, our friend Lynne says; "Oooohh..rainbow!". We back up, I lean out the window and wait for the sprinkler to make another pass. Suddenly a row of hops on a wire becomes part of a visual story where magical faeries swoop down from the land of IPA and bless the hops with the power to create brews worthy of the Ale Gods. Or refraction. Probably refraction.

That Magic Moment

p2484171556-5.jpg

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...