GeoCaching and Cruising

Geocachi

Any cruisers who are also geocachers out there? What are the best geocaching cruises you have been on? Geocaching is a great way to create your own shore excursions. Google "Cruise Caching" for information about geocaching while on a cruise.

Rachelle,

We have geocached on 2 cruises. Got for 1st "foreign" cache in the Bahamas last October. Then in December we were on a 10-day cruise to Mexico from San Diego. We found 10 caches in San Diego before departing on the cruise then found a total of 7 more in the 5 Mexican ports we visited. It was a great time, and we saw some cool places.

If your going to geocache on your next cruise be sure to Google "Geocaching Cruises" or "Cruise Caching". You'll get some good info on caches in many of the ports cruise ships visit.

Exploring the world... one cache at a time.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I have picked up 18 countries geocaching. There are caches in Machu Picchu, Russia, China, etc. Some times my wife and I hike, other caches are in the city. It is a good way to work off the cruise food.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

My wife and I have been "caching" for about 6 or 7 years now and have done it on many cruises. In 2008 we did two transatlantics and I had downloaded all the caches near the ports of call...we hit most of them. Also a med cruise last summer and a norwgian fjord cruise yielded many beautiful places. I would rather head out by foot with my GPS at a port than go on the overpriced tours that they try to sell. A week today we head out on the Voyageur of the Seas from Galveston and there are caches in Roatan and Cozumel....I haven't found any in Costa Maya as yet...if anyone knows of any there..pls let me know....see you on board

• 1 month later...
I am leavng for a cruise at the end of the week. Does anyone know where I can find coordinates for caches in ports of call?? I would love to get a few international caces while out and about.

Just use the map tool on geocaching.com or the Google Earth .kml plug in. That worked fine for us on our recent Transatlantic on RCCL. We were able to pick out several good caches in each port.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We did some geocaching last week on Cozumel. We rented a jeep so we could drive around on our own. We found 2 caches on the east side of the island and one in downtown San Pedro. I posted our finds at Geocaching.com .

• 2 weeks later...

It's definitely worth researching via geocaching.com before you go there, so you have some idea of where you want to be looking.

It's not so much of a cruising destination, but I picked up a few on Easter Island when I was there last year.

This November I'm going on a photography expedition from Ushuaia to the Falklands, South Georgia, and Antarctica, and it just so happens there are caches accessible in each of those locations. As if we didn't have enough to do already! :)

In fact I'll be one of the photography instructors on the trip, but I intend to do a bit of geocaching on the side. In the interests of not posting links that I shouldn't, I think I can still say that it's Antarctica 2010: A Photo Odyssey.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I haven't geocached on any of our cruises, but always letterbox (having looked up clues beforehand).

Some we find, some we don't--but it's always fun.

Nice to find a single mention of 'letterbox' somewhere on the CC boards!

St_Maarten-25.jpg

There are several letterboxes sprinkled up and down the Lesser Antilles.

Check www.atlasquest.com and/or www.letterboxing.org for clues.

There are several on my island..

Something like a Carnival Victory cruise might provide some opportunities

• 1 month later...
Any cruisers who are also geocachers out there? What are the best geocaching cruises you have been on? Geocaching is a great way to create your own shore excursions. Google "Cruise Caching" for information about geocaching while on a cruise.

I have also done many caches at home, first cruise i did some on was last september 2009 in Alaska, i wish i had known about Googling it. i just happen to have the Geocaching App. on my Iphone so i just looked to see if there were any close to port, i think i only did 1 or 2 just to be able to say i now have Alaska as a new state.

It would be really fun if we some how could put a Group Together of Geocahers. i would love to try it:cool:

It sure is nice to have stumbled across this thread.

We geocache a lot around home and surrounding states.

Next week is our Mexican Riviera cruise and I have the coordinates of caches in Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta.

Can't wait to find them!

Also it was very interesting to learn about letterboxing. I am going to read up on it and give it a whirl too!

Geocaching is a great way to find those hidden away places that you would have never seen before. Such fun!

Cache On! :D

• 3 weeks later...
I have also done many caches at home, first cruise i did some on was last september 2009 in Alaska, i wish i had known about Googling it. i just happen to have the Geocaching App. on my Iphone so i just looked to see if there were any close to port, i think i only did 1 or 2 just to be able to say i now have Alaska as a new state.

It would be really fun if we some how could put a Group Together of Geocahers. i would love to try it:cool:

Well just join us on the Carnival Spirit Alaska Cruise out of Seattle in July. Right after Geowoodstock several cachers going and planning on picking up some caches. :D

• 3 weeks later...

We incorporate geocaching in our cruises but was wondering if anybody knows of any geocaching themed cruises? We just got back from Alaska and a little bummed we didn't time it around GeoWoodstock.

For a while, our farthest geocache (over 6000 miles) was called Airborne in Santorini. We reached that cache by traveling on the Regent Seven Seas Navigator in 2007. But last December we bested that distance by taking the Star Princess to Ushuaia (over 7000 miles). It certainly adds a level of excitement to finding the cache to know that you've got to get there, find it, and get back before the ship sails. Love it!

We tend to rely more on printouts that we bring from home than from our gps - enabled iPhone or iPad. Not being supergeeks, we aren't always sure how to manage the wifi or 3Gs signals. As a backup, we can program the coordinates into our Garmin Oregon, but that seems so old fashioned now that we have the iPhone. Just imagine, we used to do this with just a lat/long enabled Magellan GPSr from 2001! No maps, no hints. What I love about the iPhone app is the feature that finds the nearest cache, no matter where you are. What I love about the iPad is the HUGE display (using the iPhone app...there isn't a dedicated iPad app yet).

Well just join us on the Carnival Spirit Alaska Cruise out of Seattle in July. Right after Geowoodstock several cachers going and planning on picking up some caches. :D

If only we would had seen that before we went in June.

We have done GeoWoodstock before and had lots of fun - most geeks in a single location ever (okay - might not compare to the X Files convention we went to one year) - I must admit - my husband is the geek, not me :D