Bear Watching at Icy Strait Point

Foxhill

MercedMike: You have mentioned several times about the great experience you have bear watching with Keith from Tekk Outfitters. Can you tell me how long the excursion was and what the price was? I looked up his web site but there is no detailed information regarding the bear watching excursion, pricing, etc.

I am the original "recommender" , going with him his first year in the cruise ship tour booking business. The tour I went on, ran 3-4 hours.

I suggest you contact him directly and inquire what his current timeframe is.

Well, Keith is pretty flexible.

What happened on our tour was this:

We got off the ship and met Keith. There was another party booked to go with us, so we waited for them. After about half an hour, Keith took us into Hoonah for a tour of the town, including his house with the moose antlers and all that. Along the road we saw numerous eagles nesting. Then we went back to ISP to check on the other party. They never showed up. Keith arranged with a friend to wait for them, just in case, and we went off on our tour.

I have a report (slightly humorous) at http://www.bully4.us/volendam.html. We spent about 4 hours on the logging roads, getting further and further off the beaten track. Keith had asked whether we wanted to stay with the van, or get out and hike around more. We chose to stay with the van but some groups can go hike. (Keith carries a gun just in case.) All along the way Keith pointed out salmon, bear sign, scenery, logging and lots of other interesting stuff. We had a good close up encounter with "Toby", a good size bear fishing his way up the stream. After meeting the bear, Keith admitted he was always more relaxed when we had seen OUR bear! We did a bit more looking and then drove back into Hoonah, settled with Keith, and stopped for crab at "The Office Bar." I would say that we actually spent 6 or 7 hours in the whole experience, at a very relaxed and flexible pace. The ladies had an hour or so afterwards to look around ISP and shop, but it pretty much used up the day.

So when you email Keith, tell him (or actually Edna, his "princess") what you want and he can arrange it with you, I am sure. I think for healthy mobile people it would be great fun to go hiking with him! To book the whole van for your group rather than sharing can be a bit more expensive. We loved Keith and he did a great tour for us. Many thanks to BQ for tipping this board off to the great TECKK Outfitters!

Have a GREAT cruise!

Edited by MercedMike

We went on a tour with keith last June. It was AWESOME, and we didnt even see one bear, he said that was actually the first time that he hasnt seen one bear, we were out there for a long time. This was the best experience I have ever had on a cruise or any other vacation. It was a sight of the REAL Alaska. I highly recommend this tour, we didnt even see a bear and we all had a BLAST! I also used Keith to go whale watching right after our bear tour and that was by FAR the most amazing thing I have ever seen. His boat is gorgeous and the whales that we saw were bubble feeding, it was so nice and peaceful, we were the only boat out there. It was much better than our whale watching in Juneu, although that was fun, a few tail sightings just dont compare to the bubble feeding we saw. Obviously bubble feeding is rare to see and most wont have the same experience. I highly recommend anything having to do with Keith!

• 2 months later...

We are taking a land tour prior to our cruise. It includes the Tundra Wilderness Tour in Denali. I know there's no guarantee of seeing bears in Denali or with Keith of Teckk Tours. Just wondering if it would be "overkill" to do both on the same trip.

We're going whale watching in Juneau with Harv and Marv. We're not interested in zipline or fishing. So I'm just trying to plan what to do in ISP. All of the posts have been very helpful.

Any advice? Thanks.

Well, Keith is pretty flexible.......

So when you email Keith, tell him (or actually Edna, his "princess") what you want and he can arrange it with you, I am sure.

We took a whale watching tour with Teckk Outfitters and after the boat ride we got in Keith's van and he took us out to look for bears. He found 3 bears for us and seemed to know exactly where they would be. It was a wonderful day. We would not hesitate to book with him again.

We went with Keith last June. He knows the bears and has named them. We went a long time without seeing one. He asked when we had to be back, would have stayed out longer if needed. We saw 3 bears. followed one at 35mph for 1/2 to 3/4 mile. Bear would sit down, turn to see if we were still there and then run some more. Did this 3-4 times. We are going back again this year. Awesome

We are taking a land tour prior to our cruise. It includes the Tundra Wilderness Tour in Denali. I know there's no guarantee of seeing bears in Denali or with Keith of Teckk Tours. Just wondering if it would be "overkill" to do both on the same trip.

We're going whale watching in Juneau with Harv and Marv. We're not interested in zipline or fishing. So I'm just trying to plan what to do in ISP. All of the posts have been very helpful.

Any advice? Thanks.

These are different bears, based on diet.

There is no salmon in Denali Park. IF you want the chance of seeing bears and salmon, then go out of Hoonah.

There is a pretty fair chance of seeing bears in Denali Park, I always have. Only you can decide what you wish to occupy your time with???

Do we need to schedule Bear Watching with Keith of TECKK in advance or can we do it the day we get to ISP?

He usually books up early so I wouldn't wait. I am going with him in September and started emailing with Edna last year.

Do we need to schedule Bear Watching with Keith of TECKK in advance or can we do it the day we get to ISP?

You need to schedule it ahead. IF you want to take a chance and be fully accepting of NOT going, then you can wait and try and call him when you get there.

• 3 months later...

prncscruiser ...

I have to laugh. I was on a trip with Keith LAST WEEK. We did have a great time butdid not see one bear. Not one. And, interestingly enough, he said it was THE FIRST TIME he had taken someone on a tour and not seen a bear. I certainly don't want to bad mouth him, as we did have a good time and got to see a lot of "real Alaska" we'd never have seen otherwise. I don't regret going on the tour and it was worth the money. But, I just have to laugh about it being "the first time" he'd not seen a bear. Quite a character.

prncscruiser ...

I have to laugh. I was on a trip with Keith LAST WEEK. We did have a great time butdid not see one bear. Not one. And, interestingly enough, he said it was THE FIRST TIME he had taken someone on a tour and not seen a bear. I certainly don't want to bad mouth him, as we did have a good time and got to see a lot of "real Alaska" we'd never have seen otherwise. I don't regret going on the tour and it was worth the money. But, I just have to laugh about it being "the first time" he'd not seen a bear. Quite a character.

Not the first time of hearing a similar story. I guess that is why they label it a bear "search." And now with the internet age, lying certainly gets discovered quickly!

• 1 month later...

Another option is to head out with Kenny (our guide was his friend Phil) from Brown Bear Lodge. I went out with them a couple weeks ago and we saw 12-15 bears during the day. Phil told some great stories and was a lot of fun. We were with him all day from about 8:15am until at least 4pm. Phill was willing to drive us around as long as the ship was in port.

Get this information direct from the vendor.

Seems like the vendor would be inclined to encourage you to book. He's not helping you decide which part of the summer to visit, it's either book or don't book b/c the trip dates already set.

Guess its not like 'which month more likely to rain' or 'when are the salmon running' which you can look up and find some sort of proof one month is, for example, more likely to rain than another.

It is great to hear people enjoy the tour so much even if don't see bears; that's pretty amazing. I dunno if after 4 hrs of searching and spending a lot of money my crew wouldn't be a little disappointed. No fault to the vendor if bears don't show up but it might be good to have a guess for planning, especially if decide another excursion might be a better fit, to have some idea which months are more likely to see bears at ISP and maybe the percentage of tours that month that see no bears at all.

Texasmom - If you contact and hear back from Keith, please let us know what he says. Thanks.

Seems like the vendor would be inclined to encourage you to book. He's not helping you decide which part of the summer to visit, it's either book or don't book b/c the trip dates already set.

Guess its not like 'which month more likely to rain' or 'when are the salmon running' which you can look up and find some sort of proof one month is, for example, more likely to rain than another.

It is great to hear people enjoy the tour so much even if don't see bears; that's pretty amazing. I dunno if after 4 hrs of searching and spending a lot of money my crew wouldn't be a little disappointed. No fault to the vendor if bears don't show up but it might be good to have a guess for planning, especially if decide another excursion might be a better fit, to have some idea which months are more likely to see bears at ISP and maybe the percentage of tours that month that see no bears at all.

Texasmom - If you contact and hear back from Keith, please let us know what he says. Thanks.

I know Keith, he WILL be able to tell you the sighting stats of the time you are going. And I am certain, if it is a time of few sightings, he will disclose this.

It sounds like Keith is such an interesting story teller and experienced guide that even w/o bears, you can get your money's worth.

Next question, how do you know you'll get Keith? Two younger guys are shown on the website as bear guides. Maybe as the tour has gotten more popular over time, they have added tour guides.

http://www.teckkoutfittersicystrait.com/TECKKPage3.html

Another option is to head out with Kenny (our guide was his friend Phil) from Brown Bear Lodge. I went out with them a couple weeks ago and we saw 12-15 bears during the day. Phil told some great stories and was a lot of fun. We were with him all day from about 8:15am until at least 4pm. Phill was willing to drive us around as long as the ship was in port.

From what I can find to compare Trekk (Keith) and Brown Bear (Kenny/Phil), they both get good reviews.

Trekk - 130pp, officially 3 hr tour but will stay longer, especially if having trouble finding bears.

Brown bear - 150pp, goes from 1 hr after ship arrives until 1hr before last tender.

Brown bear might be a better value if desire the whole day out and about or Trekk preferrable if 3 hrs is enough and have other plans in port. Trekk might have smaller vans and be more personalized, I'm not sure how many they take out. Brown bear references 14 pax van. Brown bear also can incorporate fishing, seems a little pricy at 200pp + 20 for license. We might have considered it for salmon fishing but only trout offered when we are going.

Anyone by chance done BOTH of these tours and have a comparison to share? Or anything to share about either tour looking for bears in June? Thanks for any info.

Ugh, while I'm worrying about NOT seeing bears, just found out my DH is a little worried about SEEING bears, too much 'when animals attack' tv.

I've read Keith carries a gun just in case, can anyone report about Brown Bear excursions doing the same? I've already got an email into them and when I get a response, I'll ask the vendor......... but if anyone happens to know..... thanks.