Viking Rhine Getaway - Our photo intensive review on the Viking Ingvi, Summer 2014

cruisinskier

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Great to see you on the Regal. Looking forward to your review if you do one. I know lot of work w/no compensation except gratitude of fellow cruisers.

Merry Christmas,

Dave & Amy

Hi Dave & Amy,

Sorry for the delay in responding as we have had some family items keep us busy the past few months. It was great to see you on the Regal Princess and we hope to run into you again in the future!! Happy travels!

Jerry & Patti

Jerry,

Such a great review. I just finished reading through it for the second time and learned even more. We leave in June, Amsterdam to Basel, and your information has been extremely helpful. I'm sure I'll check through it all again closer to the date!:)

Thanks,

Lauri

Jerry,

Such a great review. I just finished reading through it for the second time and learned even more. We leave in June, Amsterdam to Basel, and your information has been extremely helpful. I'm sure I'll check through it all again closer to the date!:)

Thanks,

Lauri

Lauri, glad you enjoyed the review. Have a great cruise and safe travels!

Jerry

• 2 months later...

We are just back from our Rhine River Cruise. Your post with the pictures helped so much in planning. Would you be able to tell me how to post pictures. I use a Mackbook and I'm having trouble trying to post them. I wanted to post the Viking Daily for those wanting schedules.

We are just back from our Rhine River Cruise. Your post with the pictures helped so much in planning. Would you be able to tell me how to post pictures. I use a Mackbook and I'm having trouble trying to post them. I wanted to post the Viking Daily for those wanting schedules.

Hi Shipster, hope you had a great cruise! In order to post photos you need a site to "host" your pictures. I use Photobucket but there are numerous similar sites. You then copy and paste the code into CC to post your pics. I have a PC, not a Mac so I am making assumptions it is the same.

Glad you found the review useful! And CC is great as you are also now wanting to pay it forward! Safe travels!

Jerry

• 4 weeks later...
For anyone who took the optional tour to Colmar...do you need to book it ahead, or can you do so once you're on board? Any problems with it selling out? Thanks!

We signed up onboard as soon as sheet was available, however, online was not an option last year. Im not sure why VIKING now has sign ups prior to boarding but hope it's to provide additional guides if demand is there. That said, if you know you want to do a tour, signing up to insure your space is convenient.

At times, a tour previously unannounced might be offered as well.

I did the Colmar WWII tour and enjoyed it very much.

Edited by MURPHY27
Sp

• 2 months later...

Quite some time back, I started reading Jerry's fabulous account of his Viking Rhine Getaway. It was a great help in our decision of which line to book and whether we wanted to do this. So I want to give you a huge THANKS! I have lots of notes - most of which I took as I read it again.

We are preparing to leave for our Rhine Getaway in less than a week and I'm so excited! We will be spending 2 days in Amsterdam on our own, then board the Viking Mani for our adventure. We're doing 2 days post cruise in Lucerne through Viking and hope to do the Mt Pilatus Golden Round Trip - again because of Jerry's review.

I thought I'd post this, both to say thanks and to give it a boost, because I think it's a MUST read for anyone considering doing it!

• 1 month later...
Quite some time back, I started reading Jerry's fabulous account of his Viking Rhine Getaway. It was a great help in our decision of which line to book and whether we wanted to do this. So I want to give you a huge THANKS! I have lots of notes - most of which I took as I read it again.

We are preparing to leave for our Rhine Getaway in less than a week and I'm so excited! We will be spending 2 days in Amsterdam on our own, then board the Viking Mani for our adventure. We're doing 2 days post cruise in Lucerne through Viking and hope to do the Mt Pilatus Golden Round Trip - again because of Jerry's review.

I thought I'd post this, both to say thanks and to give it a boost, because I think it's a MUST read for anyone considering doing it!

Kath, I hope you had a great trip! I have not been checking this board as often as I should. I hope you enjoyed the trip as much as we did!

Jerry

• 2 weeks later...
Kath, I hope you had a great trip! I have not been checking this board as often as I should. I hope you enjoyed the trip as much as we did!

Jerry

We had a fabulous trip and your review was so very helpful. I'm trying to pay it forward by doing a review of ours.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

• 6 months later...

Thank you so much for posting this very detailed review of your Viking cruise. I found this from the link you posted regarding Viking dining. We are taking this same itinerary in May 2018 and your info is so helpful in our planning. So excited.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
We had a fabulous trip and your review was so very helpful. I'm trying to pay it forward by doing a review of ours.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

Thanks crusinskier, what a wonderful complete review.

Hi CyberKat I found the

Link to this great review and will go look for yours now.

We are looking at the Christmas Market version of this cruise but not until 2028 or 2019.

Thanks again.

• 3 months later...

Thank you so much Cruiseskier for your wonderful review. Also thank you Cyber Kat for posting the link to Cruiseskier’s review in the 2018 Rhine roll call.

I just spent two days reading every single post on your review; thank goodness I’m retired, LOL. My friend and I decided the other day that we wanted to go on the Rhine Getaway. We have a friend who works for Viking and she told us about this cruise, so of course I had to check it out in Cruise Critic first. Thankfully I was guided to your review.

I’ve been on 43 ocean cruises, so it is about time to check out a river cruise. By the time I got to the 450th post I felt really excited about this cruise. We were able to book it yesterday morning. We got very lucky as options were very limited as the cruise is in 5 months. We will be in a Veranda Balcony room on the Viking Vidar sailing June 28th 2018 from Amsterdam to Basel. We had to go with this date so we could do the 2 days pre-cruise in Amsterdam and the post 2 days in Basel. The only drawback with the late booking is that we had to use the more expensive hotel Pulitzer in Amsterdam as the Movenpick was already booked.

I was really nervous about the ship as it is very small and not very many people. After reading your review I feel like I know what to expect both on board and on the shore. Now I’m heading over to the 2018 Rhine board and hopefully get acquainted with them. Thanks again, Kathy

Thank you so much Cruiseskier for your wonderful review. Also thank you Cyber Kat for posting the link to Cruiseskier’s review in the 2018 Rhine roll call.

I just spent two days reading every single post on your review; thank goodness I’m retired, LOL. My friend and I decided the other day that we wanted to go on the Rhine Getaway. We have a friend who works for Viking and she told us about this cruise, so of course I had to check it out in Cruise Critic first. Thankfully I was guided to your review.

I’ve been on 43 ocean cruises, so it is about time to check out a river cruise. By the time I got to the 450th post I felt really excited about this cruise. We were able to book it yesterday morning. We got very lucky as options were very limited as the cruise is in 5 months. We will be in a Veranda Balcony room on the Viking Vidar sailing June 28th 2018 from Amsterdam to Basel. We had to go with this date so we could do the 2 days pre-cruise in Amsterdam and the post 2 days in Basel. The only drawback with the late booking is that we had to use the more expensive hotel Pulitzer in Amsterdam as the Movenpick was already booked.

I was really nervous about the ship as it is very small and not very many people. After reading your review I feel like I know what to expect both on board and on the shore. Now I’m heading over to the 2018 Rhine board and hopefully get acquainted with them. Thanks again, Kathy

We too had never been on a river cruise before our Rhine Getaway two summers ago on the Viking Alruna, after having enjoyed many ocean cruises. We had a wonderful time and really enjoyed the smaller, more intimate river longship. I would hate to have to pick which type of cruising I prefer, but I can safely say I love both! :D

I'm sure you'll have a great time!

• 2 months later...

Hi Kathy, I have not been checking this board as often as I should however glad my review is still able to assist folks like you in making informed decisions. Apparently I should be asking Viking for a commission :). Have a great trip and I look forward to seeing your review!

Jerry

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/15/2014 at 7:14 PM, cruisinskier said:

After our canal cruise, we headed back to the apartment and joined up with the rest of our group. We had dinner in that night and then we ventured out to do a tour of the red-light district. We had purchased the tour and were led through the district by an actual worker. They give you a different perspective of this area and how things truly function. It was insightful and unique. And if you are curious, we were advised the average guy is inside those little rooms for 6 minutes....

Belle, a statue dedicated to all sex trade workers

DSC07045.jpg

DSC07049.jpg

Part of the Red Light district...they do not want you taking photos so I only have shots of the general area.. You will have to visit to see the rest....

DSC07052.jpg

DSC07054.jpg

After our red light district tour, we headed back to the apartment to pack up....in the morning we had a boat to catch!!!!

HELLO, I am very much enjoying your wonderfully narrative on your trip. We are taking this cruise in July and we're started doing some research. If you are still monitoring this posting, can you tell me how you came to get the "red light district tour" tickets?

11 minutes ago, cruiseloverohio said:

HELLO, I am very much enjoying your wonderfully narrative on your trip. We are taking this cruise in July and we're started doing some research. If you are still monitoring this posting, can you tell me how you came to get the "red light district tour" tickets?

Amsterdam has just announced a ban on tours of the red light district, although I'm not sure when it is to take effect.