Solstice 2 night sampler Oct 20th

This was our first cruise with Celebrity and the hype we had heard and read about the Solstice had us expecting the wow factor.

Due to a gastro outbreak boarding was delayed (or was supposed to of been)so we got in around 2pm

We book concierge class so were told to go to MDR for lunch,it was nice but the waiters seemed a tad stressed and getting a drink was pretty difficult but the food was nice and we were happy.

The cabin was ready at 5pm and it was nice,very clean and tasteful decor,I did notice the carpet was damp outside the bathroom door but that wasn't a big issue it wasn't smelly or anything.

We were with friends also in concierge class and looked for the welcome champers and canapés but they were mia as were the bathrobes and tote bag and toiletries (thankfully I had packed ours)

The MDR was a mess by 7.30 people were told 90minute wait n were sent away with buzzers so that wasn't a great first night.

People mobbed the bars all trying to make up for lost time I think ,staff were few and far between and guests were getting antsy .

The feel of the ship was crowed due to the bad weather everyone was inside.

Breakfast in the oceanview was bedlam staff were serving due to the previous outbreak but for example I lined up for an omelette and when I got it I asked for bacon and the server told me to join the next line even though it was right next to him hence by the time I did that the omelette was cold ,once again scare staff and they were under pressure.

We walked around and looked at different parts of the ship ,it indeed is lovely but I feel samplers probably are not in the best interest for celebrity because so many people were unhappy with the lack of service and the rushed feel.

I felt the muster video was pretty silly because it seemed to drag on and the message was lost in the poor acting

Safety drills should be sharp and to the point because people quickly list attention and began to talk so nothing could be heard.

Saturday night the MDR was better and we had a nice meal.

The extras for concierge are still mia and I feel people have a right to be annoyed for paying for the extras and not receiving them.

We are booked and paid already on Solstice for a January cruise and I am truly hoping this experience was just a one off.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were with friends also in concierge class and looked for the welcome champers and canapés but they were mia as were the bathrobes and tote bag and toiletries (thankfully I had packed ours)

Everyone should get welcome champagne as they board the ship. CC gets a bottle for the cruise as well, but that's often delivered the first night e.g. at dinner they don't always have time to deliver it earlier.

Canapes you won't get day 1, it's an optional thing subsequently, on request, but with only one day following they may well have not bothered.

No toiletries at all - eek!

Tote bag again comes later in the cruise, so may be the attendant, or may be ship policy.

Last time Solstice ran a sampler in Sydney a few years ago, it was a ship decision to cut back distribution of the extras for CC. Could be the same thing this time.

We walked around and looked at different parts of the ship ,it indeed is lovely but I feel samplers probably are not in the best interest for celebrity because so many people were unhappy with the lack of service and the rushed feel.

That's why they cancelled them a few years back, and I was surprised to see it returned. Staff hated it, and bars were overloaded.

I felt the muster video was pretty silly because it seemed to drag on and the message was lost in the poor acting

Agreed.

Were the lounges overflowing again during drill? Each time I've sailed it's been standing room only and half the crowd can't see or even hear half the presentation due to being overcrowded. But I'm usually in the middle lounges, if you're in the theatre I presume that's not an issue.

Were the lounges overflowing again during drill? Each time I've sailed it's been standing room only and half the crowd can't see or even hear half the presentation due to being overcrowded. But I'm usually in the middle lounges, if you're in the theatre I presume that's not an issue.

Makes one wonder what would happen in an emergency.

Makes one wonder what would happen in an emergency.

We were in the Art area

Couldn't hear anything over everyone talking and the crew couldn't get them to be quiet

Some people were missing and when the cabin numbers were called multiple people said here so it was a joke

A few drunken bogans spoilt it for the decent people, again. :evilsmile:

Again, the crew would not have been impressed by the poor behaviour. Probably used to that type of behaviour by 'Strayans' by now. Disgraceful in my view.

Hi, also going on the solstice in January to nz. Hope it picks up from what you mentioned. We are a bit concerned now. Sounds like it was bedlam.

Should be OK to NZ, we did Solstice in 2012, Syd-NZ-Syd. Never saw a drunk on board. Us more mature folk made up most of passenger complement. In January though you will get a load of Tin Lids. (Kids, being school holidays and all.):(

Don't be too concerned and above all, enjoy !!:halo:

Again, the crew would not have been impressed by the poor behaviour. Probably used to that type of behaviour by 'Strayans' by now. Disgraceful in my view.

That seems to sum it up Uncle Les drunks getting drunker. It really did seem that many people with the intent of getting two days value out of their packages even if they were only at sea for a day and a half, then when boarding was delayed due to the previous cruise gastro outbreak they felt they needed to drink even more, and quicker.

That seems to sum it up Uncle Les drunks getting drunker. It really did seem that many people with the intent of getting two days value out of their packages even if they were only at sea for a day and a half, then when boarding was delayed due to the previous cruise gastro outbreak they felt they needed to drink even more, and quicker.

Human nature, Mr Gut, getting one's monies worth.:halo: I bet a few had headaches Sunday morning as they disembarked, probably had to go to the early opener for a 'Bloody Mary' or a Schooner of VB on toast.:confused:

Human nature, Mr Gut, getting one's monies worth.:halo: I bet a few had headaches Sunday morning as they disembarked, probably had to go to the early opener for a 'Bloody Mary' or a Schooner of VB on toast.:confused:

Sunday morning more than a few looked a bit seedy, I’d have sat them down to a plate of runny eggs.

Everyone should get welcome champagne as they board the ship. CC gets a bottle for the cruise as well, but that's often delivered the first night e.g. at dinner they don't always have time to deliver it earlier.

Canapes you won't get day 1, it's an optional thing subsequently, on request, but with only one day following they may well have not bothered.

No toiletries at all - eek!

Tote bag again comes later in the cruise, so may be the attendant, or may be ship policy.

Last time Solstice ran a sampler in Sydney a few years ago, it was a ship decision to cut back distribution of the extras for CC. Could be the same thing this time.

That's why they cancelled them a few years back, and I was surprised to see it returned. Staff hated it, and bars were overloaded.

Agreed.

They were handing out champagne on boarding.

We got shampoo, conditioner, body lotion and cake soap.

Our drill was in the theatre and it certainly wasn’t percent full

But no tote for us either.

Edited by GUT2407

They were handing out champagne on boarding.

We got shampoo, conditioner, body lotion and cake soap.

Our drill was in the theatre and it certainly wasn’t percent full

But no tote for us either.

If they weren't going to do concierge correctly then they shouldn't of charged for concierge

It wasn't just a dollar or two difference

If they weren't going to do concierge correctly then they shouldn't of charged for concierge

It wasn't just a dollar or two difference

No arguments from me on that.

Fortunately only time we did concierge class it cost less than a balcony on the same cruise. I honestly wouldn’t pay anything extra for it. But agree it’s wrong to sell it and not provide the 3xtras that should come with it.

No arguments from me on that.

Fortunately only time we did concierge class it cost less than a balcony on the same cruise. I honestly wouldn’t pay anything extra for it. But agree it’s wrong to sell it and not provide the 3xtras that should come with it.

Well it's done and dusted and I'll give credit where credit is due Celebrity have acknowledged the issues I raised with them and offered compensation

So that's a positive to finish on

Well it's done and dusted and I'll give credit where credit is due Celebrity have acknowledged the issues I raised with them and offered compensation

So that's a positive to finish on

that’s great to hear, I’m not sure I’d put any value on concierge on such a short cruise, but then I was under impressed with it on a week long cruise.

that’s great to hear, I’m not sure I’d put any value on concierge on such a short cruise, but then I was under impressed with it on a week long cruise.

Live and learn Mr Gut live n learn

Edited by Justthetwofus

Yes I was surprised that they offered drink packages for such a short cruise which then ensured it turned into a booze cruise on steroids!

After all the hype about the Solstice being such a beautiful ship I was generally disappointed with the decor especially in the atrium area - not much glamour to be seen!

I left thinking I could have spent the $1000 for my all-up costs more wisely [emoji15]!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was also on this cruise in concierge.

This was my 4th celebrity cruise and I have another two booked.

We also didn't receive any of the concierge extras (except for the lunch), however I chased them down.

I also didn't receive any coupons for being celebrity select.

Although I wouldn't normally pay extra for concierge (I've been able to upgrade due to price drops before) my friend wanted to pay the extra and thought it would be nice way to start the cruise.

Despite the fact I place little value on the amenities, the fact is celebrity should have supplied them as we did pay extra for them.

Agree the bars and restaurants were unbelievably busy and that certainly put a dampener in the cruise.

I read somewhere that they had a staff changeover and many staff were brand new that day, so that would have compounded the issue.

Oh and top of not getting our concierge perks we didn't even have toilet paper or tissues when we got to our cabin....

I'm still looking forward to my next cruise on her in March, my friend is not convinced and thinks RCCL is much better, however we did book celebrity Edge Greek island cruise onboard so hopefully she'll get the real celebrity experience then :)

Yes I was surprised that they offered drink packages for such a short cruise which then ensured it turned into a booze cruise on steroids!

After all the hype about the Solstice being such a beautiful ship I was generally disappointed with the decor especially in the atrium area - not much glamour to be seen!

I left thinking I could have spent the $1000 for my all-up costs more wisely [emoji15]!

Agrees I had heard so much about the wow factor I was disappointed

The room was lovely but I don't think it was any nicer than EOS

The dinning room wasn't as grand either but it still is a lovely ship

I think the 2 day was a mistake and reading in other places the gastro outbreak is pretty bad on her at the moment

I was also on this cruise in concierge.

This was my 4th celebrity cruise and I have another two booked.

We also didn't receive any of the concierge extras (except for the lunch), however I chased them down.

I also didn't receive any coupons for being celebrity select.

Although I wouldn't normally pay extra for concierge (I've been able to upgrade due to price drops before) my friend wanted to pay the extra and thought it would be nice way to start the cruise.

Despite the fact I place little value on the amenities, the fact is celebrity should have supplied them as we did pay extra for them.

Agree the bars and restaurants were unbelievably busy and that certainly put a dampener in the cruise.

I read somewhere that they had a staff changeover and many staff were brand new that day, so that would have compounded the issue.

Oh and top of not getting our concierge perks we didn't even have toilet paper or tissues when we got to our cabin....

I'm still looking forward to my next cruise on her in March, my friend is not convinced and thinks RCCL is much better, however we did book celebrity Edge Greek island cruise onboard so hopefully she'll get the real celebrity experience then :)

We have another two booked and I'm hoping the January one will prove a much better experience

We were concierge too and didn't have anything including tissues or even soap

The carpet was pretty damp outside the bathroom so not sure what happened previous to us getting there but at least we aren't sick like some people are who got off and now people onboard are saying they sick

I think the most appealing/stand out area is the pool deck, with the different lounges and seating, and the fountains and so on. It's also very attractively lit at night, if you ventured to the top then.

That said, I agree generally and it's not a ship I see as dramatically more attractive. I'd rate the modern MSC ships higher, foyers especially, and equally RCL's Quantum class for the interior promenade and 270.

Hi all,

Currently on Solstice and I agree with all said above. We have had a few cruises and have never seen so many people drinking during the day. We do enjoy a drink but not at early in the morning. We were told it would,be better than Royal Caribbean or Princess but this is not the case. Don't think we will cruise Celebrity again, except if it is the actual cruise and not the ship. Will write on our return. Definitely a booze cruise unfortunately. Can't post on Mr Guts thread as well but totally agree.

Hi all,

Currently on Solstice and I agree with all said above. We have had a few cruises and have never seen so many people drinking during the day. We do enjoy a drink but not at early in the morning. We were told it would,be better than Royal Caribbean or Princess but this is not the case. Don't think we will cruise Celebrity again, except if it is the actual cruise and not the ship. Will write on our return. Definitely a booze cruise unfortunately. Can't post on Mr Guts thread as well but totally agree.

After the weekend fin, where are you cruising to now then on Solstice? I trust they restocked the ship with adult beverages.:( After they drained it dry on the weekend.

Hi all,

Are people ill on this cruise I'm hearing a lot are?