Epic Med Itinerary - Embarking and Disembarking in both Rome and Barcelona

:confused:Is there anyone yet back from this itinerary that can give me a little information on how it works? Apparently the Epic will be making a continuous loop this season that can begin and end in either Rome or Barcelona. We're sailing Rome-Rome Sept. 2 - 9. I'm wondering how disembarkation works when they are not clearing the entire ship. Will it be quicker and therefore allow booking of an earlier flight time? Or will the disembarking passengers be hindered by the rest of the ship getting off for a port stop? Any experience with how this works would be really appreciated.

P.S. A couple of years ago we took a similar sailing of the S.Caribbean that embarked in both San Juan and Bridgetown, Barbados. We knew it was happening, but there were so few passengers coming and/or going from Barbados that it wasn't even a blip on the radar screen.

Edited by ronandannette

Just got off the May 10 sailing in Barcelona and it was a piece of cake. Now I did do self embarkation at 6:45am and I was the only person in the elevator. If you are doing an earlier flight I would do self embarkation as security and passport control at the Barcelona airport did take some time. We had a 10:45am flight and had about an hour to spare. Hope this helps.

On Liberty of the Seas two years ago they had embarkations three days out of seven. Sundays, Mondays and Fridays

The same on the 7 days cruise with the Epic in the summer 2013, they had embarkations in Barcelona, Rome and Marseille.

:confused:Is there anyone yet back from this itinerary that can give me a little information on how it works? Apparently the Epic will be making a continuous loop this season that can begin and end in either Rome or Barcelona. We're sailing Rome-Rome Sept. 2 - 9. I'm wondering how disembarkation works when they are not clearing the entire ship. Will it be quicker and therefore allow booking of an earlier flight time? Or will the disembarking passengers be hindered by the rest of the ship getting off for a port stop? Any experience with how this works would be really appreciated.

P.S. A couple of years ago we took a similar sailing of the S.Caribbean that embarked in both San Juan and Bridgetown, Barbados. We knew it was happening, but there were so few passengers coming and/or going from Barbados that it wasn't even a blip on the radar screen.

Just wanted to make certain that you know that the Rome Fiumicino (FCO) airport is around 66 km from Civitavecchia (the port city for Rome is actually situated 80 km/50 miles north of Rome, since Rome is situated inland and not on the coast), and not close by....? Please also be aware that Italian public transportation is not always on time... :)

Edited by TrumpyNor

Just wanted to make certain that you know that the Rome Fiumicino (FCO) airport is around 66 km from Civitavecchia (the port city for Rome is actually situated 80 km/50 miles north of Rome, since Rome is situated inland and not on the coast), and not close by....? Please also be aware that Italian public transportation is not always on time... :)

Yes, thank you, I do understand that. We are looking at flights around noon and will be using a private car hire (we're not "public transportation" people at home, let alone in a foreign country :p).

Are you able to answer my actual question about how the disembarkation works? Will luggage be collected the night prior? Is there a customs line to get through in the terminal or just off and out? Any information about how the process will work would be helpful. We've never experienced a disembarkation without luggage colours, exit times, waiting areas, etc.

Are you able to answer my actual question about how the disembarkation works? Will luggage be collected the night prior? Is there a customs line to get through in the terminal or just off and out? Any information about how the process will work would be helpful. We've never experienced a disembarkation without luggage colours, exit times, waiting areas, etc.

I have done the exact same itinerary on the Epic twice in the past, but both times with embarkation and disembarkation in Barcelona - so I can't tell you anything regarding disembarkation in Civitavecchia by personal experience. But I remember seeing suitcases in the hallways on board the night before arrival in Civitavecchia, so I would assume it is the same as in any other embarkation/disembarkation port. And the lines to get off the ship will be much shorter than on a usual disembarkation early in the morning, since the majority of the passengers are staying on board until arriving in Barcelona.

PS: A very good idea to arrange private transportation to the airport.

Edited by TrumpyNor

I got off the Epic on May 13 in civi. Using NCL transfers I was at the airport more than 4 hours in advance of my 12:50 flight. The disembark was a breeze since most got on in Barcelona. One thing I will warn you about is that you may feel like you are on someone else's cruise. Since the cruise officially begins and ends in Barcelona, the people who board in Barcelona get a 2 day jump on you for booking shows that have to be booked on board. Also you are not able to book or change anything for the sea day and naples since those days are technically on the next cruise. You can do all of that the afternoon the ship docks in Barcelona. Maybe just me but it didn't feel like I was on my cruise but rather tagging along on someone else's.

I got off the Epic on May 13 in civi. Using NCL transfers I was at the airport more than 4 hours in advance of my 12:50 flight. The disembark was a breeze since most got on in Barcelona. One thing I will warn you about is that you may feel like you are on someone else's cruise. Since the cruise officially begins and ends in Barcelona, the people who board in Barcelona get a 2 day jump on you for booking shows that have to be booked on board. Also you are not able to book or change anything for the sea day and naples since those days are technically on the next cruise. You can do all of that the afternoon the ship docks in Barcelona. Maybe just me but it didn't feel like I was on my cruise but rather tagging along on someone else's.

Good information; thank you. It actually sounds very weird - did you end up missing out on anything due to the booking issues? Couldn't you book in advance on-line like for any other cruise? They are also selling this itinerary in 3 and 4 day segments (Rome/Barcelona and Barcelona/Rome). The logistics must be a nightmare. We really wanted the extra time to see Rome beforehand but I'm kind of regretting booking this now and to switch it to the Barcelona RT itinerary would cost me my UDP and UBP. :( We're still a month away from final payment - we may cancel altogether and re-group.

Good information; thank you. It actually sounds very weird - did you end up missing out on anything due to the booking issues? Couldn't you book in advance on-line like for any other cruise? They are also selling this itinerary in 3 and 4 day segments (Rome/Barcelona and Barcelona/Rome). The logistics must be a nightmare. We really wanted the extra time to see Rome beforehand but I'm kind of regretting booking this now and to switch it to the Barcelona RT itinerary would cost me my UDP and UBP. :( We're still a month away from final payment - we may cancel altogether and re-group.

You shouldn't let one persons negative view on this get to you, I am certain you will have a great time cruising and a great time exploring Rome before the cruise. :)

On our last Epic cruise in the Med, many on our roll call came on board in Rome (they were part of both roll calls - one for emb. Barcelona and one for emb. Rome), and they never complained about the cruise at all. In fact I believe they all had a great time (at least that is what they said), both exploring Rome AND the cruise itself.

Edited by TrumpyNor

You shouldn't let one persons negative view on this get to you, I am certain you will have a great time cruising and a great time exploring Rome before the cruise. :)

On our last Epic cruise in the Med, many on our roll call came on board in Rome (they were part of both roll calls - one for emb. Barcelona and one for emb. Rome), and they never complained about the cruise at all. In fact I believe they all had a great time (at least that is what they said), both exploring Rome AND the cruise itself.

I understand what you're saying but the previous poster's comments are cause for concern for us. We are very much looking forward to the port stops, but we cruise for the shipboard experience as well. If we aren't able to see shows or get seating for speciality dining (particularly given that we've got UDP) that will GREATLY detract from our enjoyment. We aren't really the types to just roll with the punches and be easily able to set all expectations aside. We'd actually rather not go than have to compromise on the product we want.

I wasn't trying to be negative and if that is the way it came across I apologize. It was just a bit weird for me is all. There were shows that were sold out before I boarded and I was trying to change a tour in naples but I couldn't get the shore excursion ticket until we docked in Barcelona. I still had a blast but it still felt weird that I had to keep remembering that day 1 of my cruise was, to the ship staff, day 3 of the cruise. I had never experienced that before so I had trouble wrapping my head around it. I just wanted to make sure you realized that things may be a bit different than other cruises you have had. Did I feel like I was on someone else's cruise? Yes I did but I tried to make the best of it. Rather than going to the shows that were sold out I went to Howl at the Moon several times and had a blast. My apologies if I came across badly. Really just wanted to inform, not worry.

DO NOT MISS HOWL AT THE MOON!! Yes, I was shouting. You will have the time of your life. That one is just show up and enjoy. No advance reservations needed. Also, they have screens posted around the ship that show for each half hour how busy each of the restaurants are. You will be able to get into the specialty restaurants. Unless you are determined to eat at a specific time you will find availability. Again, my apologies. I think I reached the limits of my medication!!

I wasn't trying to be negative and if that is the way it came across I apologize. It was just a bit weird for me is all. There were shows that were sold out before I boarded and I was trying to change a tour in naples but I couldn't get the shore excursion ticket until we docked in Barcelona. I still had a blast but it still felt weird that I had to keep remembering that day 1 of my cruise was, to the ship staff, day 3 of the cruise. I had never experienced that before so I had trouble wrapping my head around it. I just wanted to make sure you realized that things may be a bit different than other cruises you have had. Did I feel like I was on someone else's cruise? Yes I did but I tried to make the best of it. Rather than going to the shows that were sold out I went to Howl at the Moon several times and had a blast. My apologies if I came across badly. Really just wanted to inform, not worry.

:) No, I really appreciate what you said because I absolutely would not have been aware of those things otherwise. Honestly, this may sound ridiculous to some, but if we can't get into shows and speciality dining like we've imagined ever since we chose the Epic, we may prefer not to go. I simply would NOT be able to just shrug and go to the piano bar every night. This trip will be a MAJOR (and I mean major) expenditure for us about equal to any 3 other vacations we've ever taken combined. Air fare alone is hovering around $1,600 CAD/pp. It's too much money to spend and not be really happy with how things turn out, especially considering that Europe is likely to be a one-and done thing for us - NWIM?

Edited by ronandannette

I am doing the same cruise as you but 1 week earlier. From my research reading this board every day, this is a port intensive cruise and the shows and restaurants are secondary in importance. What will be memorable I think are the ports. Just my 2 cents.

I understand how many people would feel that way. We don't; a cruise for us needs to be the whole package. Have a great trip! :)

Edited by ronandannette

I did the cruise (boarding and disembarking in Rome) the first summer they did the multi-city cruise.

There are fewer people getting on and off in Rome when I did it. That makes the check-in process much easier. Shorter lines. Cabins ready sooner etc. I don't think you miss out on any of the entertainment You jut don't see it in the same order as Barcelona passangers. You can pre-book the major shows ahead of the cruise online any way.

I like Rome, being able to spend an extra couple of days in Rome before the cruise was wonderful. The port near Rome is quite a distance from the city and because of that I would prefer Rome as the port where I start and end the cruise.

In Barcelona there is a shuttle bus that costs a couple of Euro that takes you from the ship to the centre of town. When you come back there will be a large queue of people checking in on the side there is a queue for people who are already checked in form other ports and you get back on. Not certain what day Barcelona is now when I did it is was Sunday, and many of he shops were closed.

These are very port intensive cruises, with very few sea days. That gives it a different feeling all together. The on-board experience is mostly an evening affair. Other than the one or two sea days there are very view passengers on the ship during the day. Some of the ports, such as Naples are downtown and you can come and go as you see fit. Other ports are in industrial areas and there are shuttle buses to get you unto town. If they are still doing Canes, that is a ender.

I also caught the Air Canada flight back the same day the ship arrived. I was a little worried because it was before noon however I had no problems and spend a good hour and a bit sitting in the lounge at the airport. Same process as any other cruise, luggage outside the door the night before arrival or you can also walk off as soon as the ship docks, I did the walk off as I was worried about the flight.

I did another cruise a year latter flew back connecting somewhere with a very early departure. I stayed overnight at the Hilton connected to the airport. Short walk to the terminal. The hotel also has a free shuttle into downtown Rome for guests.

Edited by em-sk

We just finished this cruise (May 6-13th) from Rome roundtrip. It did feel also to us like someone elses cruise because we didn't get that big welcome aboard feeling. We got over it fast as I found out roughly 3,000 people board

from Barcelona compared to 1,000 from Rome. Its a business decision and it was fine with us. We did not miss any shows or dinner opportunities at the pay restraunts. I actually did my research and booked a lot of things before leaving for the cruise. Circue dinner show is worth the money :).

It is definitely a port intensive cruise, a lot of our excursions we chose were 9-10 hrs, but being able to see what we did, money well spent! We made time to enjoy the ship as best as possible, but meeting at 7am for excursions was tiring.

Regarding embarkation, it was a breeze, no different than any other cruise we have taken. I make reservations with a shuttle/van from the Port website. It costs $140 Euros for a van to take the 4 of us and all our bags to the airport. They were outside of the ship waiting for us. The ride to the airport takes 45+ minutes.

Got off the ship yesterday. So easy! Carried our own luggage, used a private service and easily made an 11:20 flight to US. Our driver picked us up at 8am. Do yourself a favor and don't cut it too close. No need add stress to the end of a wonderful vacation.

Yes, thank you, I do understand that. We are looking at flights around noon and will be using a private car hire (we're not "public transportation" people at home, let alone in a foreign country :p).

We did a cruise out of Rome last year on the Epic and used Rome Limo for transport, both from air port into city and to cruise port. Excellent service and reasonable. They even made a last minute adjustment in departure time to port as we had to check out earlier then expected from hotel. I highly recommend them.

Oh, don't cancel your cruise.....we did this one last year and it was amazing. We boarded in Barcelona. As someone already said the entire experience on the Epic is different as the ship is an anomaly in the cruising world. GO for the ports and experience. We really did not do all we wanted on the ship and if I had not pre-booked the shows we probably would have taken a pass as we were so excited and tired each night from our excursions out. We used all private tours and loved them.

Think of getting on board with just a few people a treat as your cabin will be ready and most of the passengers will be on shore. You can freely explore.

This cruise with 6 out of 7 ports and passengers speaking many languages was a trip where I did not spend as much time talking with others. It was the nature of the trip and had nothing to do with where we boarded.

I think you are luckier as your sea day is in the middle of the week and you are really going to need it to regroup. This trip made my head spin with all we saw and learned.

I've also been looking closely at this cruise, and would want to embark in Rome, as well. Having a few days pre-cruise to tour Rome is very appealing.

I have a question for those of you who have done this. (I hope the OP doesn't mind.) All of the NCL shore excursions for Barcelona say that they are only available for those guests on the round-trip Barcelona cruise. Who did you book excursions through for Barcelona? :confused:

I once did some pricings on the Epic Med sailings and the Rome embarkation seemed more expensive over the Barcelona ones on the same sailing. With the European low cost airlines or even high speed trains it might be a consideration.

Just an thought. :)

We used Barcelona Day Tours.

For Italy ports we used Romecabs

Both were extremely professional and just made our trip perfect. The private tours add so much value to this cruise.

I've also been looking closely at this cruise, and would want to embark in Rome, as well. Having a few days pre-cruise to tour Rome is very appealing.

I have a question for those of you who have done this. (I hope the OP doesn't mind.) All of the NCL shore excursions for Barcelona say that they are only available for those guests on the round-trip Barcelona cruise. Who did you book excursions through for Barcelona? :confused: