Is a drink plan worth it?

islandgals

Can you do:

2 Bailey's/coffee or 2 Bloody Mary's or 2 Screwdrivers for breakfast

4-5 drinks during the day

2 drinks pre-dinner ( Martini's/specialty drinks)

1 drink with dinner

2 -3 walking around at night

That's minimum 10 a day over a 12 hour period, less than 1 an hour.

And I haven't mentioned water/energy drinks/milkshakes and whatever else non-alcoholic is included in Cheers.

We're of the mindset that it's worth it - sometimes.

Our next cruise is coming up in January. It's right in the green zone for "worth it/not worth it" to us - two people, four days. That came out to $459.54. We paid for it via discounted gift cards, knocking an additional 10% off - $413.59/4 = $103 and change a day for the both of us - $51.50 (Van Halen 4 life).

Taking this into consideration, we talked about how many alcoholic drinks we'd be likely to go for. Wife wants specialty coffees, boat drinks, and to try things she normally wouldn't. For me, it usually takes a six-pack of beer before I start to feel a little warm. However, I'm a sucker for gin and scotch.

We also thought over the fact that, well, we're not going to drink 100% nothing but alcohol the entire trip. Even if we milk out those drinks over the entire day, maintaining that elusive pleasant buzzed feeling, there's going to be powerade and rockstar mixed in there just to help stay hydrated and fight off the next day's hangover that would leave things less enjoyable.

We considered the joy of not freaking worrying about it - that's the soft-cost freedom that we were really after on this one. That money is spent, months ago, and it's no longer an issue at all. By the time we're actually on board, the initial pain of expenditure has been assuaged long, long ago. Now, we're just going to walk on board and consume, quite literally, anything we want without fearing the bill at the end.

Four days, it feels right. If we went up to a longer cruise, I don't think we'd do it. We drink, but not that often, and stretching it out to a week of boozing just doesn't feel good anymore in our late 40's. If we had a seven day cruise I'm sure we would let our hair down a couple night, and do our damage on a limited base instead. There's port calls, maybe a bottle for the cabin.

TL;DR verion: Depending on Length of Cruise, maybe. Your mileage may vary.

We are definitely getting it for our 7 day next year. We didn't think it would be worth it on our last 7 day cruise, thinking we wouldn't drink that much, but those few extra cocktails, specialty coffees, sodas, etc that you end up getting because the "I'm on vacation, why not?" mindset hits you, you end up spending over $700. So, now actually knowing what kind of bar tab we can run up, I feel that Cheers! will be worth it for us.

To me it was worth it. I had $200 in OBC so I used that to pay for the majority of it. Also since I cruise solo I just had to pay for one person so that helped as well. And since I sailed from Galveston I only had to pay for 6 days instead of 7.

If you are not a big drinker I wouldn't get the package. But if you can drink 6 or more drinks a day then it will be worth it.

I would buy it every trip if I didn't have to buy it for my wife too, she is not much of a drinker and probably has one or two drinks a day...maybe. This makes the cost too much to make it worthwhile. Carnival would sell a lot more of these if they would sell them to only the passengers that can use them. As for the problem with sharing, you are only allowed 15 per day no matter who drinks them, so what's the difference if I drink 10 & my wife drinks 2, still under our limit.

The only reason I'd buy it is for the peace of mind of not worrying about how much that next drink is going to raise my charges. We just did a 4 day cruise and I bought 2 drinks. If I'd bought the package I'd have had 2 dozen.

But I can't see myself paying the $800 for a 7 night cruise for drinks.

Short cruise, maybe. Long cruise, nope.

The only reason I'd buy it is for the peace of mind of not worrying about how much that next drink is going to raise my charges. We just did a 4 day cruise and I bought 2 drinks. If I'd bought the package I'd have had 2 dozen.

But I can't see myself paying the $800 for a 7 night cruise for drinks.

Short cruise, maybe. Long cruise, nope.

Think of all the potential weight gain you saved by doing this ;). All these people with their many drinks and shakes are consuming more than enough calories before even setting foot into the buffet or MDR ;p

I've done one cruise with and one without. The necessity of it is debatable for sure, however something about the mindset that I could drink as much as I wanted without running up a huge bill made the experience very pleasurable for me. We got it for our cruise next month and I am very excited for it.

We're getting it for our Jan. sailing. Cocktails aside, I drink a lot of water. Wasn't fond of the MDR or Lido coffee. So in addition to alcohol, the added water, sodas, & special coffees will be worth it to me. (Yes, I drank tap water last time too.)

Curious as to how much 1 bottle of Mikes Hard Lemonaid costs?? I saw that I could order a 4 pack for $24 which would be $8 per bottle. Rather pricey but is that the same cost if I were to buy a bottle at one of the bars?