Christmas Eve on a HAL ship: Some Advice, Please

rkacruiser

My traveling companion and I are looking forward to our Christmas/New Year's Cruise on the Prinsendam.

From what I have been able to learn, there are special events and programs on Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve. Our dining arrangements are for 2nd Seating. I am wondering if dining earlier on those evenings might not be a good idea. We would not want to miss special programs and events simply because of our dining time.

I would like some advice about our concern. Particularly, if you have sailed on a HAL ship on Christmas Eve and/or New Year's Eve, what did you experience? When do the special events/programs begin on those evenings?

Thanks for your insights!

Hope you managed to get some related info from this thread, OP. Sorry I can't help, I've never done a Christmas cruise but I have read quite a few blogs from those who have, and I think most events take the dining times into consideration.

Not to get too far off topic, but does anyone know if there are any Christmas activities the week before Christmas? I board tomorrow and am thinking of taking a Christmas sweater.

By all means,, take the sweater! I start wearing my Christmas t-shirts around the second week of December!;)

Not to get too far off topic, but does anyone know if there are any Christmas activities the week before Christmas? I board tomorrow and am thinking of taking a Christmas sweater.

LOTS of decorations in the past, so the ships should be looking very festive by now.

One of our Christmas cruises embarked late November. The decorations started to appear, magically, overnight the day after Thanksgiving and continued appearing for several days until completed.

So, take that sweater and get into the spirit!!

I was on the Prinsendam for Christmas two years ago and it was magical. The roast goose was superb, as was the chocolate yule log for dessert, which was paraded around the dining room. The "concert" by the Filipino and Indonesian crew members was beautifully done, followed by Midnight Mass, if you chose to attend. What was really fun was watching the "build" up of holiday decorations appearing little by little in the days before Christmas. (Also the egg nog station by the giant tree in the Atrium.

Santa arrived on Christmas morning, and since the Prinsendam doesn't have a large contingent of children aboard, it was not a long drawn out affair, but all the little ones got gifts and even some of the "big" children (e.g. seniors) sat on Santa's lap and had their pictures taken. Just good fun.

After a lovely New Year celebration, all the beautiful decorations went "poof," and it was back to the real world. I'll be doing the Holiday cruise on the Prinsendam in the future once again.

LOTS of decorations in the past, so the ships should be looking very festive by now.

One of our Christmas cruises embarked late November. The decorations started to appear, magically, overnight the day after Thanksgiving and continued appearing for several days until completed.

So, take that sweater and get into the spirit!!

The sweater just went in. With your comments, along with those of SilverToGold, I decided to also pack the origami paper. May "decorate" with some penguins wearing red bow ties. "SOMEONE";) flocked Veendam several times in Antarctica; I think it's time to do so again for Christmas.;););)

The sweater just went in. With your comments, along with those of SilverToGold, I decided to also pack the origami paper. May "decorate" with some penguins wearing red bow ties. "SOMEONE";) flocked Veendam several times in Antarctica; I think it's time to do so again for Christmas.;););)

Excellent! I like your attitude!!

The penguins sound ideal. You must be very talented!

Hope you have a fun cruise!

I haven't seen any recent comments from CC'ers on HAL ships now as to if they are still decorated as beautifully as they used to be. It varied some by ship and some had more trees and decorations than others but all looked very festive all dressed for Christmas.

I never experienced any special activities the week before Christmas but I can't imagine what one would have in mind for such? Christmas Eve and Christmas are the 'events' of the season until New Years. :)

Chanukah is ending.

Edited by sail7seas

I love your origami penguins! They are so cute. I still have mine out in the spare bedroom.

Thanks!

We just "flocked" a colleague's office at work: close to 100 of those little guys.

She leaves for Antarctica in early January. (I've been acting as "Antarctica Enabler".:D

TO All:

For the record, I have seen at least 2 Christmas trees and lots of garland so far on Veendam. And I have only made my way from main deck to the Lido. Am sure there will be more. Will probably wait to get home to post pix. I left my real computer at home. (It needs a vacation too.):p

Edited by TiogaCruiser

Thanks!

We just "flocked" a colleague's office at work: close to 100 of those little guys.

She leaves for Antarctica in early January. (I've been acting as "Antarctica Enabler".:D

TO All:

For the record, I have seen at least 2 Christmas trees and lots of garland so far on Veendam. And I have only made my way from main deck to the Lido. Am sure there will be more. Will probably wait to get home to post pix. I left my real computer at home. (It needs a vacation too.):p

Yay! I can't wait to see it!

I'm on the Nieuw Amsterdam right now. A large, potted Poinsettia appeared in my room on Dec 14, I haven't seen any other displays, but haven't been around the Atrium for a couple of days. I'll try to do some scouting around and let you know.

Edited by Happily@Sea

Spaghetti O's!! On a recent Eurodam trip I notice the use of many herbs. Also Kale and Quinoa were involved in the menu here and there. So it won't just be Spaghetti O's.

Once on the Ryndam out of Tampa we hit a fast moving cold front and most of the beautifully decorated Xmas trees were on the floor. Also many floral vases were broken along with bottles of booze. Luckily they weren't planning on the gingerbread village until mid cruise. Still was festive cruise tho.

On the N Amsterdam, they have decorated the area just before the mdr, a large, very nice display. So much of the of the decorations are so subtle, they just don't catch your eye that quickly. Lido has also been decorated but everything is so inconspicuous it doesn't slap you in the face. My type of decorating.

The garlands in the Atrium go up all the way to the top and again the word is low-key.