Balcony or Interior w/ 3 year old

jenson47

Hello we are thinking of taking a cruise on Royal Freedom. We have a 3 1/2 year old. She does ok with no naps, but really does a not better when we make her take a nap. Before kids we always cruised in interior rooms. Space does not really matter, she prefers to sleep between us at home. It is about 1,400 more for an balcony. What would you seasoned people who cruise with toddlers do?

Balcony, for sure. It will give you someplace "to be" if she needs to go to bed before you do.... But...that's a bunch of $$$....if you don't mind sitting quietly in a dark room while she's napping or asleep early...go for the interior.

I don't do well with needing lights in the daytime, so it's a balcony for me...kids or no kids!

I would also say that it depends on how proficient an escape artist your child is. We ended up with a partial oceanview. We didn't book our own cruise and were just given the choice of "balcony or no balcony". We chose "no balcony" because I was concerned about having my kids in regular proximity to the balcony. While doing research to prepare for the cruise, I regretted not choosing a balcony because I kept reading how hard the doors were to open and how great it was sitting out there during naps, etc.

However, if I had my daughter in a balcony room, I wouldn't have slept all week. She's a very proficient climber and the door in my MIL's room barely slowed her down. She was 4, so she may have been less proficient when she was at 3. But she's also the size of a small 3 year old. So I'm just going to say that it seems like most kids are safe in a balcony room but if your child is good at climbing and opening doors, then avoid the balcony.

Go with the balcony. I have a 3 year old. She's tall for age and smart. Very proficient at opening doors. There is no way she can open the balcony doors of the cruise ship if you close it right. Also agree with the first poster. You can sit on the balcony when they are sleeping.

Balcony !

My 3-year old loved it every time! With kids, we found we were in the cabin more than when we cruised without kids.

He most likely can't open the doors by himself (mine could not if door was fully shut). He enjoyed the view with us and we enjoyed the private breezy sunshine when he was napping.

Definitely worth it!

We've done it both ways. We will get a balcony if the price difference isn't too much. Over $1000 more is way too much more for us. If you are comfortable in an interior, you will be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We've cruised twice in a balcony (out of six cruises with dd) but it was only because the price dropped so much by sailing that we were able to upgrade for free. Obviously I would prefer a balcony but for $1400, I know we wouldn't do it. I'd book the inside and keep checking prices.

As for opening the doors, both of the balcony rooms we stayed in had a lock at the handle but also a lock high up that I don' think any kid could get to. Then they'd have to open the heavy door. We've had much more difficulty keeping her from opening the cabin door to the hallway, which she could do beginning at age 3. Finally we bought a gadget that goes on the lock so she can't open it. We use it at hotels too.