Cruise log

silver service

Just returned from a cunard cruise. Why no cruise log? Always on a p&o Cruise , you receive a comprehensive record of your voyage. I keep these as a record of cruises,taken. So am dissapointed not to receive Any momento of our cruise.
I received a "cruise log" of my first voyage, a WB crossing on QM2 in 2006.

The whole of the last full day and final morning on board were marked "Estimated at time of printing" ie conjecture which, in the case of this particular crossing, wasn't quite accurate (but a good guess!).

Since then I have not received one.

When I enquired on my third trip (QM2 Caribbean cruise) I was told that "many passengers simply binned them in the cabin waste bin, along with a lot of the other printed items we distribute to cabins, so to save paper and help the environment it was felt that it was best to stop printing them".

I must say that when flying back from a cruise/crossing to home, I am very selective about what I keep and pack as souvenirs because of weight. Sometimes I don't keep copies of the Daily Programme (but try to when I can).

I certainly don't miss the "official" record "cruise log" of the voyage; finding my own notes and photos to more accurately reflect my time on board.

Yes, I missed this on our late August QUEEN ELIZABETH cruise. And fear, as on HAL, it's been dropped. And please spare me the "we're doing it to save the environment" nonsense, too, thanks very much. I was delighted that Cunard did provide a nice folio of menus for the cruise. So not sure why a single sheet of paper for a cruise log is an issue here on any count.

Holland America is a lost cause now in terms of tradition and values. And jolly good luck to them as they morph into whatever they think are wanting to become. But Cunard... hands off. Every little cutback, every "innovation" (i.e. trendy bit of nonsense to make us seem "hip") and "improvement" needs to be firmly resisted by the folks paying for it in the end... us.

I have saved every scrap of paper from almost 50 voyages and cruises since 1974. And yes, they can be useful. I got Platinum level from Cunard World Club for crossings in QE2 back in 1977, 1979 etc by quoting the exact dates, voyage number, captain and cabin.

If I remember I ask the waiters not to compile the menus for the cruise, another huge waste of paper.
I think they give you one that was already printed for the dinner service rather than generate another copy to give you at the end of the cruise. So not as much a waste of paper as a loss of whatever guarantee of recycling is given to waste paper onboard.

In the last 3 years or so our waiters have stopped compiling menus unless requested it at the outset.

Quite!

I've got two sets somewhere (I think), I certainly wouldn't want more!

I personally think more could be done on the web,

With the Daily Programmes being shown along with as others have said, the menu's and cruise log.

Not everyones taste, but its there if the customers want it.

Ok Some will say, not all buy or have the internet package,

No problem Cunard could easily place all this in the free to all, section of their website which is free to all onboard.

The Mounds of paper that could be saved if they implemented this idea.

So, not all yet are computer literate however as time goes buy, that excuse will no longer stand. A Start point has to be somewhere.