Cave tubing hike questions

Terran

For anyone who has done the Cave Tubing in Belize, can you tell me about the "hike" up to the caves... How strenuous is it? How far is it? And how many creepy-crawlies do you encounter along the way. (yeah, serious question as one of my friends is super afraid of spiders, snakes, lizards, bugs, etc.) :eek:

Trying to now decide if this one of these tours is even for us. Appreciate the help!

I did this last week. The hike to the river is not “hard” but is long when it is very hot and humid. However, the biggest issue I had was my feet. I knew that I was supposed to wear water shoes (I did this excursion in 2005)…BUT they have laid gravel on the trail to make it less muddy and their gravel is very large fist sized rocks. My water shoes have fairly thin soles. I wish I had worn shoes with very thick soles and all would have been fine. I couldn't look around in the jungle because I was too busy making sure I found the most smooth footing, so I didn't see anything but rocks!

It's not a bad walk, especially in the caves part and there are stairs. Most of the hike is nothing but flat land in the jungle/rain forest. They stop a lot and tell you about different things along the way and let you "taste" items.

So, if she doesn't like bugs or things...tell her not to try the termites (which are a minty flavor) or hold the tarantula they pass around for everyone to hold and she should be fine.

IMG5567-M.jpg

IMG5570-M.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
This past spring my 70 year old mother and her sister did it. It's a 30 to 45 minute hike through the jungle and they saw nothing that scared them.

I am 64 and worried about the 'hike' also. I'm sure I could do it, but I need to walk slower than most. I want to go so bad, but I don't want to hold up everyone else in the group. Any suggestions?

Thank you

I did this last week. The hike to the river is not “hard” but is long when it is very hot and humid. However, the biggest issue I had was my feet. I knew that I was supposed to wear water shoes (I did this excursion in 2005)…BUT they have laid gravel on the trail to make it less muddy and their gravel is very large fist sized rocks. My water shoes have fairly thin soles. I wish I had worn shoes with very thick soles and all would have been fine. I couldn't look around in the jungle because I was too busy making sure I found the most smooth footing, so I didn't see anything but rocks!

This is absolutely true. The only problem I had was my feet. The rocks they put down as gravel really did a number on my feet. I had the recommended water shoes- too thin. Make sure your shoes are sturdy with thicker soles. Oh & hubby & I are 55/65, no problems with the length of the hike. Some bats were in the caves, a few mosquitos, but nothing major.

I am 64 and worried about the 'hike' also. I'm sure I could do it, but I need to walk slower than most. I want to go so bad, but I don't want to hold up everyone else in the group. Any suggestions?

Thank you

All the tours get in the river at the same spot I think. We used cavetubingrus- David & Henry ran the tour. My hubby has a disability, so they brought another guide along to help with his tube. If you really want to do this I suggest them. They only do very smll groups & we got very personal service. If they know of your worries they will be prepared & pace the hike accordingly. Good luck & have a great time.

• 3 weeks later...
walk was pretty flat, but long. When it is humid and carrying a tube, its not as plesant. We had young kids and an older adult...all did fine. The water felt great even if it was a bit chilly at first!

Cave-tubing dot com carry your tubes for you... and they will even carry a person piggyback... there was an 80 year old woman who did this tour with us once.. yep... when she started getting tired... they gave her a piggyback ride... very good to book with...

Cave-tubing dot com carry your tubes for you... and they will even carry a person piggyback... there was an 80 year old woman who did this tour with us once.. yep... when she started getting tired... they gave her a piggyback ride... very good to book with...

We went with CavetubingRUs just last week and had to carry our own tubes - it is strenuous, but I'm past 50 and managed just fine. We saw the guys who carried the tubes - four to an arm! We called them Sherpas of the Rain Forest. Make sure you choose a company that clips the tubes together and doesn't require you to put your feet under the armpits of the person in front of you - gross! And I agree about the water shoes - they are not a good choice on the rocks. I wore Teva sandals and did just fine. We saw no creepycrawlies at all - except for some fire ants and a few termites. Forging the rivers is kind of fun and cools you right off.

Archived