Room Service Fee & Yes the Mobility challenge individuals have to pay the fee!

It is so nice for this mobility challenge person to pay $7.95 for non edible food! The pasta was barely cooked & can you find the chicken in that cheese! The pasta & the carrots were barely cooked in the soup!

[ATTACH]428797[/ATTACH][ATTACH]428798[/ATTACH]

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Forums mobile app

Speak calmly to Guest Services, and/or ask to speak to the Food & Beverage manager or the Hotel Director, with your photos, and calmly request a refund of your fee.

I fail to see what one's mobility has to do with it.

Not certain of the mobility challenge the OP is dealing with,but perhaps room service meals are a more comfortable option than trying to navigate the buffet or MDR for this person. However,if there is a fee for room service throughout the ship, all passengers should be charged.

I agree with one of the other responders who suggested the OP speak with someone in guest services or the food and beverage department about the food served through room service.

The room service fee for that food in the photos should be credited and the quality of the delivered meals should be improved.

When you are living with mobility challenges you'll understand! It has been really difficult traveling solo with a cane in one hand & trying to get food & drink! Thank goodness for the Solarium bistro! I couldn't even get a table at WJ the other day or park cafe today! I was stuffed into a small corner table that was about nearly impossible to get in & out of at the MDR! Yeah it is hard! Try it sometime and maybe you'll will be a little more helpful, supportive or just maybe you'll see someone on a cane say hi we have an extra chair go get some food and come sit, 4 days in not one person has offered that! No wonder why I can't stand people! Thank goodness for the best dog ever!

I spoke to GS about the charge & they didn't give a flying you know what!

I called Room Service back and said calmly that they should come collect the food and try it! They said they send someone & remove the charge!

I am not picky, but when something says it should have chicken it then it should be so, & pasta is pretty inedible if not cooked properly! The carrots were raw in the soup & noodles barely cooked!

We all have choices and mine is that my cruising days on Royal OVER, and that lake house is looking pretty good!

I've seen poor quality food in the buffet as well, and there are things that I refuse to eat there as they're just basic, low quality things. It's more a Royal thing than a room service thing.

Certainly if it's poor quality and you've paid extra for it, you have a case to get it refunded, whatever the reason for your order. As above, I don't see that 'mobility' comes into it. Even if that didn't apply and the food was not up to standard, I believe you should get it addressed. And from your account, that's what room service have done.

Not to mentioned I have had my food cleared while I was refilling my ice tea! I had people take my table even though there was food on it looking like yes someone has left for just a second to get a refill! Again my attitude sucks! I think not!

I might suggest to any Solo Singles make up cute index cards

Saying someone is still here & please don't clear my food! Get a little stand thing for it to grab attention, so the over worked staff might see it & cruisers will hopefully respect it!!

That seems like a sensible idea. Certainly I've had the same issue when I go to the buffet on my own... but then I just go back and get a replacement for whatever was lost. Though it unfortunately creates waste.

Not to mentioned I have had my food cleared while I was refilling my ice tea! I had people take my table even though there was food on it looking like yes someone has left for just a second to get a refill! Again my attitude sucks! I think not!

Saying someone is still here & please don't clear my food! Get a little stand thing for it to grab attention, so the over worked staff might see it & cruisers will hopefully respect it!!

I'll admit I have only been on one solo cruise, however in the WJ, I simply asked the people sitting at the table next to mine if they would watch my table when I went to get a refill. They were happy to do so.

I've cruised solo a couple times and have eaten solo when I've cruised with friends. My biggest tip is to not eat in peak - way easier to find a table. Next tip is to place the napkin in the chair or lean the chair up against the table. Though honestly most of the time I have something personal with me to leave at the table. A beach bag, a reusable water bottle, a book - something someone is likely not to leave behind.

I actually ended my cruise on crutches and my one shoulder small backpack was great - didn't get in the way, carried what I needed, and was a lot smaller than a normal backpack so it didn't look crazy.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

When you are living with mobility challenges you'll understand! It has been really difficult traveling solo with a cane in one hand & trying to get food & drink! Thank goodness for the Solarium bistro! I couldn't even get a table at WJ the other day or park cafe today! I was stuffed into a small corner table that was about nearly impossible to get in & out of at the MDR! Yeah it is hard! Try it sometime and maybe you'll will be a little more helpful, supportive or just maybe you'll see someone on a cane say hi we have an extra chair go get some food and come sit, 4 days in not one person has offered that! No wonder why I can't stand people! Thank goodness for the best dog ever!

I called Room Service back and said calmly that they should come collect the food and try it! They said they send someone & remove the charge!

I am not picky, but when something says it should have chicken it then it should be so, & pasta is pretty inedible if not cooked properly! The carrots were raw in the soup & noodles barely cooked!

We all have choices and mine is that my cruising days on Royal OVER, and that lake house is looking pretty good!

I have lived with a disability for almost 20 years! I can understand what you are saying about not being able to hold the cane and a plate and soda yadda yadda yadda. I also know what it feels like when you know people don't want to make eye contact with you because then they may feel obligated to offer to help. I was by myself for my first 2 years of being disabled. I had a full-length brace on my leg, ZERO weight bearing, and crutches and/or manual wheelchair. Scooters were not really an option back then... Let me just say, going grocery shopping by myself and getting my food up 2 flights of stairs by myself was not my idea of fun!

All that being said, I don't understand is what the room service fee and being mobility challenged have anything to do with one another...

The food not being edible or not what you ordered I can understand you not being happy with it. Maybe you should consider cruising in a GS or above and have the MDR menu available to you for Room Service. I don't think you are charged a fee either...

Hope things get better for you

Why didn't you ask a waiter to get you a refill?

As for getting a table in the WJ you should try getting one when you are confined to a wheelchair.

Though honestly most of the time I have something personal with me to leave at the table. A beach bag, a reusable water bottle, a book - something someone is likely not to leave behind.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

This tip actually works, as I use it when I have to eat alone.

If there is a waiter hovering close by, waiting to clear my food away, I make a point of telling them I have not finished with the food yet.

I have mobility problems and although I have sailed solo, I often go to the WJ myself. It is challenging but not as difficult as OP might suggest.

First I avoid very busy times. It is difficult to navigate, find a table, get a member of staff to help. Other times, everything falls into place. Usually a member of staff will offer to carry your tray, get you a drink etc. I also find it helpful to join other people and share a large table instead of sitting by myself. That solves all the problems of losing your space and having your food taken away.

It is difficult but many things in everyday life tend to be difficult if you have a disability. We just have to find a way to adapt.

This is not unique to solo or mobility challenged people: many of us have had this happen. Yes, establish a way to show that the table is taken. I put my hat and sunglasses in the unoccupied side of the table when I breakfast alone.

Also, you might want to adjust your times when you eat, so you go when it’s less crowded.

These are adjustments we all make to enjoy our cruises and make things more “customized” to our needs.

Having cruised twice with my mobility callenged MIL, a collapsible walker is great on a cruise ship. You can get your food the way you want it and take it back to your cabin on the walker seat. They have covers for the food if you ask.

Adventurous night for MDR! I hope all that Pasta & Rice is actually Cooked! I know the mashed potatoes have been fine! The fish at Bistro way over vcooked the steak looked as well the other day! Off to get wicked runny eggs, but the pancakes okay! Fruit pretty good! Thank goodness for the Bistro!20180920_071309.thumb.jpg.2d7cc28a10b5af3c3bf473dda46412f4.jpg

20180920_071341.thumb.jpg.25cee151e048c716fcc3ee323f64f02b.jpg

Adventurous night for MDR! I hope all that Pasta & Rice is actually Cooked! I know the mashed potatoes have been fine! The fish at Bistro way over vcooked the steak looked as well the other day! Off to get wicked runny eggs, but the pancakes okay! Fruit pretty good! Thank goodness for the Bistro!

Apparently the food issues extend far beyond room service. Glad to see you are getting around though.

I find that a great attitude and the thought that little things are not going to make me get angry at the world helps.

Everyone has challenges in life. Yours is mobility. everyone has something. its up to you to wake up every morning and decide to make the day the best it can be. Will there be things that are challenging.. of course. Will it ruin my day? No. Will it make me hate everyone? No. Your attitude and demeanor shows wherever you go and I have found that when you are happy and relaxed, people tend to want to be closer to you and help.

Did you have bad food for room service? sure. I would have called and explained it politely and gotten a refund. If there are too many things that bother you about your trip that is systemic to the cruise line, Its a way of learning and making better choices in the future. No person is perfect. no business Is perfect and you need to do what's best for you but it sounds like you are not in the best frame of mind. your attitude is contagious so its best to have a great attitude and it will be returned in kind.

Have a great cruise and good luck with everything. I hope your challenges are reduced in the future.

I normally don't say things about the disabled, but I really thought you were wheelchair bound, and some serious mobility issues. But you post cleared it up. You have a mobility challenge, and were looking for some sympathy with it in the original post. Room service is always worse than eating in the dining areas. The charge has nothing to do with your mobility challenge, and it certainly should be charged to you. It should not even be in this topic of conversation your issue.

Before I get bashed, let me tell you my wife is on disability for a life time illness. She walks with two arm canes, not just one. She also uses a mobility scooter, off the ship. She has never once, ordered room service. We are not always together on the ship. She always manages to get food in the Windjammer. Never has an issue at any sit down restaurant. Crew is always available to help. One of the things she loves about RCCL. Plus we travel around the world with these disabilities.

So although your food was not the greatest, don't use your challenges as an excuse not to eat in the dining areas of the ship.

Please dont use your mobility challenges as an excuse. I dont see what you being mobility challenged has anything to do with it. You are making us all look bad. Please just stop it already. If you need help, all you have to do is ask. Ive never even had to ask. Every single time Ive ever rolled into the WJ, there has always been multiple crew members offer to help me. I think you DO deserve a refund for the poor quality food. Being calm and asking nicely goes a long ways :) Try to enjoy the rest of your cruise. I would trade places with you in a heartbeat

Edited by ryano

I'll admit I have only been on one solo cruise, however in the WJ, I simply asked the people sitting at the table next to mine if they would watch my table when I went to get a refill. They were happy to do so.

Traveling Solo last 6yrs and always leave my sweatshirt on back of my chair.