Anne of Green Gables-The Musical or Anne and Gilbert, The Musical?

mary_228

Has anyone seen both? I am a fan of the films of this character and will be on my own to see the play and of course must decide between them. They both end about 3;45 or 4:00, so plenty of time to get back to the ship for my 5:00 departure.

If you have not seen the original Anne of Green Gables musical then you should see it first. It is based on the book of the same name. I have yet to see Anne and Gilbert. I hear it is excellent and is based on a later book.

If you have not seen the original Anne of Green Gables musical then you should see it first. It is based on the book of the same name. I have yet to see Anne and Gilbert. I hear it is excellent and is based on a later book.

I already know the story line of the younger years. I am interested in feedback regarding production values, theater setting, etc.

I have a friend who lives on the Island and she has been begging me to come see Anne and Gilbert. She says it is excellent. I did a search and here are some reviews and comments.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g155023-d4604574-Reviews-Anne_and_Gilbert-Charlottetown_Prince_Edward_Island.html

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/living/review-anne-gilbert-a-canadian-classic-109317/

https://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/shirley-they-can-get-along/

I have a friend who lives on the Island and she has been begging me to come see Anne and Gilbert. She says it is excellent. I did a search and here are some reviews and comments.

Thank you for your research efforts on my behalf. I had read reviews already on Trip Advisor but, of course, they comment on this show only. I am more inclined to see Anne and Gilbert in any case and will attempt to get one of the "cheap" seats on the day in port.

I also wanted to thank you for your many posts in this forum. I used them to plan my shore excursions for my imminent trip. You are a godsend!

Thank you for your research efforts on my behalf. I had read reviews already on Trip Advisor but, of course, they comment on this show only. I am more inclined to see Anne and Gilbert in any case and will attempt to get one of the "cheap" seats on the day in port.

I also wanted to thank you for your many posts in this forum. I used them to plan my shore excursions for my imminent trip. You are a godsend!

What port would this be and what ship are you sailing on? The show sounds like something I would like to see.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Forums mobile app

I have seen both the original Anne, the musical and Anne and Gilbert. The original (book 1) is in a much larger theatre with live pit orchestra as well as a much larger stage.It has been on the same stage for over 50 summers with new sets and some of the earlier casts now playing roles of the older Island women.

My choice is the original. I've been to see it at least ten times in Charlottetown. CAA/AAA get a discount ticket. Avoid first row of balcony as the rail may be at eye level if you are of shorter height. Both theatres are a close walk under ten minutes to the port if you are docked, not tendered. I believe matinees are only Wednesday and Saturday.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have seen both the original Anne, the musical and Anne and Gilbert. The original (book 1) is in a much larger theatre with live pit orchestra as well as a much larger stage.It has been on the same stage for over 50 summers with new sets and some of the earlier casts now playing roles of the older Island women.

My choice is the original. I've been to see it at least ten times in Charlottetown. CAA/AAA get a discount ticket. Avoid first row of balcony as the rail may be at eye level if you are of shorter height. Both theatres are a close walk under ten minutes to the port if you are docked, not tendered. I believe matinees are only Wednesday and Saturday.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Fantastic. Just the information I was looking for. Thank you!

• 1 month later...

Just to follow up on my experience, I purchased a ticket to Anne of Green Gables-The Musical. The box office worker could not assure me of the end time for the show so I informed the people sitting around me that I would be exiting the row (only three people to climb over, side aisle) to catch my ship at 4:00. I missed a few numbers but preferred a bit of safety net as to getting back onboard.

As to the production, I enjoyed the live orchestra, set design, costumes and performances, but wished I had attended the other production. Perhaps due to my familiarity with Anne's early years, I fell asleep multiple times during the show! To each his own!