Barbados catamarans

jayjaycan

In Bridgetown Barbados there are more than a dozen companies offering catamaran lunch, turtle snorkel cruises that are almost identical in itinerary, with all departing 9:00 am - 2:00 pm. The capacity of these catamarans ranges from 12 (2 companies) to 46 passengers (all others).

As far as I can determe there is one turtle viewing area and one shipwreck snorkel site. Does anyone have any other information?

My main question is, how do these sights manage the volume of snorkelers/swimmers?

I have read a few reviews where people complained about overcrowding and collisions with other swimmers, yet most reviewers seem to enjjoy the experience.

Surely there must be some control. Would someone with experience with this excursion please post their comments.

Thank you

I did one off of Harbor lights. There were a few boats there. At times there were a lot of people. Each boat did a great job of trying to keep its passengers in a separate section. At no time was it like I couldn't move in the water because people were all around me. If you are super concerned about this, maybe you want to find a boat with fewer passengers.

As far as the snorkelling with the turtles it doesn't matter how many are on your boat...you'll be in the water with swimmers from multiple boats large and small. Last time in Barbados, and as well for our upcoming cruise, we'll be heading to Harbour Lights right after an early breakfast on the ship. We'll grab two loungers and an umbrella from the crew there and settle in for a few hours. Last time a guy came by offering rides out to the turtles and the shipwreck for $20pp...he took our names and said he'd come back and get us when he was ready to go out. Seems there were two of them, one takes the boat out while the other gathers more customers. He was back within the hour and off we went. The water was crowded with others but definitely lots of room to swim around. We saw a mother and baby turtle, an older really really large turtle as well as lots of other turtles. Was such a great experience. We had lots of time to swim with the turtles before being called back to the boat. We relaxed for a while longer on the beach, enjoying the scenery and quieter vibe than over at the Boatyard and then headed back to the ship for a late lunch. Was a more economical day for us, while still having the turtle snorkel experience!

On this topic: Do the $20-30 boats that leave from the beach clubs (Harbor Lights, Pirate Cove, Lobsters Alive) go to the same locations as the $95 catamarans?

That's been the thing I can't figure out. Everyone praises the catamarans, and it seems to be about relaxing, food, drinks, and service. Not that those things aren't nice, but we are there for the water. I don't need to be wined and dined, I want maximum time snorkeling. So, will the catamarans give me a different in-water experience?

On this topic: Do the $20-30 boats that leave from the beach clubs (Harbor Lights, Pirate Cove, Lobsters Alive) go to the same locations as the $95 catamarans?

That's been the thing I can't figure out. Everyone praises the catamarans, and it seems to be about relaxing, food, drinks, and service. Not that those things aren't nice, but we are there for the water. I don't need to be wined and dined, I want maximum time snorkeling. So, will the catamarans give me a different in-water experience?

Which one would you recommend as the best ? Few more questions if you don’t mind...how much is taxi to get there? Do you have to pay for the beach plus the boat out to the turtles? Also do they have snorkel gear and jackets? Going in 2 weeks and this is our first trip to Barbados. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Which one would you recommend as the best ? Few more questions if you don’t mind...how much is taxi to get there? Do you have to pay for the beach plus the boat out to the turtles? Also do they have snorkel gear and jackets? Going in 2 weeks and this is our first trip to Barbados. Thanks

Catamaran Lunch Tours

Calabaza or Silver Moon $120 pp, max pax 12

Tiami or Cool Runnings $96 pp, pax - 30 to 45

Harbor Lights

Taxi fare approx. $5 pp each way, $20 for 2 chairs + umbrella, $20 pp for boat trip including gear.

Thanks to others for their reply.

Yes, everyone goes to the same area to snorkel with the turtles as well as the shipwreck. I think some people choose to do the catamarans because it's a 5-6 hour long excursion that includes open bar and food as well as pick up and drop off at the ship. We walked to Harbour Lights from the ship and took a cab back. Took a couple granola bars to tide us over between breakfast and late lunch back on the ship. All depends what you are looking for and nice to have options for different experiences.

Catamaran Lunch Tours

Calabaza or Silver Moon $120 pp, max pax 12

Tiami or Cool Runnings $96 pp, pax - 30 to 45

Harbor Lights

Taxi fare approx. $5 pp each way, $20 for 2 chairs + umbrella, $20 pp for boat trip including gear.

CAlypso Girl $115 - max 14 passengers

Harbor Lights

Harbour Lights is actually $20 pp total for the boat trip, chair, and the shared umbrella. :)

459932195_ScreenShot2018-06-20at3_59_21PM.png.5a6b1a88233e66d2debf32797ca34f9a.png

Yes, everyone goes to the same area to snorkel with the turtles as well as the shipwreck. I think some people choose to do the catamarans because it's a 5-6 hour long excursion that includes open bar and food as well as pick up and drop off at the ship. We walked to Harbour Lights from the ship and took a cab back. Took a couple granola bars to tide us over between breakfast and late lunch back on the ship. All depends what you are looking for and nice to have options for different experiences.

Thank you so much! I had read all the praises, and I totally get it. It sounds quite lovely.:D But, I think for *us* beach time + a trip focusing on the water time would be perfectly fine, and roughly $130 cheaper. I just wasn't clear if the more private catamarans actually got you to different, maybe less crowded, places. Or maybe more shipwrecks. I would love to see more than one ship :D

Thank you so much! I had read all the praises, and I totally get it. It sounds quite lovely.:D But, I think for *us* beach time + a trip focusing on the water time would be perfectly fine, and roughly $130 cheaper. I just wasn't clear if the more private catamarans actually got you to different, maybe less crowded, places. Or maybe more shipwrecks. I would love to see more than one ship :D

Agree, I even contacted one of the catamaran companies to find out where they go to snorkel with the turtles and when I was told it was the same then that's when we decided to just go to Harbour Lights on our own and do the snorkel from there. We have to take into consideration the currency exchange as well so adding 34% to the catamaran charge makes it a super expensive excursion for us.

Calypso Girl with Nick Knowles is wonderful...We go with him everytime we cruise to Barbados. His maximum is 14 people. Simply wonderful

How do you contact Calypso Girl? I'm not unsophisticated with the internet, but dang if I can figure out how to contact them.

Thanks for your help.

How do you contact Calypso Girl? I'm not unsophisticated with the internet, but dang if I can figure out how to contact them.

Thanks for your help.

I've just been in contact with them by email this week. They're having some sort of difficulty getting emails right now. Nick did get back to me, but it took about a week and a half for him to see my emails. Keep trying.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Forums mobile app

Harbor Lights - do they offer snorkel gear and life jackets to go out to swim with the turtles?

Taxi - $5 pp each way and $20 for 2 chairs/umbrella and boat trip? Sound right?:confused:

Yes, unless you swim directly from the beach. If you go with one of the boat operators they have gear as well as vests. We bring our own...can't stomach the idea of using someone else's snorkel :o Last time we paid $20 for two chairs and an umbrella and then another $20pp for the snorkel trip (total $60US)...looks like HL is trying to compete with Boatyard and their prices by including the snorkel with the cost of chairs/umbrella...however, not sure you realize it's $20per person for chair, shared umbrella and boat trip.