Cheers package--one does not drink for medical reasons-can other buy still?

No exceptions. The actions of the clientele as a whole makes it impossible so the ones who could truly use an exemption get the short end of the stick.

Carnival simply can't do it with the number of people who will scheme to enable their theft so they save a few hundred $$$.

That is fantastic, I would have never thought of asking. My mom has our baby in her cabin, but she will be sleeping with us. Her husband goes to bed around 7, and she is going to babysit a few nights for us. If I have an extra key made she can come, and go with the baby, and put her to bed. Thank you for the heads up.

What we did was when got on board we went to guess services and had an extra keys made to unlock your door the two cabin doors. So, those passengers that switched would have two keys one key to unlock their cabin door and the other (there personal key) would be their sign and sail key. It worked well.
Edited by JenniX
Misspelled

Shame on Carnival

Shame on carnival? How about shame on all the people who come on here talking about how they get their kids milkshakes or their friends drinks with their cheers. The rules exist for a reason. And a perfect example of the illogical argument that sneaking a few drinks doesn’t hurt anyone. It hurts your fellow cruisers when they tighten up the rules.

Do you really think that if you went to a doctor and said you wanted to stop drinking for health reasons, that they wouldn’t write you a note to get you out of cheers. Any doctor can honestly say about any patient that they are advising their patient not to drink. A doctors note doesn’t mean much in this situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Depending on how much and what the drinker drinks, Cheers can be worth it even given the "everyone over 21 in the cabin must buy" rule. The breakeven is ~ 5 martinis / Alchemy drinks / nice glasses of wine, and that's if the drinker has zero soda, bottled water, etc. So if the drinker favors higher cost booze over beer, and would hit 10 per day, you've broken even without a single soda or bottled water for either person. If the fallback plan is Bottomless Bubbles, indicating that you do plan to get sodas and such, the math becomes even easier. You just need to do the calculation on how much and what each of you will drink, and then decide, vs "only one of us drinks, so Cheers is clearly a no go" bad logic.

Depending on how much and what the drinker drinks, Cheers can be worth it even given the "everyone over 21 in the cabin must buy" rule. The breakeven is ~ 5 martinis / Alchemy drinks / nice glasses of wine, and that's if the drinker has zero soda, bottled water, etc. So if the drinker favors higher cost booze over beer, and would hit 10 per day, you've broken even without a single soda or bottled water for either person. If the fallback plan is Bottomless Bubbles, indicating that you do plan to get sodas and such, the math becomes even easier. You just need to do the calculation on how much and what each of you will drink, and then decide, vs "only one of us drinks, so Cheers is clearly a no go" bad logic.

You are, of course, absolutely right. Unfortunately, however, most people (here at least) suck at math and instead of comparing total cost only see this as "if we BOTH have to buy Cheers then we are paying for 30 drinks a day, so we're losing money by not drinking 30 a day"

You are, of course, absolutely right. Unfortunately, however, most people (here at least) suck at math and instead of comparing total cost only see this as "if we BOTH have to buy Cheers then we are paying for 30 drinks a day, so we're losing money by not drinking 30 a day"

I'm not touching the "suck at math" part, ha! I think it's more a knee jerk reaction, which is why I push for logic. But then, I'm an accountant, so... :D

That's exactly how I look at it, not necessarily the break even cost but how to get the most out of my money.

I don't leave Golden Corral until I'm darn near stuffed full.

I want to get my money's worth.

FWIW I have pretty much decided that we're not going to get Cheers going forward. It psychologically forces us to over-drink which is not good. We go months without a drop of alcohol at home, no need to drink 15 drinks daily on a cruise. To each their own!

Hi All,

We are planning a family reunion type trip with about 6 cabins, 2 people each.

My spouse drinks and wants the package since it is a group cruise with other drinkers.

I don't drink--for medical reasons I have MS and just stick to healthier options.

Would my spouse still be able to purchase the package if I had a Dr note?

Please review the program rules on Carnival's site. They are pretty explanatory.

Sorry OP, Carnival, unlike some other lines, does not trust their customers in this regard.

Carnival is not stupid. They know how the cheaters circumvent the rules, and Carnival compensates by raising prices, and rules to circumvent some of the cheating to a tolerable level. When it gets out of hand again, they will raise the prices/change the rules again.

Even at 5 or 6 drinks a day it isn't worth it to us. I've yet to have an alcohol bill go over 400 dollars and we drink all we want. We just don't want that much. Our last cruise was an 8 day and my total booze bill was under 350 for both of us. (Mostly me. She maybe had 3 drinks all cruise)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Forums mobile app

Regardless of what the rule is and what one might feel about the rules, you know the rules and accept those rules when you chose to purchase a cruise. If only one person drinks and they don't want to pay as they go, and they don't want to pay for a package for two to get the illusion they are drinking for free then they do not have to go on the cruise. Drink packages are not a right or an entitlement and no one is forcing anyone to purchase a cruise.

Chippy Chippy So you have never thought something should be changed or in your opinion was dumb?

This was in response to someone calling Carnival stupid (not sure how that works, but OK). I thought it was a pretty funny response.

Even at 5 or 6 drinks a day it isn't worth it to us. I've yet to have an alcohol bill go over 400 dollars and we drink all we want. We just don't want that much. Our last cruise was an 8 day and my total booze bill was under 350 for both of us. (Mostly me. She maybe had 3 drinks all cruise)

So no, 5-6 drinks per day definitely does not justify cheers for 2. But if you drink, say, 12 a day and your wife drinks nothing, cheers for two may work out in your favor. That's my point.

Hi All,

We are planning a family reunion type trip with about 6 cabins, 2 people each.

My spouse drinks and wants the package since it is a group cruise with other drinkers.

I don't drink--for medical reasons I have MS and just stick to healthier options.

Would my spouse still be able to purchase the package if I had a Dr note?

the answer is - sometimes. Speak to the Food and Beverage officer, if you have a note from your doctor. It worked for us

It sounds like that's the right decision for you guys, and I applaud you for using math to get there! :D

It sounds like that's the right decision for you guys, and I applaud you for using math to get there! :D

IndyGirl you need to tuck this one away for the next time someone says "they made me study algebra in school and I've never used it once in real life". :D

• 6 months later...

I do not understand the reason for this rule.  If you are limited to 15 drinks a day with the package, what difference does it make if one or two people drink.  As I understand once the limit of 15 is hit you start paying for the drinks for the rest of the day.