Alaska on Princess or Holland America?

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:25 PM.
#1
4 Posts
Joined Jul 2018
Hi,

I am planning father/daughter cruise the first week of September. My dad is in his 70's quite active, loves fishing, enjoys the naturalists, evening production shows on the boat, and eating alaskan fish and seafood (hopefully they are on the menu). I enjoy the same things plus educational activities and the fitness center.

We are going to do a one way Alaska cruise (either Vancouver to Whittier/Seward or the reverse). Both Princess and Holland America offer the exact same itinerary on the same dates.

I am wondering which cruise line may be a better fit for the activities we enjoy and have a crowd that fits well for both of our ages. I have read that Holland America tends to attract older travelers but then I have also read that Alaska is an exception.

Has anyone been on both to Alaska or either? Any thoughts on which might be a better fit for us?

Thanks!
#2
Tropical Island
3,584 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Princess has a higher passenger average age than HAL, so there's that. I sailed Princess to Alaska. It seemed to me that there were more couples, mostly in the 60-70 year old range, on that cruise than there were on my HAL cruises. HAL seems to be more education oriented than the other cruise lines I've been on.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Previous Cruises

49 nights with RCCL, 7 nights with Carnival, 11 nights with Disney, 14 nights with Princess, 45 nights with HAL
#3
4 Posts
Joined Jul 2018
Thanks, that is helpful. I may have had some bad information about the average age of HAL passengers.

Originally posted by boulders
Princess has a higher passenger average age than HAL, so there's that. I sailed Princess to Alaska. It seemed to me that there were more couples, mostly in the 60-70 year old range, on that cruise than there were on my HAL cruises. HAL seems to be more education oriented than the other cruise lines I've been on.
#4
Virgina
5,246 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
We did Princess as they are the leaders. I have not been on HAL but from what I read they do tend to be an older more sedate demographic. We were in our early 40’s and our boys about 8 and 15. We went Memorial Day week and there were tons of families on board as well as couples our age to couples in their 80s. We really really enjoy Princess.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature




Royal Caribbean February 2000 (Eastern)
Carnival Valor March 2007 (Western)
Carnival Legend March 2008 (Western)
Carnival Fascination March 2009 (Key West/Nassau)
Carnival Glory August 2009 (Eastern)
Carnival Glory June 2010 (Canada)
Carnival Fascination December 2010 (Bahamas)
Carnival Legend March 2012 (Western)
Caribbean Princess March 2013 (Southern)
Carnival Victory January 2014 (Western)
Carnival Fantasy March 2014 (Eastern)
Grand Princess May 2014 (Alaska)
Carnival Sunshine February 2015 (Western)
Carnival Conquest December 2015 (Western)
Carnival Sunshine October 2016 (Canada)
Carnival Magic December 2016 (Eastern)
Carnival Sunshine October 2017 (Norfolk to Bahamas)
Carnival Triumph December 2017 (Yucatan)
Carnival Fascination March 2018 (Island hopper)
#5
884 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
We're big Princess fans. We just did our 14th and 15th trip to Alaska with them.

On my blog I did a "live from" on the northbound sailing of the Island Princess and the southbound sailing of the Golden Princess in May and June of this year. You might take a look there (here are May's postings) as in addition to the daily wrap-up I also have links to the Patters, the daily paper that details what is happening around the ship each day. They might give you an idea of what kinds of activities they have and whether Princess would be a good fit for you and your dad.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Deb
CRUISING & CRAFTING. What else is there?
#6
7 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
I have gone to Alaska on Princess, RCI and Holland -- I would choose Princess over Holland. The Holland ship was much smaller than either of the others I had been on and I prefer the larger/mid-size ships. It was a good value but next time I'll go back to Princess or RCI.
#7
USA
5,509 Posts
Joined Jun 2007
Originally posted by boulders
Princess has a higher passenger average age than HAL..
Actually, the opposite is true. HAL is known for it's older demographic...especially when compared to Princess. Of course, both lines will have a varied age group of passengers, but HAL's is typically older overall.

Princess does a great job in Alaska but I've heard that HAL does too. Probably won't go wrong with either.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Life's Milestones are Best Celebrated in Nautical Miles.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oceania Insignia 1-2019 (World Cruise - 161 days)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oceania Insignia 12-2017 (Cuba - 7 days)
Regal Princess 11-2017 (Western Caribbean - 7 days)
Caribbean Princess 3-2017 (Southern Caribbean - 8 days)
Celebrity Silhouette 8-2016 (British Isles, Guernsey, Belgium, Amsterdam - 14 days)
Grand Princess 11-2015 (Hawaii - 15 days)

Celebrity Infinity 10-2014 (TA - England, Azores, Bermuda, Bahamas - 14 days)
Celebrity Reflection 3-2014 (Eastern Caribbean - 7 days)
Crown Princess 7-2013 (Baltics/Russia - 14 days)
Emerald Princess 3-2012 (Eastern Caribbean - 10 days)
Caribbean Princess 6-2011 (Canada/New England - 9 days)
Crown Princess 9-2010 (TA - British Isles, Iceland, Greenland, Canada - 14 days)
Coral Princess 12-2008 (Full Panama Canal, Central America, Mexico - 14 days)
Sun Princess 9-2007 (Alaska - 7 days)
Carnival Paradise 9-2003 (Western Caribbean - 7 days)
Carnival Fantasy 1-1990 (Bahamas - 4 days)
Carnival Holiday 12-1989 (Western Caribbean - 7 days)

#8
Buckeye, AZ
435 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Originally posted by idahospud
We're big Princess fans. We just did our 14th and 15th trip to Alaska with them.



On my blog I did a "live from" on the northbound sailing of the Island Princess and the southbound sailing of the Golden Princess in May and June of this year. You might take a look there (here are May's postings) as in addition to the daily wrap-up I also have links to the Patters, the daily paper that details what is happening around the ship each day. They might give you an idea of what kinds of activities they have and whether Princess would be a good fit for you and your dad.


I see you are from Boise and a “ reformed educator” . I’m from north Idaho and a retired educator. I’m wondering where your next cruise will be? My email is bettty45 at gmail.com.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
#9
884 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
Originally posted by bettty45
I see you are from Boise and a “ reformed educator” . I’m from north Idaho and a retired educator. I’m wondering where your next cruise will be? My email is bettty45 at gmail.com.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
We're heading out next week. Doing a "live from" on the Caribbean Princess Aug 18-Sept 8. Best way to celebrate not having to go back to school anymore!

When's your next one?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Deb
CRUISING & CRAFTING. What else is there?
#10
Buckeye, AZ
435 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Originally posted by idahospud
We're heading out next week. Doing a "live from" on the Caribbean Princess Aug 18-Sept 8. Best way to celebrate not having to go back to school anymore!

When's your next one?


Our next is the Panama Canal after thanksgiving on Norwegian going east to west !!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#11
Tropical Island
3,584 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Actually, the opposite is true. HAL is known for it's older demographic...especially when compared to Princess. Of course, both lines will have a varied age group of passengers, but HAL's is typically older overall.
Not according to one of the ship's officers on my last HAL cruise. Princess, at the time anyway, had a slighter higher average age, taking into account all of their cruises.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Previous Cruises

49 nights with RCCL, 7 nights with Carnival, 11 nights with Disney, 14 nights with Princess, 45 nights with HAL
#12
USA
5,509 Posts
Joined Jun 2007
Originally posted by boulders
Not according to one of the ship's officers on my last HAL cruise. Princess, at the time anyway, had a slighter higher average age, taking into account all of their cruises.
Well, according to many, many Cruise Critic posters, HAL has the older demographic. My elderly parents only took 1 cruise (and it was on HAL) and dad called it a "floating nursing home."

I've sailed 100 days on Princess and most people are 40-60 yrs old....very similar to Celebrity.

But in regards to th OP's topic, both Princess and HAL have good Alaska cruise programs.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Life's Milestones are Best Celebrated in Nautical Miles.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oceania Insignia 1-2019 (World Cruise - 161 days)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oceania Insignia 12-2017 (Cuba - 7 days)
Regal Princess 11-2017 (Western Caribbean - 7 days)
Caribbean Princess 3-2017 (Southern Caribbean - 8 days)
Celebrity Silhouette 8-2016 (British Isles, Guernsey, Belgium, Amsterdam - 14 days)
Grand Princess 11-2015 (Hawaii - 15 days)

Celebrity Infinity 10-2014 (TA - England, Azores, Bermuda, Bahamas - 14 days)
Celebrity Reflection 3-2014 (Eastern Caribbean - 7 days)
Crown Princess 7-2013 (Baltics/Russia - 14 days)
Emerald Princess 3-2012 (Eastern Caribbean - 10 days)
Caribbean Princess 6-2011 (Canada/New England - 9 days)
Crown Princess 9-2010 (TA - British Isles, Iceland, Greenland, Canada - 14 days)
Coral Princess 12-2008 (Full Panama Canal, Central America, Mexico - 14 days)
Sun Princess 9-2007 (Alaska - 7 days)
Carnival Paradise 9-2003 (Western Caribbean - 7 days)
Carnival Fantasy 1-1990 (Bahamas - 4 days)
Carnival Holiday 12-1989 (Western Caribbean - 7 days)

#13
Gibsons, British Columbia
439 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
HAL has been going to Alaska for 70 years and considered by many to be the best but the demographic is older and the ships smaller. I like the smaller ships especially as they tour Glacier Bay. The educational sessions are excellent if you like that sort of thing,
#14
9 Posts
Joined Jun 2018
Originally posted by Go-Bucks!
Well, according to many, many Cruise Critic posters, HAL has the older demographic. My elderly parents only took 1 cruise (and it was on HAL) and dad called it a "floating nursing home."

I've sailed 100 days on Princess and most people are 40-60 yrs old....very similar to Celebrity.

But in regards to th OP's topic, both Princess and HAL have good Alaska cruise programs.
Go-Bucks, your dad is funny. I’m sailing on HAL in a couple of weeks. This is my 2nd cruise the first was when I was much younger. I’m 58 and very active but I chose HAL because I thought I would like a smaller ship. Looking forward to a good time.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
URL=https://www.cruisecritic.com/][/url]
#15
Colorado
139 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
These are two somewhat similar cruise lines. If you want to be educated about your surroundings and ports, Holland does the best job. Otherwise, look at what venues are offered on the respective lines. Do you like blues, Holland has a blues club. Etc.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#16
Dallas,TX
9 Posts
Joined Sep 2018
I've been to Alaska on HAL. I thought they did an excellent job explaining what we were seeing. A naturalist came on board for the time we were in Glacier Bay. I found that HAL in general had more activities suited to those who liked an enriching experience than the other cruises I've been on. But I've never been on a Princess cruise so I cannot compare. Does Princess go into Glacier Bay? Some cruise lines cannot. It's really worth seeing.
#17
USA
5,509 Posts
Joined Jun 2007
Originally posted by Oleander3401
I've been to Alaska on HAL. I thought they did an excellent job explaining what we were seeing. A naturalist came on board for the time we were in Glacier Bay. I found that HAL in general had more activities suited to those who liked an enriching experience than the other cruises I've been on. But I've never been on a Princess cruise so I cannot compare. Does Princess go into Glacier Bay? Some cruise lines cannot. It's really worth seeing.
Yes, Princess is one of the few allowed in Glacier Bay. They also own a train going up to Denali, along with lodges to stay in there and tour guides there. Princess does an excellent job in Alaska.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Life's Milestones are Best Celebrated in Nautical Miles.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oceania Insignia 1-2019 (World Cruise - 161 days)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oceania Insignia 12-2017 (Cuba - 7 days)
Regal Princess 11-2017 (Western Caribbean - 7 days)
Caribbean Princess 3-2017 (Southern Caribbean - 8 days)
Celebrity Silhouette 8-2016 (British Isles, Guernsey, Belgium, Amsterdam - 14 days)
Grand Princess 11-2015 (Hawaii - 15 days)

Celebrity Infinity 10-2014 (TA - England, Azores, Bermuda, Bahamas - 14 days)
Celebrity Reflection 3-2014 (Eastern Caribbean - 7 days)
Crown Princess 7-2013 (Baltics/Russia - 14 days)
Emerald Princess 3-2012 (Eastern Caribbean - 10 days)
Caribbean Princess 6-2011 (Canada/New England - 9 days)
Crown Princess 9-2010 (TA - British Isles, Iceland, Greenland, Canada - 14 days)
Coral Princess 12-2008 (Full Panama Canal, Central America, Mexico - 14 days)
Sun Princess 9-2007 (Alaska - 7 days)
Carnival Paradise 9-2003 (Western Caribbean - 7 days)
Carnival Fantasy 1-1990 (Bahamas - 4 days)
Carnival Holiday 12-1989 (Western Caribbean - 7 days)

#18
Florida
21,483 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
Either one will be great.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
We've been on
Carnival: 27 voyages 184 days
Celebrity: 3 voyages 24 days
Holland: 32 voyages 842 days
Norwegian: 2 voyages 16 days
Princess: 16 voyages 154 days
Royal Carib: 5 voyages 35 days
Vantage:River 2 voyages 39 days
GRAND TOTAL: 87 Cruises 1299 days

NOT YET SAILED

Prinsendam Amster to FTL 8/18 96 days
Zaandam Antarctic 12/18 - 22 days
Amsterdam World Cruise 1/19 113 days
Nieuw Statadam 8/19 52 days
Koningsdam 10/19 37 days
Amsterdam World Cruise 1/20 128 days
#19
13,457 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
We would select by ship, itinerary, time in port, and price. Both cruise lines are good. I would not be too concerned about logo on the funnel.
#20
1,052 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
Originally posted by iancal
We would select by ship, itinerary, time in port, and price. Both cruise lines are good. I would not be too concerned about logo on the funnel.

I agree with this philosophy, especially for Alaska. Itinerary and time in port are very important in Alaska. I have sailed with Princess and RCI in Alaska and would gladly go with either again. The Radiance of the Seas has a great itinerary. It does not include Glacier Bay (which some say is a must), but does include Hubbard Glacier and usually enough time in Juneau to go to Tracy Arm with Adventure Bound to see Sawyer Glaciers. We had no issues with getting to Sawyer or Hubbard last May, as some report can happen.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2018 - Jewel of the Seas - Barbados / Dominica / Grenada / St Maarten / St Thomas
2018 - HAL Rotterdam - Key West / Roatan / Santo Tomas de Castillo / Costa Maya
2017 - Radiance of the Seas - Alaskan Cruise - Vancouver to Seward - Ketchikan / Sitka / Haines / Juneau / Skagway / Hubbard Glacier
2016 - Carnival Splendor - Roatan / Belize / Costa Maya / Cozumel / Grand Cayman
2016 - Carnival Valor - Nassau / Amber Cove / Grand Turk
2015 - Explorer of the Seas - Cocoa Cay / Cozumel
2014 - Jewel of the Seas - Southern Caribbean
2013 - Voyager of the Seas - Western Caribbean
2010 - Carnival Breeze - Eastern Caribbean
2008 - Norwegian - Exotic Western Caribbean
2007 - Princess - Alaskan Cruise
1995 - SeaBreeze - Eastern Caribbean
1992 - Mardi Gras - Bahamas
1991 - Fesitvale - Bahamas
1991 - MS Caribe 1 - Eastern Caribbean
1988 - Starship Oceanic - Bahamas