Norwegian Obstructed ocean view cabins -Jewel Class

1JockeyGirl

I booked an obstructed view cabin on deck 8 on the Pearl to Alaska a few years back and was very happy with it.

Booking a cruise this fall on the similar Gem. Does anyone have an opinion on which obstructed view cabins have the better layouts? I was in 8568 or similar but now looking at the longer front to back cabins 8590 and up.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They are called sideway cabins. We stayed in 8094 on the Jade and found it fine. Close to the mid-ship elevators.

We will NOT do insides (once, and never again) so the OK Obstructed Ocean View cabins are perfect for us when we go on expensive cruises (like closed loop).

I booked an obstructed view cabin on deck 8 on the Pearl ...

this fall on the similar Gem. Does anyone have an opinion on which obstructed view cabins have the better layouts? I was in 8568 or similar but now looking at the longer front to back cabins 8590 and up ... Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We're #8570 on the Gem this May, it's a very quiet area as you well know, and there are some sideway insides across the corridor - feel free to click thru the linked review below (under Signature) ... NCL did an excellent refurb out of dry dock, with USB charging port integrated into the new bedside lamp next to the bed. Oh, ours had 2 smaller vertical windows, not the single & bigger rectangular window - really don't matter to us, still get good natural daylights coming thru.

Those 3 obstructed OV sideways offer convenient access, i.e. 8590 would be furthest from the stairs/corridors & elevators - but, you might hear some noises thru the doors during the evening hours coming from the atrium lobby below. It does quiet down by late night, went on a little longer on the last sea "night" en route back to NY, as expected. Not an issue unless you go to sleep at 10 PM nightly due to work routines, etc.

Folks that stayed in these sideway cabins tend to like them. There are YT videos out there - look for them listed under the Gem, Pearl, Dawn or Jewel, etc. - they are the same layout & square footage as the other obstructed OV cabins.

As for the big white space, behind 2 sets of doors are the main staircases for crew use only (and, for emergency egress in case of emergencies) & service elevators ... very quiet. Plus hotel and housekeeping service closets & storage for linens, etc. We had a very good & responsive Room Steward for our section, another RS service those further back - all of them very friendly & took good care of our needs and requests.

fb44bd3d00cad06f3c71e1afc9c2eda8.jpg

80ff08a815faf55a14eb3c00b8078501.jpg