Rented car in Port Canaveral - what should be on our list?

Oshawapilot

As the title says, we are in Port Canaveral from 7A to 6PM on our upcoming cruise.

I've booked a rental through Enterprise and have read up on the shuttle routine, etc etc. We will plan to be off the ship fairly early after arrival and are aiming to have the car and be off and running by 9AM or so. Will aim to have the car returned and be back at the ship by 4:30-5PM at the latest.

So..what to do. Kennedy Space Center, as nice as it would be to do, is outside the budget given the number of people in our group, and I've heard that you really need multiple days to really take it all in anyways - I'd be frustrated trying to jam it into basically 6 hours.

We are looking at the following:

- Checkout Cocoa Beach and the pier, etc.

- The US Air Force Space & Missile Museum just east of the cruise port. Looks like it's free and well regarded.

- Rest of the fam wants to drive up to Merrit Island National Wildlife Reserve to see everything there, including (hopefully) the manatees. Looks like easily 2-4 hours here from what I can gather?

Looking for other suggestions on other options or anything else we may be missing within a 30 minute drive of the cruise port that we may be able to add to our list if the day goes faster/differently than we have in mind at this point. Obviously we can't jam a million things into an 11 hour day (especially since we need to budget probably 3 hours of our overall port time out of the math for rental car pickup and return/shuttle/etc) but just looking for thoughts.

Thanks in advance all.

Captain BJ has compiled an extensive list:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=54862278&postcount=3

Dangit, I suspected someone had, but I couldn't dig it up... and right in the very forum where I'd initially asked this question without response. ;)

Still open to other suggestions - I know there's a lot more in the area, Merrit Island (as per our existing plans) for one example.

Edited by Oshawapilot