[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:29 PM.
Scotland
101 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
Originally posted by Blackjack22
My point is, there are lots of definitions of vegan and a lot of people (myself included) consider shrimp vegan.
Ok, so I did make the jokey-y comment about the definition of animals trying to keep this lighthearted. As for bacteria, they are not sentient animals so that isn't relevant our discussion.

So there are people who think consuming bivalves and prawns is vegan - I already made that point. But for the majority of vegans (and organisations that represent us in the UK), prawns wouldn't be considered vegan. Much like backyard eggs.

Even the vegetarian society says prawns aren't vegetarian as they're shellfish.
https://www.vegsoc.org/definitions

Maybe it is a UK vs US thing - but for over here vegan equals plant based.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
--------------------------------------------------------
"Vegan for the animals, cruiser for the fun of it!"
Check out my blog on:
vegancruiser.co.uk

@vegancruiser on Twitter & IG
68 Posts
Joined Jul 2017
Originally posted by MsPoppadom
As for bacteria, they are not sentient animals so that isn't relevant our discussion.
Neither are mollusks or shrimp though so I just don't understand how your definitions or any British definition for vegan is even possible unless a person is eating in a sterile environment and only eating amino acids, fats and carbohydrates that are manufactured in a sterile lab using sterile "plant based" inputs. I just always thought most people who were vegan were doing it for ethical reasons.

I certainly don't do it for the "health of it", I have been strictly adhering to a vegan diet for a long time and my doctor begs me to quit because of my anemia and sugar diabetes, but he just doesn't get it. I'm not going to sacrifice a bunch of innocent animals and make them have hard lives and painful deaths in order to MAYBE feel a little better and take fewer meds. NO THANK YOU DOCTOR! Sorry for the rant.
Ontario, Canada
322 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
You folks are way off on this I'm really sorry to say. So you completely sterilize your food before consumption? How is that even edible? You realize you would be killing the bacteria, amoeba etc in the process and their bodies are still on the food. What about the accidental critters that get introduced into the production of food? Bacteria "poops" as you say. My point is, there are lots of definitions of vegan and a lot of people (myself included) consider shrimp vegan.
I never said anything about bacteria. I said Shrimp actually poop. And vegans don't eat anything that poops, has eyes or veins. You really need to research the true definition of a vegan because if you eat shrimp you are not even vegetarian. Or would be called a pescetarian. Here is that definition https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pescetarianism
I am from Canada and you would not be considered a vegan. There are lots of variations of a vegan but consuming shrimp or fish is not part of the variations here. I have never met or known a vegan in real life or online that consumes these things.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
RCL Oasis Feb. 2018
Carnival Victory Mar.2017
Disney Fantasy Apr.2016
Disney Dream May 2014
Carnival Destiny Nov. 2010
Grand Princess Jan. 2008
68 Posts
Joined Jul 2017
Originally posted by cruisingfor5
I never said anything about bacteria. I said Shrimp actually poop. And vegans don't eat anything that poops, has eyes or veins. You really need to research the true definition of a vegan because if you eat shrimp you are not even vegetarian. Or would be called a pescetarian. Here is that definition https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pescetarianism
I am from Canada and you would not be considered a vegan. There are lots of variations of a vegan but consuming shrimp or fish is not part of the variations here. I have never met or known a vegan in real life or online that consumes these things.
I've never heard a person in America say vegans don't eat anything that poops, has veins or eyes. I think you guys are like a lot of my vegan friends.

I'll start off by saying that I'm glad they are vegans because they are helping to end pain and suffering in the world. However they get into being a vegan for misguided reasons or don't fully understand what it means to be a vegan. I've actully got a "vegan" friend who sees nothing wrong with having leather seats! Another friend BOUGHT a designer dog. Another friend had her daughter's birthday party at a freaking zoo! I mean they are real looney tunes, but they don't eat anything with a nervous system which can react to external stimuli and command mobility and thus they are vegan.

Bacteria poop and so do shrimp. Shrimp aren't fish. I eat bacteria and shrimp, but don't eat fish. I'm a vegan.

Let me be clear also, I'm not trying to come off as some high and mighty person who you all should aspire to as some guru or role model. I could definitely live a more sustainable lifestyle. But I do think I'm a pretty good role model for how to live vegan and reduce suffering.
84 Posts
Joined May 2004
I eat bacteria and shrimp, but don't eat fish. I'm a vegan.
Uh huh. And I eat vegetables and bacon, but do not eat shrimp. I'm an observant Jew. Keep telling yourself that.
68 Posts
Joined Jul 2017
Originally posted by pf778c
Uh huh. And I eat vegetables and bacon, but do not eat shrimp. I'm an observant Jew. Keep telling yourself that.

I don't care about your religion man, whatever helps you sleep at night.
1,382 Posts
Joined Apr 2004
I've never heard a person in America say vegans don't eat anything that poops, has veins or eyes. I think you guys are like a lot of my vegan friends.

I'll start off by saying that I'm glad they are vegans because they are helping to end pain and suffering in the world. However they get into being a vegan for misguided reasons or don't fully understand what it means to be a vegan. I've actully got a "vegan" friend who sees nothing wrong with having leather seats! Another friend BOUGHT a designer dog. Another friend had her daughter's birthday party at a freaking zoo! I mean they are real looney tunes, but they don't eat anything with a nervous system which can react to external stimuli and command mobility and thus they are vegan.

Bacteria poop and so do shrimp. Shrimp aren't fish. I eat bacteria and shrimp, but don't eat fish. I'm a vegan.

Let me be clear also, I'm not trying to come off as some high and mighty person who you all should aspire to as some guru or role model. I could definitely live a more sustainable lifestyle. But I do think I'm a pretty good role model for how to live vegan and reduce suffering.
but you're the same person who wants to take his/her kids to a cock fight in Puerto Rico (see San Juan boards).....
68 Posts
Joined Jul 2017
Originally posted by rjm11
but you're the same person who wants to take his/her kids to a cock fight in Puerto Rico (see San Juan boards).....
Who are you to judge my parenting or life skills? FACT: Roosters naturally fight and have ALMOST no agricultural "use" so the fighting roosters are actually living their best life compared to their cousins who get incinerated, shredded, frozen or crushed when they are a day old. While I wouldn't do it personally, I don't have a problem with people who hunt or fish and consume what they eat because they are carrying out human's ecological niche and the animals who are the victims have lived a normal life. The roosters and white tail deer live a more natural life than the animals in zoos or feed lots. Further, who are you or I to judge another culture. You sound like a real xenophobe pal.
4 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Who are you to judge my parenting or life skills? FACT: Roosters naturally fight and have ALMOST no agricultural "use" so the fighting roosters are actually living their best life compared to their cousins who get incinerated, shredded, frozen or crushed when they are a day old. While I wouldn't do it personally, I don't have a problem with people who hunt or fish and consume what they eat because they are carrying out human's ecological niche and the animals who are the victims have lived a normal life. The roosters and white tail deer live a more natural life than the animals in zoos or feed lots. Further, who are you or I to judge another culture. You sound like a real xenophobe pal.
Troller keep trollin'.