Help Me Plan My Post Cruise Trip

dickinson

Background: Next September 23 we are going on a Princess trans pacific cruise to New Zealand which ends in Sydney. My dh really wants to do it this way because the flights are so long and he is tall (can only afford economy) otherwise we would fly in both directions.

When we get off the ship in Sydney on Oct 22, 2018... what are must sees? Ideally I would want to spend no more than 7 days in Australia (yes, I realize I won't see it all). As far as I know I would want to see the Sydney Opera House. Other than that... what? A zoo or something with native animals (kangaroos) would be fun. What else are must sees in Sydney?

Flying somewhere for a couple of days might work too but where? The Great Barrier Reef would be great but we don't snorkel. Are there glass bottom boat trips?

Any suggestions would be most welcome!

Background: Next September 23 we are going on a Princess trans pacific cruise to New Zealand which ends in Sydney. My dh really wants to do it this way because the flights are so long and he is tall (can only afford economy) otherwise we would fly in both directions.

When we get off the ship in Sydney on Oct 22, 2018... what are must sees? Ideally I would want to spend no more than 7 days in Australia (yes, I realize I won't see it all). As far as I know I would want to see the Sydney Opera House. Other than that... what? A zoo or something with native animals (kangaroos) would be fun. What else are must sees in Sydney?

Flying somewhere for a couple of days might work too but where? The Great Barrier Reef would be great but we don't snorkel. Are there glass bottom boat trips?

Any suggestions would be most welcome!

On the Australia and New Zealand Cruisers sub forum (no idea why CC has two) there is a looooong thread.

Taronga Zoo is a ferry trip across the harbour and some great views.

There are glass bottom boats at the GBR, BUT keep in mind by the time you fly there and back you are going to have lost the best part of a day (a couple of hours flight, drive to and from airport, check in etc).

As far as I know I would want to see the Sydney Opera House.

as you sail in to Sydney Harbour, you will not miss seeing the Sydney Opera House.

if your ship is docking at the Overseas Passenger Terminal, you'll have a great view of the Opera House across the Harbour.

you can book a tour to see the inside of the Opera House too....it's a very interesting tour.

Thanks! That thread on things to do in Sydney certainly helps. What I would really like to know now if it is worth the money and time to fly to another location for just a couple of days. Other than the Great Barrier Reef are there any other " must see"?

Edited by dickinson

We were in Sydney after a 22 day transpacific. First, Sydney is WONDERFUL, but we had only seven days on a budget, so here is what we did:

Stayed at Hotel Challis in Potts Point. We took a taxi from Circular Quay with our luggage to the hotel and then hopped on a Big Bus Tour for the rest of the day. There was a pick up place within easy walking distance.

We spent the rest of day 1 strategically visiting the sites: the Rocks, Royal Gardens, Opera House, the Australian Museum and lots of other sites with the hop on hop off.

Day #2 we prearranged a Blue Mountains Tour for the entire day. Once again, a five minute walk to the tour van pick up place. Spectacular day. First stop was at Featherdale park to see the native Australian animals, feed the kangaroo, etc. and then on to Leura for lunch and shopping and then on to the majestic Blue Mountains. The day ended with a drop off at a ferry station and we took a lovely ferry back to Circular Quay.

The last day was spent shopping and then to Darling Harbour, the Maritime Museum and then hopping around on the ferries to Manly Beach.

Realize that when people say you "have to see Bondi Beach or Manly Beach", you will be greeted by maybe some cool winds and very chilly waters. It is like the end of April weather for us in the USA. BRR. In those three days, the weather went from rather warm (low 80's) to the 60's and quite windy.

Sydney is absolutely marvelous and we really saw a lot in three days. We took a flight to New Zealand for the next three days. We stayed in Auckland, went to Hobbiton and the Auckland Museum. Both were absolutely fabulous. The Auckland Museum is far superior to the Australian Museum. We could have stayed in both countries for many more days.

BTW- check out my website for planning info and reviews: go to the menu and find Europe and Australia- http://www.donnagawell.com

This thread might give you some ideas:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1375767

Thanks for the link. I had already found it. I do have a list of some things we would be interested in doing in Sydney. My big problem is... do we travel to the Great Barrier Reef or possibly somewhere else. It seems in most of these discussions people just do Sydney.

You can find out more about the other two days under this section:

https://donnagawell.com/europe/australia/sydney/

Day two was the trip to the Blue Mountains and day three was Darling Harbor and Manly Beach and the ferries.

I also wrote a published review on CC under the Explorer of the Seas. It is rather long with more details.

You can find out more about the other two days under this section:

https://donnagawell.com/europe/australia/sydney/

Day two was the trip to the Blue Mountains and day three was Darling Harbor and Manly Beach and the ferries.

I also wrote a published review on CC under the Explorer of the Seas. It is rather long with more details.

Thanks. I'll go look for it now.

If you don't plan to get in the water and snorkel, I don't think it's worth the time and effort to go to the GBR region. Yes, there are glass-bottom boat rides at the GBR, but first you have to get to the Outer Reef which is a 90 minute trip from either Cairns or Port Douglas. The glass-bottom boat rides last 30 minutes top and then you are on a boat or a fixed pontoon for the rest of the day with little to do if you aren't out in the water snorkeling. A trip of this sort would cost at least AUD 240 per person.

With a week in Sydney, I'd recommend spending 2-3 days in Canberra. You can easily reach Canberra by bus, train or plane if you don't want to drive. Canberra, the capital of Australia, has some excellent museums and art galleries, including the world-renowned Australia War Memorial. It's also a great place to see native animals in the wild. In the city, kangaroos can be seen on Mt. Ainslie or Red Hill. If you have a car, you can drive to Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve or Namadgi National Park and see even more kangaroos and other animals in the wild. See: www.visitcanberra.com.au

(FWIW, my suggestions are based on multiple trips to Australia plus having lived there for a number of years.)

If you don't plan to get in the water and snorkel, I don't think it's worth the time and effort to go to the GBR region. Yes, there are glass-bottom boat rides at the GBR, but first you have to get to the Outer Reef which is a 90 minute trip from either Cairns or Port Douglas. The glass-bottom boat rides last 30 minutes top and then you are on a boat or a fixed pontoon for the rest of the day with little to do if you aren't out in the water snorkeling. A trip of this sort would cost at least AUD 240 per person.

With a week in Sydney, I'd recommend spending 2-3 days in Canberra. You can easily reach Canberra by bus, train or plane if you don't want to drive. Canberra, the capital of Australia, has some excellent museums and art galleries, including the world-renowned Australia War Memorial. It's also a great place to see native animals in the wild. In the city, kangaroos can be seen on Mt. Ainslie or Red Hill. If you have a car, you can drive to Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve or Namadgi National Park and see even more kangaroos and other animals in the wild. See: www.visitcanberra.com.au

(FWIW, my suggestions are based on multiple trips to Australia plus having lived there for a number of years.)

Canberra is an excellent suggestion if you plan on hiring a car. If you head south out of Sydney you'll travel past some of our beautiful coastline and beaches. After a stop in Ulladulla for fish and chips by the harbour continue to Batemans Bay for some of Australia's best and freshest oysters. From there it's a short drive to Canberra via the historic villages of Bungendore and Braidwood. If you're still hungry the Braidwood Bakery has a large variety of award winning pies. I'd suggest allowing a full day for that drive. After enjoying everything the Nation's Capital has the return trip to Sydney is a straight run up the Hume Highway. You'll see a lot of Australia is a short space of time.

dickinson

Just realised you're on our Sth American cruise in 2019 and I think we've sailed with you before. Panama maybe. Anyway, like everyone here, we're happy to answer any and every question you have about exploring Sydney, its immediate surrounds and places further afield.

Susan

Thanks for the idea about Canberra. I'll look into it. I did a lot of reading about the GBR and decided that, as nice as it would be, it was not worth the money for us.

Wishful one....yes, we are on the SA cruise too. If you look at the bottom of my post and expand it you will see our previous cruises to see if any match up with what you have done. We did Panama on Carnival in 2004. It was a repositioning so it was full transit.

• 2 weeks later...

In Sydney, the free walking tour (we tipped $10 - $20 for the 2 of us) of The Rocks http://www.imfree.com.au/sydney/rocksat6/ was very interesting. The Sydney Bridge climb (up and over) is highly touted and expensive but we took the ferry across (cheap) and walked back (flat) for free and saw the same view. At the end of our Rocks tour we went to one of the historic bars at the Harbour View Hotel and watched the bridge climbers over our head finish their tour.

About Sydney everything is said;

Blue Mountains is really worth the visit and easy done as a day trip (even on your own without a tour)

Canberra is an exellent idea (and if you drive by yourself, maybe do a sidetrip into the mountains; Thredbo for example; and

note that the crazy Aussies drive on the wrong side of the road)

If you have enough money and really want to see the heart of Australia you might consider a trip to Uluru (Ayers Rock)

Going to the great barrier reef and not snorkel or dive is a bit like taking a shower wearing a rain coat.

Sydney at this time of year is quite lovely. Not too hot yet and not too cool.

Good suggestions above.

For Sydney you can get one of those HoHo buses. There are a few loops that will show you pretty much everything a tourist would need to see . There are one day or multi day passes available.

The opera house has , apart from the performances obviously, very interesting back stage tours. No need to book ahead, just show up.

Taronga Zoo is quite lovely and has great views. A ferry trip to Manly will give you the highlight views of the Opera house, harbour bridge, city etc for a bargain price. If you (after a cruise) STILL want to spend a few hours on a boat, there are many companies offering lunch or dinner cruises. My pick would be with a company called MAGISTIC cruises. Small, modern vessel and nice catering.

If you don't mind spending top dollars, a climb of the Sydney Harbour Bridge is absolutely spectacular. Google bridge climb Sydney.

Day trips to the blue mountains were mentioned. No REAL need to book ahead. Loads of companies are selling the trips at Circular Quay , near the cruise ship terminal and opera house. I'd go for a tour in SMALL buses over a full size coach. Many of these tours will also stop at a wildlife park for your koala, kangaroo, drop bear fix.

Canberra was mentioned. Nice for a 2 day / 1 night option, but not a super priority.

If you like the countryside, a wine tasting tour to the Hunter Valley or Mudgee could be nice. Again, opt for small bus tour.

Both, Blue Mountains and Hunter are a LONG day! Roughly 8 am to 6 pm or later!

Sitting here in Abu Dhabi, I am home sick for Sydney. ☺

Thanks, Buchalm, I'm currently working in Abu Dhabi as well.

Doing B2B cruises out of Sydney Jan/Feb. Leaving in just under 3 weeks. Planning on doing the Blue Mountains the day we finally disembark, spend all day up there, and then come back for a concert with Ben Folds in the Sydney Opera House that night.

Curious, do you think it'd be better when I disembark, to go straight to the hotel and drop off bags, (Curio by Hilton), then take a train to Katoomba and back? Or keep all our bags with us and try to get a bus tour for the day, having them keep our bags until we get back to Sydney?

...Curious, do you think it'd be better when I disembark, to go straight to the hotel and drop off bags, (Curio by Hilton), then take a train to Katoomba and back? Or keep all our bags with us and try to get a bus tour for the day, having them keep our bags until we get back to Sydney?

Ok.

The train goes hourly (20 past every hour, from memory) from Central Station. A few minutes shy of 2 hours. A nice enough ride.

Coming back from Katoomba watch out for time changes after 7 pm. Last time iwas up there a month ago, the 8 and 9 pm didn't go and I didn't get back to Sydney until midnight. :cool:

There is a HoHo bus leaving from 100 m outside Katoomba station that shows you pretty much everything there is to see, but it is NOT as frequent as in Sydney. Hourly at best, I believe.

The train station before Katoomba is Leura. I find that village a lot nicer than Katoomba. It's basically a main street with small shops and restaurants. Much more civilised then the a bit faded glory if K-town. Silks Brasserie in Leura is fabulous.

(Taxi between Leura and Katoomba, if you want lunch there)

I think in your case (as you want to go pretty much straight off the boat) you should pre book a bus tour. Email your chosen company and let them know that you will bring luggage. It is quite likely that they can drop you off reasonably close to your hotel on the way home.

If you were to leave the mountains trip for the next day, you could just walk off the ship and shop around at the kiosks and agents at Circular Quay for a tour the next day.