Nieuw Amsterdam Cruise Journal - Our First HAL Cruise!

AryMay

I have (finally) finished all of the blog posts detailing our first HAL cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam from the week of October 28th.

This cruise had a complete itinerary change once the hurricanes came through and destroyed our original ports. In fact, the ports were changed more than once...and to avoid Tropical Storm Philippe when we departed Port Everglades, we even lost one of the replacement ports!!

Besides the day-to-day journals with lots of photos, I have also scanned and included all of the "When & Where" daily newsletters and the dinner menus from the main dining room.

I gain so much information from Cruise Critic so hopefully my blog might be of help to someone else.

Here is the link to the beginning of the review. My Souvenir Memories---Our Cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam

You can go from day to day on the review or just use the links in the blog archive in the side bar on the right to see specific posts. :) (There are posts from our other travels too if you are interested!)

Thanks for all of the kind words! The blog is really just my personal diary, but I love that others care enough to read as well! :)

I made a conscientious effort to update my blog notes each evening instead of "hoping" that I would remember what we did once we got home. (Which I have often done in the past with not-so-great results.) My photos will usually jog my memory to some extent, but often I forget the smaller details if I try and remember things later.

With a 23-day cruise coming up in April I am determined to keep up with the blog on a DAILY basis...but we will see. There are going to be a lot of port days in a row and I know how tiring that can be! :rolleyes:

Thanks for all of the kind words! The blog is really just my personal diary, but I love that others care enough to read as well! :)

I made a conscientious effort to update my blog notes each evening instead of "hoping" that I would remember what we did once we got home. (Which I have often done in the past with not-so-great results.) My photos will usually jog my memory to some extent, but often I forget the smaller details if I try and remember things later.

With a 23-day cruise coming up in April I am determined to keep up with the blog on a DAILY basis...but we will see. There are going to be a lot of port days in a row and I know how tiring that can be! :rolleyes:

Nice blog, thanks for sharing!

Looking forward to the NA in March :)

Karen

Sorry to be the lone voice of dissent but..

The shade/shaming with with the pictures of the Carnival ship was more than a bit disingenuous.We get it.They ruined your day.

Unfortunately,because of the hurricanes,and the damage they did,this will not be the first or last time HAL cruisers get shut out.Complain?yes.But do passive agggresive things like post pictures of the other ship?real mature[/end rant]

The shade/shaming with with the pictures of the Carnival ship was more than a bit disingenuous.We get it.They ruined your day.

Unfortunately,because of the hurricanes,and the damage they did,this will not be the first or last time HAL cruisers get shut out.Complain?yes.But do passive agggresive things like post pictures of the other ship?real mature[/end rant]

I didn’t get shade/shaming from the blog, but pics of an empty aft deck for the OP to enjoy! Pictures of Carnival passengers lined up were meant as a good reference to me...

Seems like they made the best of the unfortunate circumstances :)

Edited by KrissyCruises

I wish to point out that the word "but" negates everything that precedes it. This means that your apology is disingenuous as it is your intention to be a voice of dissent.

Furthermore, your comment "real mature" comes across as sarcastic. Sarcasm is passive aggressive behavior, and it is ironic that you use passive aggressive behavior when describing what you incorrectly felt as passive aggressive behavior.

Wonderful blog post. I was so happy to see that the NA still has the adjustable coffee tables in its cabins. These make wonderful dining tables on the balcony - especially breakfast.

And yes, there are some staff/crew that live on HMC. They are there to maintain the place and look after the horses.

Just posted on YouTube...a video of our week long cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam. I'm a novice at video editing, but I had fun picking music and putting it all together. I've found our kids don't care to sit and look at still photos, but will humor me and watch a video of our travels.

I just got a new iphone 8+ so am looking forward to using its video capabilities on our next cruise!

Here is a link to the video: