If you had to pick three grossest foods...

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:48 PM.
Arizona (after escaping from Wisconsin)
763 Posts
Joined Oct 2004
Of all the foods or extras served on a cruise, are there things that gross you out? Mine would be:

Mushrooms: C'mon, they're fungus. I'm a fun guy but I don't eat fungi. It takes me a long time to pick the mushrooms out of food or off of pizza.

Tomatoes: I love tomato sauce, ketchup, etc., but a raw tomato looks like it's full of snot. And chunks of tomatoes in spaghetti or chili look like blood clots.

Eggs (any style). First of all, think about where eggs come from. And the yellow, runny yolk also looks like snot (I sense a theme here). Plus, they taste nasty. I'll never understand how anyone can eat an egg without vomiting it right up. Don't get me started on eggs benedict.

There's my list (and trust me, I have a lot more than three)...
Sarasota Florida
1,159 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Originally posted by schmoopie17
Of all the foods or extras served on a cruise, are there things that gross you out? Mine would be:

Mushrooms: C'mon, they're fungus. I'm a fun guy but I don't eat fungi. It takes me a long time to pick the mushrooms out of food or off of pizza.

Tomatoes: I love tomato sauce, ketchup, etc., but a raw tomato looks like it's full of snot. And chunks of tomatoes in spaghetti or chili look like blood clots.

Eggs (any style). First of all, think about where eggs come from. And the yellow, runny yolk also looks like snot (I sense a theme here). Plus, they taste nasty. I'll never understand how anyone can eat an egg without vomiting it right up. Don't get me started on eggs benedict.

There's my list (and trust me, I have a lot more than three)...
The only thing I ever couldn't eat was crickets, which are quite commonly eaten in many Asian countries.
Since they don't serve them on cruise ships, I have to say there is absolutely nothing I find gross or inedible....

And mushrooms? They haven't invented a way to prepare mushrooms that I don't absolutely LOVE.

You remind me of my biz partner... I always kid him that some people talk about the 4 food groups they eat... with him, it's the 4 foods.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
_______
/ / / / / /
Tallahassee, FL
4,336 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Veal -- I tried it on the last cruise and it made me sick. Not sure whether it was just cooked incorrectly or I don't like it.

Mushrooms -- I also hate mushrooms! There are a few things I'd like to try, but don't want to fuss with picking mushrooms out.

Unsweet tea -- Yuck.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Magic -- November 2017 (Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Costa Maya)
Carnival Legend -- July 2015 (Alaska: Tracy Arm, Ketchikan, Skagway, Juneau, and Victoria, BC)
Carnival Freedom -- December 2014 (Key West, Grand Cayman, Cozumel)
Carnival Freedom -- January 2014 (Grand Turk, San Juan, St. Maarten, St. Thomas)
Carnival Liberty -- February 2013 (HMC, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk)
Carnival Freedom -- January 2012 (Key West, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios)
Carnival Inspiration -- February 2011 (Cozumel & Grand Cayman)
Carnival Dream -- April 2010 (Cozumel, Costa Maya, Belize, & Roatan)
Carnival Celebration -- March 2008 (Freeport & Nassau)
New Cumberland,PA, USA
29,969 Posts
Joined May 2000
geez, picky eaters here. For us, about the only thing we do not like are certain organ meats such as sweetbreads. Regarding one of the other posts we have eaten crickets and they were kind of tasteless with a nice crunch.

Hank
Switzerland
2,224 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
I'm with the OP on the mushroom and tomato thing, gross.
Anything that comes from the sea in a shell, gross.

Everything else, no problem at all. (including Haggis, black pudding, snails, horse, snake, kangaroo, croc, sweetbreads, liver, kidney, heart)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Coming up:
Azura - October 2017
Sapphire Princess - May 2018

180 days completed and counting
I don't have any Toblerones but have got a box of KitKats.

763 Posts
Joined Oct 2004
Originally posted by SwissDave
Anything that comes from the sea in a shell, gross.
How could I forget oysters???? I'd like to meet the first guy to ever eat an oyster. He probably said,, "Oh look at that puddle of slime inside that shell. That sure looks tasty..."
307 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Mushrooms, lamb/veal, escargot/oysters/scallops/calimari, cottage cheese, duck, eggplant, sushi, and olives.

YUCK.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Destiny-Western Caribbean-February 11

Carnival Destiny-Southern Caribbean-May 08-CANCELLED :-(
Carnival Fascination-Western Caribbean-December 07
Carnival Sensation-Eastern Caribbean-December 98
Carnival Imagination-Western Caribbean-December 97
Central Ohio
16,195 Posts
Joined May 2003
Let's see.....three things....that would be.....(no, I like that)......maybe (nah, that's good too).

Sorry can't come up with one thing

Some of the best anywhere food that I've had on a cruise ship includes beef liver and lamb chops.

Charlie
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
USASA - We were never there. That's our story and we're sticking to it.
Tallahassee , FL
14,992 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
mashed sweet potatoes/carrots;

baked alaska (DW loves it though)

sweet tea (yuck)

I love mushrooms and tomatoes.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Inspiration, January 2006
Carnival Sensation, February 2007
Carnival
Carnival Legend, May 2009
Carnival Dream, January 2010
Carnival Dream, May 2010
Carnival Dream, June 2011
Carnival Liberty April 2012
Carnival Breeze, November 2012
Carnival Valor,January, 2016
Carnival,Vista,January,2017
RCCL, Oasis of the Seas,January 2018
Cornwall, England
44 Posts
Joined Apr 2007
Oh thats easy...............Aubergines (egg plant), Okra (Bindi / Ladys Fingers) and broad beans. Awful slimey texture things. Makes me shudder just thinking about them.
Michigan
7,870 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
I am not a picky eater, but DH is, although he is getting MUCH better.
I don't like the lobster bisque served on RCCL. It tasted like salty tomato water.
I won't eat anything with raw onions in it, and even cooked ones make me a little squeamish (although I love the onion flavor, and French onion soup, I know weird right?).
Finally, the NY Strip on RCCL was like eating shoe rubber. NOT Good, especially after having eaten in Chops the night before.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

OK
378 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
I love snotty, dark yellow runny eggs from our chickens because they scratch in the cow manure all day and pick the pieces of grain out of it.
I hate avacadoes , slimy like baby excrement, cooked spinach, and most olives except the fresh ones stuffed in Italy. I'd be glad to eat them in front of the first poster , forgot his handle.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2/14/2015 Dailey and Vincent Water Fest on Liberty of the Seas.
Albuquerque, NM
7,634 Posts
Joined May 2003
Okay, three things I don't eat:

--Terrine dishes of any kind. Jelled nastiness!

--Anything with organs -- kidneys, brains...,

--Beef Willington -- British nightmare on Baker Street!

Of course I do like buttermilk and cottage cheese, so everyone has their Haggis!

Kel
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Future Cruises: Celebrity Equinox (10/2018), RCL's Empress of the Seas (10/2018), RCL's Harmony of the Seas (10/2018), Adventure of the Seas (11/2018), HAL's Eurodam (12/2018), Cunard Victoria (WC, 02/2019), and the Cunard Queen Mary 2 (TA, 4/2019)
----------------
Past Cruises:
Celebrity -- Horizon (‘93), Galaxy (‘97), Zenith (‘98), Constellation (‘02), Century (‘02), Millennium (‘03), Summit (‘04), Mercury (‘05), Galaxy (‘05), Century (‘06), Millennium (‘06) , Constellation (‘08), Constellation (‘08), Solstice (‘09), Solstice (‘10), Eclipse (‘11), Summit (‘11), Millennium (‘11), Silhouette ('12), Silhouette ('12), Silhouette ('13), Infinity ('13), Infinity ('13), Century ('13), Century ('14), Eclipse ('14), Reflection ('15), Equinox ('15), and the Equinox ('17) (29 cruises)
Holland America -- Veendam (‘03), Volendam (‘04), Zuiderdam (‘05), Westerdam (‘06), Maasdam (‘07), Maasdam (‘07), Westerdam (‘08), Maasdam (‘09), Nieuw Amsterdam (‘11), and the Westerdam ('16) (10 cruises)
Royal Caribbean -- Rhapsody of the Seas (‘01), Voyager of the Seas (‘02), Splendor of the Seas (‘02), Grandeur of the Seas (‘04), Vision of the Seas (‘04), Radiance of the Seas (‘09), Allure of the Seas ('12), Navigator of the Seas ('14), and the Anthem of the Seas ('15) (9 cruises)
NCL -- Starward (‘78), Norwegian Dream (‘95), Norweigan Sea (‘01), NCL Jewel ('15), NCL Jade ('16), Getaway ('17), Escape ('17), Pearl ('17), and the Pearl ('17) (9 cruises)
Princess -- Star Princess (‘03), Caribbean Princess (‘05), and the Golden Princess ('13) (3 cruises)
Azamara -- Journey (‘07) Oceania -- Regatta (‘09) Cunard -- Queen Mary 2 (‘10), and Queen Mary 2 ('13) MSC -- Seaside YC ('18)
Sitmar -- Fairsea (‘82)

(552 days total)
763 Posts
Joined Oct 2004
Originally posted by Passin Thru
most olives except the fresh ones stuffed in Italy. I'd be glad to eat them in front of the first poster , forgot his handle.
You forgot my handle? Must not be a Seinfeld fan...

You're right, olives are also nasty. Like eating an eyeball. (Grapes, too...even though they taste good, biting into one is probably the exact same sensation as biting into an eyeball.) On the old show "Fear factor" they used to eat cow eyeballs and the eyeball fluid would come gushing out. That pretty much sums up grapes for me.
Stone Mountain GA
9,922 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Sounds like a texture thing, not a taste thing....

What I have not liked on Carnival is the Avacado Soup, the second time I had the pumpkin soup(it was pretty bad) and that Baked Alaska they serve on Carnival is a terrible excuse for Baked Alaska. Other than that, I have enjoyed everything I have tried on Carnival.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Cruises
Cunard-Queen Mary 1961 NY to Cherbourg
Cunard-Queen Elizabeth 1963 Cherbourg to NY
MWA- Heritage 8/05, 8/06
Carnival- Sensation-10/08
Carnival- Legend 01/10, 9/12, 9/16
Carnival- Fascination 12/10,11/11,10/13,11/14, 9/15
Carnival-Elation 1/14, 1/16, 11/17

I will try one thing today,
that I have never done before,
and when I have finished something new,
I'll go try one thing more.
aem

"Hurray for ships!.....Let us keep them alive as a token of love,to make the last romantics happy. Let us use them to cure the depressed. Let us prescribe sea journeys..." Tiziano Terzani

America-It doesn't matter what ship our ancestors came here on, we're all in the same boat now.

Indianapolis, IN
276 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
It's pretty easy for me to list my food dislikes. I would say, any type of insects and that's about it. There's a few foods that I'm not a big fan of, but if I'm hungry enough or if I put enough hot sauce on it I can eat it. I come from a family tree that was poor and raised in the south in the 30's, 40's and 50's. So there's not many parts of chickens, cows or pigs that they didn't eat. Add to that the fact that all of the women if the family were good cooks and we all loved to eat. I'll always remember my mother's favorite phrase when she would see me turn my nose up at some new dish she was cooking. She would always say, "try it, you might like it". And she was right.