New Internet Packages Available

karin037

As I said... the "perk" (promo) has no cash value (read the T&Cs)...... it is still at the discretion of the Internet Manager.

about 3 bullets from the bottom of the Terms & Condition:

https://www.ncl.com/termsandconditions/promotions

I see. Well hopefully the internet manager will do this. If not we can manage [emoji5]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hey I want to be able to watch shows from my DVR as well as Netflix or Amazon Prime when on my Transatlantic cruise. One major issue I had last year was the poor Internet on the Epic. Now I can add NCL to my list for a 2019 Cruise. After having DCL Voom and going back to Dialup on the Epic we realized it was something we really needed to add to our must have list.

Info on the Internet is here

http://investors.geemedia.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=1017265

http://www.geemedia.com/latest/news/global-eagle-and-norwegian-cruise-line-holdings-enter-strategic-partnership-agreement

http://www.geemedia.com/#

I see. Well hopefully the internet manager will do this. If not we can manage [emoji5]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I Up graded my 250 minute internet package perk VALUED at $125 when on the epic last month. The internet guy WILL upgrade you to unlimited and just charge you the difference in price. No worries enjoy. It was so nice not to worry about minutes ticking away.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I Up graded my 250 minute internet package perk VALUED at $125 when on the epic last month. The internet guy WILL upgrade you to unlimited and just charge you the difference in price. No worries enjoy. It was so nice not to worry about minutes ticking away.

What did you pay for the upgrade?

$88 I think but it might be different since the package prices changed. Just make sure you upgrade before you start using the one you have because I think if you been using it and then want to upgrade they won’t let you but not sure if that’s still true.

But that was last month before the fleet-wide roll-out. It would be good to hear from someone who did it this week, but I guess they are enjoying their cruise too much!

Again, I said some internet managers will do it but others will not ..... the package has NO value at all. The internet manager may use the current rate to base the "upgrade" rate but don't mistake that the perk \ promo is VALUED. Is it good customer service to do this? Of course it is but some follow the T&Cs to remain consistent and those who allow the upgrade actually make it hard for those following the company policy.

Unless there's been a very recent change, again, the option to upgrade has been digitized and in writing, see below ... and confirmed by others. I don't see the I.T. vendor backing out & discontinuing it.

Would like to see benchmark results with the new options. Will checkout the Gem's next month.

d26b651059f5a35ecf1c7f892ce97b30.jpg

Sent via dual sim KIW-L24 Honor 5X using Tapatalk

There was a change this week, which is why this thread exists. No one has yet confirmed that the upgrade from the perk is still available.

For my cruise which is a 15 day TA I was quoted $105 for the 250 minutes if purchased online. As mentioned, in a previous cruise I was allowed to upgrade my 250 min to unlimited for the difference. Whether or not I can do this remains to be seen as you suggest. My guess is since the unlimited Premium is $287.50 more NCL would absolutely agree to take my money!

But here is my question regarding the 250 anytime internet - for $105 if purchased online. I wonder if it is comparable to the unlimited wifi purchased online for $315 for my cruise or the premium wifi purchased online for $382.50 for my cruise. Regardless since I won't want to stream it seems to me I should just purchase online 2 $105 packages online! 500 minutes will be plenty and would save me $105 by not upgrading to the unlimited wifi package (if allowed).

Has anyone considered that option?

Here's some answers to questions based on my experience with unlimited Internet on other cruise lines and my technical knowledge of how browsers and apps work. I have not used unlimited Internet on NCL yet so these answers might not be 100% right, but I am reasonably confident in them based on past experiences elsewhere.

question is whether there is the bandwidth to dynamically handle the extra loads & demands [of streaming], etc. at sea.

On the newer RCL ships I used their Voom streaming unlimited Internet and was about to get 6-8Mbps download during sea days in the middle of the Caribbean. I was pleasantly surprised.

I'm not entirely sure how NCL is providing its high-speed Internet. A few key points for others who are interested:

1. The more people using the Internet, the slower it goes. This means that sea days will see more usage and therefore slower speed than port days, and times around breakfast and dinner (when people might stop to check social media) are more apt to be slower than at 4am.

2. The speed depends on a lot of technical factors. It sounds like they are upgrading their satellite technology which can help. But it also sounds like some of their speed increases comes from utilizing connections that require being either at or near or port, or at least at or near a semi-populated shore that helps in connecting to the Internet. If this is indeed the case then what you'll see is that the Internet is fastest when you're in port (and probably least likely to use it, as you'll be out doing shore excursions or shopping or maybe even using free in-port wifi at a restaurant) and slowest when you're in the middle of nowhere like the middle of a transatlantic (when you are more likely to want to use it because you can't be anywhere else but on the boat and there is more downtime). I'll try some speedtests myself, but won't be on a NCL boat again until September.

Is unlimited per person or per cabin?

If it's like other cruise lines it's "per device", which means if you have two people in the room you can share the unlimited plan, but only one of you can be connected to the Internet at a time. If Person #1 is connected they will have to use the option to disconnect before Person #2 can connect, or else it might be (as it was on RCL) that when Person #2 connects it automatically disconnects Person #1.

Also, do the socialmedia apps work with this or does it only work through a browser.

I've not used unlimited on NCL but most likely the mobile apps for, say, Facebook will work. Technically speaking it would make sense, and that's how it worked on Carnival when I had a social media package. It's possible it might not work for some apps for technical reasons but I imagine for "major" ones like Facebook, Instagram, etc., it'll work.

I saw that, but I wonder what the “etc.” in the list of socialmedia sites include.

I'm just guessing here, but I bet this is one of those things that three computer geeks in a building somewhere know definitely and no one else, so that getting The List will be impossible. It may also change slightly over time. You'll probably have better luck asking about specific sites and seeing if someone online with the package can test them.

I hope someone tries out the new Social Media soon because if I can post to Tapatalk with pictures I'll get that for the Bliss transatlantic.

Based on a purely technical understand on how I imagine Tapatalk must actually work, I think at best it'd be on a 'message board per message board' basis. For Tapatalk to work, under the hood it has to be able to access the web site that hosts the forum you're posting on. There's also a chance it has to connect Somewhere Else that is specific to Tapatalk for arcane technical reasons, which may mean that even though you can connect to the forum's web site directly you can't post it through the Tapatalk app. This is something you'd really want to ask someone on a ship with the package to check.

Which package would I need for FaceTime please?

Premium. It's video transfer, so it'll count as streaming.

I'm trying to decide what package I need in order to video chat with my daughter. Would I be able to use Facebook video chat if I just got the social media package?

I've not tried it so I can't be 100% sure but I am 99.875% sure that you would need unlimited premium wifi for that. It's video streaming, basically, even though it's through the Facebook app, and I imagine they will block the video chart part of Facebook (which is technically not that hard for them to do with their computer people) for the social media package.

For my cruise which is a 15 day TA I was quoted $105 for the 250 minutes if purchased online. As mentioned, in a previous cruise I was allowed to upgrade my 250 min to unlimited for the difference. Whether or not I can do this remains to be seen as you suggest. My guess is since the unlimited Premium is $287.50 more NCL would absolutely agree to take my money!

But here is my question regarding the 250 anytime internet - for $105 if purchased online. I wonder if it is comparable to the unlimited wifi purchased online for $315 for my cruise or the premium wifi purchased online for $382.50 for my cruise. Regardless since I won't want to stream it seems to me I should just purchase online 2 $105 packages online! 500 minutes will be plenty and would save me $105 by not upgrading to the unlimited wifi package (if allowed).

Has anyone considered that option?

Off topic, but did you ever find that spreadsheet you were looking for? I provided a couple of links for you in the thread you started and was just wondering.

Off topic, but did you ever find that spreadsheet you were looking for? I provided a couple of links for you in the thread you started and was just wondering.

The drink thread? Yes! I compiled a list and have it saved to my notes in my phone for quick reference! Can’t wait to check them off! Thanks!

Yes thank you so much I signed up for a lot of things!

I'm sailing this Sunday on the Breakaway, I'll post any information I find out.
That would be great, thank you....... if you could ask the Internet Manager:

"The NCL Free at Sea T&Cs state that the Free WiFi Package of 100 Minutes has no cash value..... will NCL across the fleet, 100% of the time, allow a passenger to upgrade from the promo package to the unlimited package by paying the difference? and if yes, how do you determine the difference if the promo package has no cash value as stated in the T&Cs?"

My experience has been that it has been at the discretion of the Internet Manager... but some posters on here feel it is an absolute guarantee....... which is why my question is so specific

Sent from my SM-T820 using Forums mobile app

That would be great, thank you....... if you could ask the Internet Manager:

"The NCL Free at Sea T&Cs state that the Free WiFi Package of 100 Minutes has no cash value..... will NCL across the fleet, 100% of the time, allow a passenger to upgrade from the promo package to the unlimited package by paying the difference? and if yes, how do you determine the difference if the promo package has no cash value as stated in the T&Cs?"

My experience has been that it has been at the discretion of the Internet Manager... but some posters on here feel it is an absolute guarantee....... which is why my question is so specific

Sent from my SM-T820 using Forums mobile app

Got it. I'll see what I can find out.

Just onboard Escape now, it definitely is advertised that upgrade to internet perk is available. The internet cafe wasn't open before lunch so I haven't confirmed the price yet.bb29126a061d563ef96ebac3f5d0636a.jpgf831937248a6faa2dcb6cef79fc15898.jpg
Upgraded to unlimited premium for $120, basic unlimited upgrade was $90.206fd25700b4856c5fed82faf64d492e.jpg