[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:25 AM.
Albany, NY
5,470 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Beer and Pork Knuckles!

If you are talking about souvenirs to bring home... Sorry, can't help much there as we are useless in the shopping department.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
JP and Chris

Last: Silver Explorer - Along the Humboldt Current, Guayaquil to Valparaíso - Oct 2017 (review)

Future bookings - come join us!
Silver Wind - #2828, Copenhagen to Tower Bridge - Sept 2018
Silver Cloud Expedition - #1918, Reykjavik to Reykjavik - August 2019
Silver Cloud Expedition - #1001, Ushuaia RT with South Georgia - January 2020

Past: All trip pictures are now in my SmugMug galleries, HERE
Ganges Voyager II (Uniworld) - India's Golden Triangle & the Sacred Ganges - Feb 2017 (review)
River Beatrice (Uniworld) - Danube - April 2016
(photo review)
SS Catherine (Uniworld) - Burgundy and Provence - March 2015 (review)
Silver Cloud - Eastern Med - Istanbul to Athens - October 2014 (photo review)
Silver Cloud - North Atlantic - Tower Bridge to Reykjavik - August 2014 - (photo review)
SS Antoinette (Uniworld) - Castles on the Rhine - Basel to Amsterdam - April 2014 (photo review)
Silver Explorer - Central America - Colon to Puerto Caldera - October 2013 (photo review)
MS Sun Boat III - Nile River - November 2012
Silver Wind - Athens to Rome - June 2012 (report)

Celebrity Xpedition - Galapagos - November 2011
Silver Explorer - Longyearbyen to Tromso - August 2011 (report)
Silver Wind - Cape Town to Cape Town - Feb 2011
Silver Cloud - London to Nice - September 2010
Silver Wind - Black Sea - June 2010
Silversea PAII - Antarctica - Dec 09
South Carolina
625 Posts
Joined Jan 2018
The Czech Republic has some very nice wines. I would recommend Pálava sladká.
Also, there is a wonderful restaurant called Cafe Imperial at Na Porici 1072/15.
One if the best meals I’ve ever had: Veal cheeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Boston MA
7,849 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
If you like to buy jewelry, they say that Prague is a place to buy garnets. We certainly saw a lot of them in the hotel gift shop and in jewelry store windows as we wandered the streets (be sure to shop in a store with the VAT refund sign (I forget what is is called) in the window and get the needed paperwork for a VAT refund).

We also bought a few very small pieces of white on blue china.

BUT--and artists take note --, imho, our best find was Koh-i-noor Triograph drawing pencils and I wish I had bought more!!. Koh-i-noor is a Czech brand of pencils and we found them (and other Koh-i-nor drawing supplies) in a eponymous little shop at [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]Týn 1049/3 ( a few doors up from The Dubliner Pub). I love the pencils and have tried to buy more of them at home but can only find a few weights. [/color]
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Caminante no hay camino, se hace camino al andar." Antonio Machado
Expand for links to links to photos and more.
The high value put upon every minute of time, the idea of hurry-hurry as the most important objective of living, is unquestionably the most dangerous enemy of joy Herman Hesse

Click on the links below for photos

AT SEA: 1983/NCL Caribbean ~ 1985/Premier DisneyWorld+Cruise ~ 1997/NCL Alaska ~ 2000/Renaissance Istanbul to Athens ~ 2001/Celebrity Horizon Southern Caribbean ~ 200?/NCL Boston to Bermuda ~ 2005/Celebrity Zenith Central America/Western Caribbean ~ 2006/RCCL L.A. to Ensenada ~2007/Celebrity Century Scandinavia & Baltic Capitals ~2009/Celebrity Infinity South America around the Horn ~ 2016/Viking Sea Midnight Sun ~ 2016/Viking Sea NYE on the Med

RIVER DAYS: 2010/Viking River Cruises "China's Cultural Delights" ~ 2013/Viking "Footsteps of the Cossacks" ~ 2015/Viking "Passage to Eastern Europe"

Save
New Zealand
112 Posts
Joined Apr 2016
Yes, the food! A couple of delicious cheap authentic restaurants tucked away at the back of the Old Town Square down alley ways. From memory, to the right of the lovely blue building directly across from the Astronomical Clock. The owners will harass you to go in which is annoying but worthwhile! Try dumplings and the beef dishes. Sauces to die for. And as the above poster said, Garnets. I got a beauty, from the Vtlava no less. We queued for a long time at the airport to get our VAT back. No sure if I'd bother again. I also got a small replica of the Astronomical Clock. Broke as soon as I got home but still lovely to look at.
Ontario, Canada
2,841 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
Garnets are definitely a specialty in Prague. We actually found a small shop at the end of Wenceslas Square that had Christmas ornaments. They took metal frames - like the kind that are used for sun catchers. They mix shards of garnets with epoxy and put them in these frames. Voila - hanging ornaments!! And, quite reasonably priced.

We bought a small drawing from an artist by the Charles Bridge. Lots of artists on the bridge... so, go early if you can. Lots of tourists as well.

For food - we went to the Kolkovna - a few blocks from the Old Town Square. Quite busy, so you may need a reservation. But - no visit to Prague is complete with a glass (or two) of Pilsner Urquell. Love Czech beer!!

Fran