Do you do this?

WWbytheSEA

My wife and I have been on several private tours in other parts of the Caribbean. Do you ask your tour guide(s) to join you when you stop for lunch or drinks? In the 3 private tours, I have had only 1 time did one actually join us. This time I am with another couple so i’m thinking I won’t be extending the invite for our guides to join us. What is your experience with this?

We usually offer for the guide to join us for lunch, but most of the time they have declined. Once in awhile a guide will surprise us and join us. I really think they prefer to relax and do their own thing while we eat.

Same situation here.i ask .they generally refuse.but I eat in very few ports unless it's something exotic.

My wife and I have been on several private tours in other parts of the Caribbean. Do you ask your tour guide(s) to join you when you stop for lunch or drinks? In the 3 private tours, I have had only 1 time did one actually join us. This time I am with another couple so i’m thinking I won’t be extending the invite for our guides to join us. What is your experience with this?

Both in Cuba and St. Martin we stopped for lunch, and told our tour guide we wanted them to join us as we wanted to chat with them for more information, and they both joined us. We would always invite them.

We were just in Havana and stopped for lunch. Our great driver and guide introduced us to to the owner and then said go enjoy your lunch " We are going to go do our own thing" Effectively keeping us from asking for them to join us. We had an absolutely wonderful guide and driver, but I do think sometimes they want to relax while we are eating

• 2 weeks later...

We have asked our guides in Mexico & in St. Lucia and both times they picked a local place & joined us. We enjoyed the conversation & seeing their towns through their eyes.

I can understand their refusals if there is a larger group in the tour or they need some down time.I just like to ask & no harm if they say no.