LIVE From the Emerald - Seattle-Vancouver - Sept 23, 2018

CanadianBurger

Called room service about the mini bar. Management decided that on the one-day cruises people get 4 liquor and 4 beer. I was able to trade 2 of the beer for 2 liquor. Still be tough to drink it all tonight... [emoji484][emoji483]

Sent from my iPhone XS Max using Forums

We were told the same thing!

Our mini bar hadn't been set up when we got to the room (we must have been right behind you as we were about 12th to board!) so I called and asked for all the alcohol to be switched out to beer. They delivered it while we were at lunch and we only got 8 beers. I called and was told the same thing about limiting it on the one night cruises.....hmmmm! They also didn't leave me a bottle opener but my steward came to the rescue and gave me his!

We had a blast on this one night cruise - they can be hit or miss in terms of activities, entertainment, etc but this one was great for all aspects (except the painfully slow food service at lunch - literally waited 45 minutes for our food to come!)

We had a blast on this one night cruise - they can be hit or miss in terms of activities, entertainment, etc but this one was great for all aspects (except the painfully slow food service at lunch - literally waited 45 minutes for our food to come!)

Agreed. Had a great time, and yes, the MDR service was painfully slow both at lunch and dinner.

We were told the same thing!

Our mini bar hadn't been set up when we got to the room (we must have been right behind you as we were about 12th to board!) so I called and asked for all the alcohol to be switched out to beer. They delivered it while we were at lunch and we only got 8 beers. I called and was told the same thing about limiting it on the one night cruises.....hmmmm!

Any idea if this will become a new corporate policy?

Also, would you still be able to trade the bar setup for a bottle of wine?

Well I'm disappointed that I found your thread only after your cruise is over but I thank you for the sneak peek at the Emerald. She's my next cruise destination this coming January and I can't wait.

I'm not sure I could handle a 1-day cruise. It just seems cruel. :)

I almost forgot to mention the new internet packages...

9970c186e7c11f5cd7f352ece1799f55.jpg

2de567edbe6cd39e808b5b388a0bae08.jpg

ad85c8fc571870b59869f16db43db521.jpg

455ed79c38973f8185bffc4df67caf01.jpg

Sent from my iPhone XS Max using Forums.

Any idea if the Loyalty plans are the equivalent speed/quality of the Premium plan? Wondering as we may have a need to stream video/audio once during an upcoming cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any idea if the Loyalty plans are the equivalent speed/quality of the Premium plan? Wondering as we may have a need to stream video/audio once during an upcoming cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I doubt it. It wasn’t what I would call blazing fast. Slower than what I experienced on the CB last December.

I wanted to catch the comedy act in Club Fusion after dinner, but it was so packed there was only standing room at the back, so I gave up. Met fellow CCer lstone for a drink at Crooners. That's about it for tonight; I'm still on eastern time, so I'm headed to bed.

Back home and finally a chance to read this - thanks for the mention.

I noticed at Crooners that the drink menus still had the Alaska features at the front but in talking to one of the bartenders found out it was the last night. He even showed me the new inserts that they'd be putting in the menus the next day. Had myself a Frozen Grizzly Bear before the go into hibernation for the winter which I had seen but never ordered during our Alaska cruise in July.

I almost forgot to mention the new internet packages...

The loyalty plan, both the 150 included minutes and the options for additional minutes at a discount is the standard plan for 1-7 day cruises. The social,surf and premium options are the new high-speed options and the regular by-the-day pricing is shown.

On longer cruises those new high-speed options would be at a discount if purchased for the entire cruise. And they would have an even bigger discount if purchased pre-cruise.

Unknown is what the new high-speed options would cost if upgrading from the loyalty minutes.

I saw from the standby list you caught the earlier YVR-ORD flight. Glad you made it home. My flight was half an hour late.

Yep. Despite Princess saying that an 11:08 departure is way too early, getting there for it was no problem. Walked off as soon as permitted (for these one-night cruises, the default seems to be to assign you to a walk-off group based on your cabin (mine was 9:15) but it seems to be merely a suggestion (just like boarding times) and there was no enforcement). So off at 7:45, at airport via Canada Line Skytrain at 8:45 and through Security and Customs and Immigration by 9:15 (long regular security lines, about 10 minutes in the Nexus/Global Entry security line - if you have Global Entry, while the Global Entry card does nothing for you with US CBP at the airport, it does get you in that Nexus/Global Entry security line at Canadian airports so carry the card). So then almost two hours to wait.

Now before anyone panics and says I was taking too much of a risk, I'm retired from an airline and fly airline space available. If I didn't make it to the airport in time, I would merely change my flight listing to the next one. With such a system, there is no reason not to go for the earliest flight that seems feasible.

I did see that your flight was already posted for a delay. I hope that didn't mess up your connection.

Hello everyone!

It's been 9 months since my last cruise and LIVE From... so it was time!

I just arrived in Seattle tonight, and am crashing at an airport hotel. I'll be taking the Link Rail downtown tomorrow morning, and then an Uber to the port.

Stay tuned for tomorrow's pics!

Steve.

Can hardly wait as my cruise on Emerald is in November. Please give us a review of everything when you have a chance. Especially the food. Thank you very much!

Thanks for your review and pics! One question -- How was the pizza? (I'll be on the Emerald in January and was just wondering what to expect.)

I actually meant to mention that I was quite happy with the pizza. It seemed to be back to the “old” Princess pizza, better than on the CB last December.

Something odd: the Trident grill guy said he was no longer allowed to toast my bun on the grill. He said he would be happy to do it, but there were customer complaints, which perplexed me. Customer complaints about toasted buns?

I actually meant to mention that I was quite happy with the pizza. It seemed to be back to the “old” Princess pizza, better than on the CB last December.

Something odd: the Trident grill guy said he was no longer allowed to toast my bun on the grill. He said he would be happy to do it, but there were customer complaints, which perplexed me. Customer complaints about toasted buns?

Probably because of people who are gluten intolerant. Toasting a bun that contains gluten would contaminate the grill with possibly dire results for those who can't tolerate gluten.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

May I ask a question about the Crab restaurant. Will it be worth it for me to eat there one night?

I will have to leave that to someone else to answer, as I’m not a seafood person. I believe the crab shack is only offered some nights, but I could be wrong. Check the Patters from the LIVE on one of my 7 or 10 day cruises.

• 7 months later...