Is the opera show on Seaside cancelled?

C-sea

One of the recent review threads said they talked to the cruise director and all the opera shows were cancelled due to negative reviews from Americans. Count me in as one of the disappointed Americans who *does* like opera and classical music, I was looking forward to a different kind of entertainment on the ship!

I really wish they would have performed even one opera show on a sea day afternoon or something. To me, the operas are part of what makes MSC really special. It is sad that they have discontinued them all together.

When I was on the Divina in 2015, they had one opera show, and that was a matinee. A lot of people walked out. I think they never saw an opera, and wanted to try it, and decided it wasn't for them. It wasn't for us either, but we did stay for the entire show. Never again.

I have been on the Divina twice and was on the Seaside last week.

Prior to sailing on the Divina I had never been exposed to opera and wanted to see it. I enjoyed opera night on both Divina cruises and wish they still had it on the Seaside.

Oh no! I was searching a couple days ago to see what nights the opera show was for the Seaside! I am so sad to see that it won't be offered!

I have always wanted to go see an opera. My husband wants nothing to do with it. I figured this was my chance to finally see a bit of an opera! And I told my family traveling with us that there is an opera show, and my daughters were also excited at the prospect of seeing it (why the men in my family don't want to see it, I have no idea!). After all, we are going on an Italian cruise line, that while attempting to cater to the American market, still has the European feel to set it apart - at least, that is what drew us to MSC in the first place.

Next thing I am going to find out is that Italian music is no longer played when departing port (we heard it when departing Nassau on the Divina last summer). I loved that bit of ambiance.

Or gelato will go away. That's it, my gelato better not be removed! If I can't have opera and Italian music, I had better still have gelato or I shall mutiny! :D

Oh no! Very disappointed to hear this. Boo to those who complained, it's not as though it constituted anything more than a tiny portion of Seaside's entertainment offering. Offering this type of entertainment was just one of the many things that made MSC distinct. If solely mainstream or Broadway-style is what you want, then there are plenty of options across multiple lines.

Personally I can't stand the idea of 'improvised' comedy shows, but I wouldn't dream of insisting that MSC removed it simply because I don't enjoy them. I do hope that MSC don't continue to pander to these 'complaints'.

We are sailing in September and would have liked to have seen that.

On the Divina the operatic performances were excellent and were really what set MSC apart from the other cruise lines. I hope that they don’t dilute things down to Carnival level. That would be terrible.

Oh no! I was searching a couple days ago to see what nights the opera show was for the Seaside! I am so sad to see that it won't be offered!

I have always wanted to go see an opera. My husband wants nothing to do with it. I figured this was my chance to finally see a bit of an opera! And I told my family traveling with us that there is an opera show, and my daughters were also excited at the prospect of seeing it (why the men in my family don't want to see it, I have no idea!). After all, we are going on an Italian cruise line, that while attempting to cater to the American market, still has the European feel to set it apart - at least, that is what drew us to MSC in the first place.

Next thing I am going to find out is that Italian music is no longer played when departing port (we heard it when departing Nassau on the Divina last summer). I loved that bit of ambiance.

Or gelato will go away. That's it, my gelato better not be removed! If I can't have opera and Italian music, I had better still have gelato or I shall mutiny! :D

Her is a great way to see opera - the Metropolitan Opera transmission of live opera to movie theaters.

https://www.metopera.org/Season/In-Cinemas/

Pick a popular opera - Carmen, or anything by Puccini. Prices are reasonable.

Ah no, seeing an opera on a movie screen is not even REMOTELY the same as seeing a live opera.

Of course it is not the same. But luvavacation said “I have always wanted to go see an opera. My husband wants nothing to do with it.”

She could see an opera on a movie screen for a lot less money than a live opera. We don’t even know if she lives anywhere near a live opera company.

Thank you, Jimbo59, for the suggestion. We rarely go to the movies, so I did not realize this was even an option. I will look into it. I am sure Windlicht is correct, it won't be anything like seeing an opera in person (a lot like seeing my favorite band in person is different than watching them on TV), but I appreciate the input.

I am still disappointed though if the cruise line that I expect to be different from the more "American catering" cruise lines loses the European touch that I was looking forward to. I was very much anticipating seeing the opera show on Seaside, and am sad to hear it is gone.

I had seen a production of Madame Butterfly previous to sailing on Seaside. Since I knew the story, it was easier to enjoy Butterflies on Seaside. They had some subtitles but some of them were obscured by the HUGE butterfly part of the set. I thought it was a pretty presentable job for a cruise ship show.

Have they replaced Butterflies with anothe show?

My daughter and I would not have mind seeing one opera. However my husband has no desire. And it seems much of thier entertainment is opera either in whole or part. On the bright side they'll probably only take it off of the American based ships. The ones that are going to stay in Miami and NY. So those that really want Opera can still get it just have to leave out of a differnt port. A disappointment but one I personally can live with. Now the gelato...don't touch it!!!

Sent from my LGMP450 using Forums mobile app

Not on the Seaside, but just got off the Magnifica today and saw their production of L’Amour (excerpt of Carmen) and the cruise director said that only 3 ships currently are performing operas with them... I didn’t see him to ask which.

I also second the live at the met performances, no not the same as live but still breathtaking and immersive and a very affordable option too.