Fascination cooler

LE

Do you think we can buy a cheap styrofoam cooler in San Juan the right size and all for carrying drinks on board and use during Fascination cruise? We'd discard it after disembarked.

Do you think we can buy a cheap styrofoam cooler in San Juan the right size and all for carrying drinks on board and use during Fascination cruise? We'd discard it after disembarked.

Not sure what Carnival's stand is on bringing coolers onboard, but I'll point out those styrofoam coolers (cheap or otherwise) often leak. That is, the water from the melting ice will migrate around the styrofoam beads and ooze out onto the carpet or desk where you keep the cooler. It really makes a mess.

From the Carnival FAQs:

• Coolers: Small, personal-sized coolers no larger than 12” x 12” x 12” for the purpose of housing small quantities of non-alcoholic beverages and/or medications are permitted as carry-on luggage.

I have seen many confiscated coolers left behind at the security checkpoints over the past few years

I took 2 collapsible soft sided cooler that fit into my suitcase. A 18" X 12" X 12" and a 11" X 11" X 11" one for the room and the smaller for excursions. Nothing was ever said about the larger one but turned out to be to big and it leaked. The smaller one was perfect size for the 2 of us to use in our room.

I bring a collapsible one and keep it in the shower in case it leaks.

I brought a small collapsible cooler as well, for taking off the ship.

I don't think the styrofoam cooler is a good idea. First, they may question even allowing it. I have not seen anyone else bring it. That type of cooler can easily disintegrate and leaves little balls of styrofoam everywhere.

But the main reason for not doing it is you'll never find enough ice to keep it cool. The steward brings a teeny tiny amount of ice which is about enough for one person to use for drinks. There is no self serve ice except at the lido and it is not the type of ice you would use anywhere except in your lemonade or iced tea.

My suggestion is to bring an insulated mug. They keep your drinks cold for a long time. No need to chill the drinks, just pour it over ice.

We have collapsible coolers (2) of the 12” variety that flatten very small. They are from Wallyworld and work just great for all our travels.

You will find coolers however across the street from the pier in San Juan at the Wall of Greens drugstore. Along with sunscreen, body spray, wine and other such things that you cannot fly with in full sizes. Very convenient.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks everyone for your advice and info. We just ordered the collapsible cooler in the link below to take with us. We're a bit concerned with AAL 50 lbs. limit on checked luggage, so was thinking possibly a disposable cooler. We'll be bringing along our own snorkel gear and some other extra items for our planned marriage vow renewal ceremony on the beach of Magens Bay, so weight likely to be a factor. Your inputs very good, and appreciated, so we'll make it work.

https://www.amazon.com/OPUX-Insulated-Collapsible-Leakproof-Construction/dp/B07D3F3P1Q

But the main reason for not doing it is you'll never find enough ice to keep it cool. The steward brings a teeny tiny amount of ice which is about enough for one person to use for drinks. There is no self serve ice except at the lido and it is not the type of ice you would use anywhere except in your lemonade or iced tea.

You steward will be more than happy to bring enough ice to fill a reasonable sized cooler every day.

If you introduce him you your friend President Jackson on the first day, you will never lack for ice, or anything else.

• 2 weeks later...

I was told that they will bring as much ice as you want. I've already prepaid gratuities and plan to give extra tips but see no reason why one should have to pay extra for the steward to do their job? Maybe I sound harsh but I'm trying to figure out what they do on a cruise ship different from a regular hotel except bring you ice.

• 2 weeks later...
I was told that they will bring as much ice as you want. I've already prepaid gratuities and plan to give extra tips but see no reason why one should have to pay extra for the steward to do their job? Maybe I sound harsh but I'm trying to figure out what they do on a cruise ship different from a regular hotel except bring you ice.

Actually I wish the Fascination had an ice machine like a hotel since they have no fridge. I struggled with a leaking collapsible cooler that turned ice to water in a hurry. I abandoned it after 1 day. I felt like I was inconveniencing the steward who preferred to just bring ice in the evening and when he brought it he just had a bucket with no lid. I would rather have access to ice when I want it rather than having to call someone or work out a plan. Fortunately I didn't have anything that would expire. At one point I called for ice (as my steward instructed) and they brought me a bucket via room service. They had me sign for it (it was free) but clearly they were looking for a tip. Really hard for me to tip for ice when every other ship I've been on has had a fridge.

I think some folks like a full service hotel, I prefer a self-service hotel. A steward for me is housekeeping not a butler.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-30-Can-Soft-Cooler-with-Removable-Liner-Green/23787668

I purchased this recently and will put inside my luggage to bring onto ship. The liner helps deter leaks. Will also have a zip lock bag or two to keep ice clean.

Hi! I am looking to purchase a cooler for our upcoming cruise on the Fascination and that looks perfect but I was wondering how you packed it in your luggage. Is it a hard plastic liner? If so, was it able to fit in your luggage without taking up too much room? Thanks!

You steward will be more than happy to bring enough ice to fill a reasonable sized cooler every day.

If you introduce him you your friend President Jackson on the first day, you will never lack for ice, or anything else.

It should not be necessary to tip them the first day! (this is a personal preference)

Show them the cooler, and just ask them to keep it filled. They all know extra tips usually come with that request. But the tips don't need to be paid until the request has been fulfilled by the steward and/or assistant.:):)

I agree, use a collapsible cooler. Much easier to flatten and pack/unpack!:cool: