Wifi in ports

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Mexican Riviera
Includes: Acapulco, Cabo San Lucas, Loreto, Manzanillo, Mazatlan, Pichilingue/La Paz, Puerto Vallarta, Topolobampo & Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa, Mexico

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:28 AM.
82 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
I'm going on a Panama Canal cruise in a few weeks. I'm wondering about wifi in the ports we're visiting: cabo san Lucas, Puerto Vallarta, huatulco, puerto Chiapas. Is it common in these ports for there to be free or even not free wifi? I'm just wondering if I can avoid purchasing a roaming package.
San Diego
77 Posts
Joined Jun 2012
Originally posted by angelbearmom
I'm going on a Panama Canal cruise in a few weeks. I'm wondering about wifi in the ports we're visiting: cabo san Lucas, Puerto Vallarta, huatulco, puerto Chiapas. Is it common in these ports for there to be free or even not free wifi? I'm just wondering if I can avoid purchasing a roaming package.
Cabo and Puerto Vallarta did not have free WiFi unless near a Walmart or Starbucks. Are you trying to avoid paying anything at all or just limiting your expenditures.? If you have an unlocked GSM phone, Movistar Sim cards are about 3 bucks a day. If you have T-Mobile you can roam for free. In Puerto Vallarta, I purchased an at&t Sim card from the Walmart and it had unlimited talk and text and and roaming with 600mb of data, all for one month and for about 25 bucks.

Sent from my E5663 using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Aug 2017 - Carnival Miracle - Mexican Riviera, Mexico
Mar 2016 - Carnival Victory - Nassau & Freeport, Bahamas
Aug 2011 - Carnival Sensation - Key West, FL
Feb 2010 - Carnival Paradise - Ensenada, Mexico
Petaluma, Ca. 94954
29,378 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
If you have ATT, and I believe a couple of other phone companies, Mexico is considered part of your US plan.

Otherwise, the costs aren't huge.
San Diego, CA/Cabo San Lucas Mexico
14,029 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
Almost every bar and restaurant in Cabo has free WiFi. Just ask.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
440 Days on the Sea and Counting
The Netherlands, wintermonths in Puerto vallarta, Mexico
6,609 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
You will find many free wifi spots in various restaurants and coffeshops in Puerto Vallarta. Most common is the one in the Starbucks and the foodcourt at the Galleria Mall, more or less opposite the cruise terminal. Always check with the crew, since they know where in all ports there will be free wifi.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Last cruises: Koningsdam 27 August 2017 - Norway
Celebrity Millenium Asia, December 2016
RCCL Vision of the seas Med, october 15 2016.
Various cruises on HAL, Celebrity and Orient Lines (doesnot exist anymore)
1st cruise 1983 HAL "Volendam"[/b][/font]
1963 DH sailed Chandris Lines (Bretagne) from Australia to Europe.
Various trips by car through Europe, the USA and Mexico.
Frequent long winter stay in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.
Durham, NC
438 Posts
Joined Sep 2013
Just ask/follow the crew members on board the ship--they will know all the nearby free wifi spots at each port.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Bill

"We are all just prisoners here, of our own device"