Only in Cabo and PV for 6 hours

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Mexican Riviera
Includes: Acapulco, Cabo San Lucas, Loreto, Manzanillo, Mazatlan, Pichilingue/La Paz, Puerto Vallarta, Topolobampo & Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa, Mexico

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:52 PM.
#1
Wisconsin
38 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
During a Panama Canal cruise in mid April 2018, we will stop in Cabo for 6 hours and PV for 6 hours. We are not 'beachy" people. Any suggestions on what to do during our short port visits? BTW - we have never been to either city before.

Thanks in advance for your ideas !!

Cheryl
#2
san jose
324 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
Hi Cheryl, Not knowing your interest, other than no Beach, Here's what we like to do in a short period of time. In PV, I would get a Cab out on the street ( They are cheaper) and take it to the Mercado as it is a fun area to shop around in, then by the Mercado walk over the foot bridge in to Old Town ( Other wise known as Zona Romantica) This is a Wonderful area to walk around as well, Head towards the Ocean and there are numerous places to eat and have a Margarita. Cab back when your ready.
As far as Cabo, you can get a water taxi to the Rock Point which is fun, Takes around 30-45 minutes, then walk around Town a bit to get the feel of it....Much more Touristy than PV. Lots of places to eat and drink, whether around the Marina or Towards town.
We have Cruised to both many times and have spent weeks at a time in both. PV is our favorite "Go To Place"! Feel free to message me with further questions and/or recommendations for Local Restaurants! Mark
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
52 Cruises and Counting.....







#3
The Netherlands, wintermonths in Puerto vallarta, Mexico
6,610 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
In Puerto Vallarta at the port talk to one of the guides offering their services by van to show you around or book a short tour with one of them.
Another option is to take cab to the Malecon, starting near Hotel Rosita or near the famous church. You can walk along the ocean, see/visit shops, restaurants, and of course the ocean. More south at Playa Los Muertos you will find various restaurants right at the beach. Nice old town area.
Cabs at the port charge per person in US$, they cannot take you back. Yellow cabs otuside the port charge per cab, mostly in Pesos. Many accept US$. Price will be (depending where you go) around Pesos 120,- or US$ 8/10,-
On the way back take one of the yellow cabs, but always make your rate before entering.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Last cruises: Koningsdam 27 August 2017 - Norway
Celebrity Millenium Asia, December 2016
RCCL Vision of the seas Med, october 15 2016.
Various cruises on HAL, Celebrity and Orient Lines (doesnot exist anymore)
1st cruise 1983 HAL "Volendam"[/b][/font]
1963 DH sailed Chandris Lines (Bretagne) from Australia to Europe.
Various trips by car through Europe, the USA and Mexico.
Frequent long winter stay in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.
#4
Wisconsin
38 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
Originally posted by messengerc21
Hi Cheryl, Not knowing your interest, other than no Beach, Here's what we like to do in a short period of time. In PV, I would get a Cab out on the street ( They are cheaper) and take it to the Mercado as it is a fun area to shop around in, then by the Mercado walk over the foot bridge in to Old Town ( Other wise known as Zona Romantica) This is a Wonderful area to walk around as well, Head towards the Ocean and there are numerous places to eat and have a Margarita. Cab back when your ready.
As far as Cabo, you can get a water taxi to the Rock Point which is fun, Takes around 30-45 minutes, then walk around Town a bit to get the feel of it....Much more Touristy than PV. Lots of places to eat and drink, whether around the Marina or Towards town.
We have Cruised to both many times and have spent weeks at a time in both. PV is our favorite "Go To Place"! Feel free to message me with further questions and/or recommendations for Local Restaurants! Mark
Hi Mark,
Thank you for the great suggestions !! I like your ideas about PV. Sounds like a nice, relaxing way to spend a few hours. We are hoping to get a "feel" for PV to see if we'd like to make that a destination for a future vacation.

I was curious about going out to Rock Point but wasn't sure on how much time it would take. Now I know . My hubby really wants to visit Cabo Wabo. I heard that place can be a bit of a zoo. Any thoughts?

Cheryl
#5
Wisconsin
38 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
Originally posted by Ine
In Puerto Vallarta at the port talk to one of the guides offering their services by van to show you around or book a short tour with one of them.
Another option is to take cab to the Malecon, starting near Hotel Rosita or near the famous church. You can walk along the ocean, see/visit shops, restaurants, and of course the ocean. More south at Playa Los Muertos you will find various restaurants right at the beach. Nice old town area.
Cabs at the port charge per person in US$, they cannot take you back. Yellow cabs otuside the port charge per cab, mostly in Pesos. Many accept US$. Price will be (depending where you go) around Pesos 120,- or US$ 8/10,-
On the way back take one of the yellow cabs, but always make your rate before entering.
Ine,
Thank you for your comments and suggestions. It's nice to have some advice on when & where to grab a cab. We have made some wrong choices in Europe before. For us, Mexico isn't a place to 'live and learn' !!

Cheryl
#6
san jose
324 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
Originally posted by MamasNomad
Hi Mark,
Thank you for the great suggestions !! I like your ideas about PV. Sounds like a nice, relaxing way to spend a few hours. We are hoping to get a "feel" for PV to see if we'd like to make that a destination for a future vacation.

I was curious about going out to Rock Point but wasn't sure on how much time it would take. Now I know . My hubby really wants to visit Cabo Wabo. I heard that place can be a bit of a zoo. Any thoughts?

Cheryl
Hi Cheryl, Cabo Wabo would be fun.....Plenty of others to choose from as well. As far as PV, once you cross the River on the Foot Bridge and head towards the Ocean, There is a lot of places to choose from. You will see "The Malecon" which is a large cement sidewalk that goes along the Ocean....Turn right (north) and it is a great walk back with loads of shopping and places to stop for a Margarita or??? Enjoy!!! One minor suggestion is on your first stop, hit a Bank ATM and draw out some peso's. Much cheaper at those and you will get more using Peso's than the exchange at various shops and Restaurants!! Enjoy! Also, don't worry about the Ice in Drinks, Very Safe! Never been sick! Mark
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
52 Cruises and Counting.....







#7
San Diego, CA/Cabo San Lucas Mexico
14,029 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
I was curious about going out to Rock Point but wasn't sure on how much time it would take. Now I know . My hubby really wants to visit Cabo Wabo. I heard that place can be a bit of a zoo. Any thoughts?

During the day, Cabo Wabo is sedate, it's at night when things heat up. Go have a drink and a snack and visit the gift shop.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
440 Days on the Sea and Counting
#8
Central Texas
100 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
We took a food tour in PV and it was great. It's walking tour in the old part of the city and we hit everything from street food to fancy restaurant and included some of the history. We used Valarta Food Tours. You'd have to take a taxi to the start point and check to make sure the timing works for you. We found our that ship time was different than local time and made it just in time.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
The Vagabond..


Upcoming cruises:

Norwegian Star - 1/5/2018
American Empress - 4/29/2018
Symphony of the Seas - 10/28/2018
Serenade of the Seas - 01/11/2019 (B2B)
Serenade of the Seas - 01/21/2019


Past cruises:

Ruby Princess - 2017, Carnival Triumph - 2016, Celebrity Millennium -2015, American Queen - 2014
Celebrity Eclipse - 2013, Celebrity Century - 2013, Mariner of the Seas - 2012, UniWorld River Empress - 2011
Celebrity Equinox - 2011, Queen Mary 2 - 2009, Costa Fortuna - 2006, Star Virgo - 2005, MS Dalmacija - 2003
The Azur - 2002, Nile Cruise - 1998
#9
Quebec City
335 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Originally posted by Vagabond.rt
We took a food tour in PV and it was great. It's walking tour in the old part of the city and we hit everything from street food to fancy restaurant and included some of the history. We used Valarta Food Tours. You'd have to take a taxi to the start point and check to make sure the timing works for you. We found our that ship time was different than local time and made it just in time.
We are going to PV in October on an HAL cruise and I already book a food tour with them. Reading your post, I'm a bit scare now. I didn't thought that we could not be on the same time as local time.

We are schedule to arrive at 10 and I reserved a tour at 11. What was your cruise line and what was the difference between the ship time and the local time? Also, can you tell me how much time did it take to go downtown in taxi? Thanks a lot!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
email me: zazoujoyeuse at yahoo dot com (Please put Cruise Critic in subject line)
NCL Jewel 07, Pearl 09, Dawn 10, Spirit jan 11, Spirit June 12, Pearl February 13, Dawn January 15, Gem November 16 NEXT: HAL Nieuw Armesterdam oct 2017
#10
The Netherlands, wintermonths in Puerto vallarta, Mexico
6,610 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
What ship are you on? Indeed some ships have a different time then local time.
We were waiting for friends at 9 am, nobody there. They came at 10 am thinking this was 9 am. So confusing!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Last cruises: Koningsdam 27 August 2017 - Norway
Celebrity Millenium Asia, December 2016
RCCL Vision of the seas Med, october 15 2016.
Various cruises on HAL, Celebrity and Orient Lines (doesnot exist anymore)
1st cruise 1983 HAL "Volendam"[/b][/font]
1963 DH sailed Chandris Lines (Bretagne) from Australia to Europe.
Various trips by car through Europe, the USA and Mexico.
Frequent long winter stay in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.
#11
Quebec City
335 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Originally posted by Ine
What ship are you on? Indeed some ships have a different time then local time.
We were waiting for friends at 9 am, nobody there. They came at 10 am thinking this was 9 am. So confusing!
We will be on HAL Nieuw Amsterdam on October 8th.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
email me: zazoujoyeuse at yahoo dot com (Please put Cruise Critic in subject line)
NCL Jewel 07, Pearl 09, Dawn 10, Spirit jan 11, Spirit June 12, Pearl February 13, Dawn January 15, Gem November 16 NEXT: HAL Nieuw Armesterdam oct 2017
#12
The Netherlands, wintermonths in Puerto vallarta, Mexico
6,610 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
Originally posted by zazou
We will be on HAL Nieuw Amsterdam on October 8th.
As far as I can see you will be there between 10 and 6 local time.
Time enough to take a cab or bus to old town and wander around. Have a drink at Playa Los Muertos, walk the Malecon etc.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Last cruises: Koningsdam 27 August 2017 - Norway
Celebrity Millenium Asia, December 2016
RCCL Vision of the seas Med, october 15 2016.
Various cruises on HAL, Celebrity and Orient Lines (doesnot exist anymore)
1st cruise 1983 HAL "Volendam"[/b][/font]
1963 DH sailed Chandris Lines (Bretagne) from Australia to Europe.
Various trips by car through Europe, the USA and Mexico.
Frequent long winter stay in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.