Best month to cruise to Baja

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Mexican Riviera
Includes: Acapulco, Cabo San Lucas, Loreto, Manzanillo, Mazatlan, Pichilingue/La Paz, Puerto Vallarta, Topolobampo & Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa, Mexico

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:59 AM.
Southern CA
45 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
Hi, I was trying to decide what month to go to Baja. I was looking at 4 day cruises sailing from LB, and going to Catalina and Ensenada. I was trying to figure out if early November, early December, mid January, February, March, or July was the best time to go. Any input? Thanks
Charleston, WV
352 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
These are the best months for whale watching in the Baja.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
------------------------------------------------------
SeaThruU

RCI Serenade of the Seas - 7-Night Canada & New England 9/17/17
RCI Harmony of the Seas - 7-Night Eastern Caribbean 7/15/17
Celebrity Reflection - 7-Night Eastern Caribbean 3/4/17
Regal Princess - 7-Night Western Caribbean 1/15/17
Celebrity Infinity - 16-Night Eastbound Panama Canal 10/7/16
NCL Getaway - 7-Night Western Caribbean 5/29/16
RCI Adventure of the Seas - 7-night Southern Caribbean 3/26/16
RCI Jewel of the Seas - 7-Night Southern Caribbean 2/28/2016
Celebrity Eclipse - 14-Night Baltics 7/11/2015
RCI Independence of the Seas - 8-Night Eastern Caribbean 3/28/15
NCL Getaway - 7-Night Eastern Caribbean 12/27/14
Celebrity Eclipse - 14-Night Iceland & Norway 7/5/2014
NCL Epic - 7-Night Western Caribbean 4/13/2014
RCI Adventure of the Seas - 7-Night Southern Caribbean 1/12/2014
RCI Radiance of the Seas - 13-Night Alaska Cruise-Tour Southbound 6/21/2013
RCI Independence of the Seas - 8-Night Eastern Caribbean 3/30/2013
RCI Brilliance of the Seas - 7-Night Southern Caribbean 1/12/2013
RCI Freedom of the Seas - 7-Night Western Caribbean 6/2012
Grand Princess - 7-Night Eastern Caribbean 4/2012
RCI Allure of the Seas - 7-Night Western Caribbean 11/2011
RCI Brilliance of the Seas - 12-Night Mediterranean 6/2010
Diamond Princess - 13-Night Alaska Cruise-Tour Southbound 6/2009
North County San Diego
1,875 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
I would go in July. If you go in winter it will likely be cool and possibly rainy. Early November and late March can have nice weather, but it won't be anything like a cruise in the Caribbean where it is warm or hot all year long. Of course if you go outside of summer, you won't be competing with the locals for space in tourist locations.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming
TBD
Previous
Liberty of the Seas - Western Caribbean - 9/2017, Brilliance of the Seas - Transatlantic - 4/2017, Jewel of the Seas - Transatlantic - 4/2016, Serenade of the Seas - Southern Caribbean - 11/2015, Mariner of the Seas - Eastern Med/Turkey - 6/2011, Allure of the Seas - Western Caribbean - 4/2011, Mariner of the Seas - Western Mexico II - 4/2009, Jewel of the Seas - Panama Canal - 12/2008, Navigator of the Seas - Atlantic Coast/Western Med - 7/2007, Vision of the Seas - Western Mexico - 4/2006, Jewel of the Seas - Baltic - 7/2005, Brilliance of the Seas - Med / Greek Islands - 7/2004, Disney Magic - Western Caribbean - 2/2003, Disney Magic - Eastern Caribbean - 2/2001
Ontario, CA (The one WITH the Palm Trees!)
22,620 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Best in what way?

July will have the most kids. The other months have a chance of rain.
Personally we avoid July because of the heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

california
1,044 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
Honestly a 4 day to Baja is so brief with minimal stops that I do not think there is a "best" time. As you see previous posters totally diverge in their opinions. Really should relate to best time for you, as well as whether you want lots of younger kids on board. All the 4 days will overall have a more youthful vibe but summer will be more kids in that mix. Prepare for lots of alcohol being consumed.
9,686 Posts
Joined May 2009
We were in Cabo in early February on a Panama Canal cruise. It is definitely the heart of whale-watching season, and we had a fantastic whale watching tour with Whale Watch Cabo.

(photo by turtles06)
San Diego, CA/Cabo San Lucas Mexico
14,029 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
Originally posted by SelectSys
I would go in July. If you go in winter it will likely be cool and possibly rainy. Early November and late March can have nice weather, but it won't be anything like a cruise in the Caribbean where it is warm or hot all year long. Of course if you go outside of summer, you won't be competing with the locals for space in tourist locations.

November-May is beautiful weather in Cabo. Not sure where you are coming up with rainy, if it rains at all in Cabo, it is during hurricane season, May-Nov. Cabo is a desert. I was there last winter for six months and the lowest temps ranged from 59-72 and that was for a brief period of time. The one thing Cabo has over the Caribbean, especially in the winter, is no humidity. July will be hot and humid.

Not sure what you mean about competing with locals for space in tourist locations, we locals have our own hangouts and welcome tourist to discover them.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
440 Days on the Sea and Counting
San Diego, CA/Cabo San Lucas Mexico
14,029 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
Originally posted by Binky1968
Anyone gone in October? Weather, Kid's?
October can still be warm at the beginning of the month and starting to cool off with less humidity as the month goes on. The best part about October in Cabo are the big fishing tournaments. Check out information on the Bisbee Black & Blue tournament. These are big money tournaments, the water is just right for the fish. Even if you are not competing, it is fun to watch the boats take off when the guns sound.

Kids are in school.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
440 Days on the Sea and Counting