Cabo, Cancun Travel Safety State Dept. Warning??!!

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Mexican Riviera
Includes: Acapulco, Cabo San Lucas, Loreto, Manzanillo, Mazatlan, Pichilingue/La Paz, Puerto Vallarta, Topolobampo & Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa, Mexico

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:18 AM.
#1
Columbus, Ohio
18,630 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
From the Los Angeles Times, they have this headline today: U.S. warns citizens about traveling to Mexico's Cancun and Los Cabos as violence surges with these highlights: “TThe U.S. State Department has warned its citizens about traveling to Cancun and Los Cabos, two of Mexico’s most popular tourist destinations, after a surge in violence in those regions. A travel advisory issued Tuesday upgraded the warnings for two states, Quintana Roo and Baja California Sur, saying turf battles between criminal groups have resulted in violent crime and shootings in which innocent bystanders have been killed.”.

In March, we super loved out first visit to Cabo. Great location, food, scenery, etc.!!! How do others react to these latest incidents in an area that had previously been considered safe?

Full story at:
http://www.latimes.com/world/mexico-americas/la-fg-mexico-cancun-warning-20170822-story.html

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Panama Canal? Completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! Those visuals start on the second page, post #26. See more at:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580
#2
Wichita, KS
1,040 Posts
Joined Nov 2014
Quintana Roo is also the state that Cozumel is in, and almost every western Caribbean route stops there, although isn't Coz on an island?


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature









#3
St. Peters, Missouri
62 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
Originally posted by TLCOhio
From the Los Angeles Times, they have this headline today: U.S. warns citizens about traveling to Mexico's Cancun and Los Cabos as violence surges with these highlights: “TThe U.S. State Department has warned its citizens about traveling to Cancun and Los Cabos, two of Mexico’s most popular tourist destinations, after a surge in violence in those regions. A travel advisory issued Tuesday upgraded the warnings for two states, Quintana Roo and Baja California Sur, saying turf battles between criminal groups have resulted in violent crime and shootings in which innocent bystanders have been killed.”.

In March, we super loved out first visit to Cabo. Great location, food, scenery, etc.!!! How do others react to these latest incidents in an area that had previously been considered safe?

Full story at:
http://www.latimes.com/world/mexico-americas/la-fg-mexico-cancun-warning-20170822-story.html

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Panama Canal? Completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! Those visuals start on the second page, post #26. See more at:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580
Hi Terry,

I will be interested to see what everyone else has to say regarding this. We are going to be in Cabo San Lucas next week. This is our first time. We decided to stay closer to port and not venture too far away. Really sad because I have heard such neat things about the San Jose del Cabo area. We always proceed with common sense no matter where we go. You can find trouble anywhere - so they say. We were thinking of taking a cab to one of the beaches. Still haven't decided.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
The O's on the Go

Carnival Miracle August 2017
Carnival Freedom 2013
Carnival Liberty 2007
Carnival Elation 2005
Carnival Conquest 2001
Carnival Carnivale 1990

#4
North County San Diego
1,875 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Go and enjoy the beach. Take the water taxi from the port and first visit "Los Arcos" and then off to "Playa El Medano" to enjoy the water and a beachfront bar like Mango Deck.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming
TBD
Previous
Liberty of the Seas - Western Caribbean - 9/2017, Brilliance of the Seas - Transatlantic - 4/2017, Jewel of the Seas - Transatlantic - 4/2016, Serenade of the Seas - Southern Caribbean - 11/2015, Mariner of the Seas - Eastern Med/Turkey - 6/2011, Allure of the Seas - Western Caribbean - 4/2011, Mariner of the Seas - Western Mexico II - 4/2009, Jewel of the Seas - Panama Canal - 12/2008, Navigator of the Seas - Atlantic Coast/Western Med - 7/2007, Vision of the Seas - Western Mexico - 4/2006, Jewel of the Seas - Baltic - 7/2005, Brilliance of the Seas - Med / Greek Islands - 7/2004, Disney Magic - Western Caribbean - 2/2003, Disney Magic - Eastern Caribbean - 2/2001
#6
St. Peters, Missouri
62 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
Originally posted by SelectSys
Go and enjoy the beach. Take the water taxi from the port and first visit "Los Arcos" and then off to "Playa El Medano" to enjoy the water and a beachfront bar like Mango Deck.
Hi selectsys,
Thank you for the suggestions. They sound great. Sounds like we might have a plan now. Again thanks for the suggestions
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
The O's on the Go

Carnival Miracle August 2017
Carnival Freedom 2013
Carnival Liberty 2007
Carnival Elation 2005
Carnival Conquest 2001
Carnival Carnivale 1990

#7
Cumberland, Rhode Island
219 Posts
Joined Sep 2002
I am more concerned about the "TAINTED" alcohol problems in Cancun, Playa Del Carmen, and other resorts areas.

I know the State Dept. also issued travel warnings for these areas since an American tourist died at one of the Iberostar Resorts. They have found tainted illegal liquor at many of the "better" resorts in recent weeks. They have no idea where it is coming from.

I was thinking of spending the day at Nacchi Cocum in Cozumel when we go on our cruise in October, but now I am not so sure it is such a good idea. I always expect to hear about tainted liquor in certain areas of Mexico, but not at the High End Resorts. This just started a couple of months ago and it seems to be spreading from Cancun down south through Playa De Carmen and south from there. I am still debating. I am curious if anyone else has any opinions about spending the day at an All Inclusive Resort is Cozumel?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Oasis of the Seas 10/01/2017
Freedom of the Seas 10/2016
Freedom of the Seas 08/2016
Celebrity Constellation 12/2015
Celebrity Summit 11/2014
Carnival Paradise 09/2014
Oasis of the Seas 11/2013
Carnival Glory 09/2013
Jewel of the Seas 12/2011
Radiance of the Seas 11/2010
Carnival Glory 10/2009
Celebrity Solstice 12/2008
Mariner of the Seas 10/2007
Carnival Destiny 04/2006
Mariner of the Seas 10/2005
Carnival Fascination 08/2005
Majesty of the Seas 04/2005
Carnival Victory 07/2004
Celebrity Century 05/2004
Mariner of the Seas 12/2003
Sovereign of the Seas 05/2003
Monarch Of The Seas 12/2002
Celebrity Century 10/2002
Sovereign Of The Seas 10/2001
#8
Central Illinois
114,239 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Appreciate the info.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bob

Past Cruises

Celebrity: Mercury
RCCL: Adventure, Allure, Brilliance, Enchantment, Explorer, Freedom, Independence, Legend, Liberty, Majesty, Mariner, Monarch, Navigator, Oasis, Radiance, Rhapsody, Serenade, Sovereign, Vision, Voyager
#10
Cumberland, Rhode Island
219 Posts
Joined Sep 2002
Originally posted by Host Clarea
Appreciate the info.
You are Welcome.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Oasis of the Seas 10/01/2017
Freedom of the Seas 10/2016
Freedom of the Seas 08/2016
Celebrity Constellation 12/2015
Celebrity Summit 11/2014
Carnival Paradise 09/2014
Oasis of the Seas 11/2013
Carnival Glory 09/2013
Jewel of the Seas 12/2011
Radiance of the Seas 11/2010
Carnival Glory 10/2009
Celebrity Solstice 12/2008
Mariner of the Seas 10/2007
Carnival Destiny 04/2006
Mariner of the Seas 10/2005
Carnival Fascination 08/2005
Majesty of the Seas 04/2005
Carnival Victory 07/2004
Celebrity Century 05/2004
Mariner of the Seas 12/2003
Sovereign of the Seas 05/2003
Monarch Of The Seas 12/2002
Celebrity Century 10/2002
Sovereign Of The Seas 10/2001
#11
Columbus, Ohio
18,630 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by theosonthego
Hi Terry, I will be interested to see what everyone else has to say regarding this. We are going to be in Cabo San Lucas next week. This is our first time. We decided to stay closer to port and not venture too far away. Really sad because I have heard such neat things about the San Jose del Cabo area. We always proceed with common sense no matter where we go. You can find trouble anywhere - so they say. We were thinking of taking a cab to one of the beaches. Still haven't decided.
Appreciate these various follow-ups and comments. Good luck to our "neighbors" in Missouri when you visit Cabo next week for the first time. We will hope for the best in the future.

Yes, Cabo was super wonderful for us during our visit. Need evidence? Here are few of my visual samples to prove its description of "gorgeous" that many have used for this location. You can see many, many more Cabo pictures and details on page three of my live/blog at:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:
www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337
Now at 34,143 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Here is that famed “hole” at El Arco de Cabo San Lucas. This icon sight is shown both from the Sea of Cortez and Pacific Ocean sides. Great “drama” on such a bright, sunny day!:
(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)



We were so fortunate to have some great views of seals and sea lions. Such fun as these pictures illustrate. Don’t you just love these anmals and their great facial expressions?:


Here is another wildlife picture from our private water taxi boat tour down to the bottom of El Arco de Cabo San Lucas. Good-looking bird?:


Here is one typical visual from the shopping area of Cabo as we walked after our water taxi tour down to the rocks, “hole” and back. Yes, lots of nice-looking buildings, places to spend money, etc., in Cabo. Even a big shopping mall here with many of the “usual suspects” located there, etc.:


My wife is enjoying her drink!! We had a brunch here and the food was super outstanding. WOW!! Great drinks, food and sights on the beach at The Office dining location! Plus, perfect weather and a wide variety of “people action”! What can be better?.:


#12
St. Peters, Missouri
62 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
Thank you for the pictures Terry. They are beautiful. Looking forward to seeing it in person. Thanks for the well wishes too! Hoping for fun and safe travels for all
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
The O's on the Go

Carnival Miracle August 2017
Carnival Freedom 2013
Carnival Liberty 2007
Carnival Elation 2005
Carnival Conquest 2001
Carnival Carnivale 1990

#13
Columbus, Ohio
18,630 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by theosonthego
Thank you for the pictures Terry. They are beautiful. Looking forward to seeing it in person. Thanks for the well wishes too! Hoping for fun and safe travels for all
Appreciate your nice comments and this follow-ups. Be sure to report back here and post an update as to how your visit to Cabo worked, the conditions there, what the ship did and said for this visit, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.):
www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696
Now at 52,607 views for these postings.
#14
San Diego, CA
1,105 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
We're in Cabo as we speak. Arrived on 8/19, leaving tomorrow. We're staying at the Hilton. Did a sunset dinner cruise, took the public bus to San Jose del Cabo, meandered all over the place. Didn't see any bandidos with or without a mustache. I just can't imagine not getting off the ship and exploring the port.
#15
San Diego
77 Posts
Joined Jun 2012
Originally posted by theosonthego
Hi Terry,

I will be interested to see what everyone else has to say regarding this. We are going to be in Cabo San Lucas next week. This is our first time. We decided to stay closer to port and not venture too far away. Really sad because I have heard such neat things about the San Jose del Cabo area. We always proceed with common sense no matter where we go. You can find trouble anywhere - so they say. We were thinking of taking a cab to one of the beaches. Still haven't decided.
Not that I agree or disagree with whatever stats the State Dept uses to generate a warning, but we were there two weeks ago, no issues. We had our two kids with us. Did the cruise excursion and saw the arches, bathed on one of the beaches, and did some shopping.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Aug 2017 - Carnival Miracle - Mexican Riviera, Mexico
Mar 2016 - Carnival Victory - Nassau & Freeport, Bahamas
Aug 2011 - Carnival Sensation - Key West, FL
Feb 2010 - Carnival Paradise - Ensenada, Mexico
#16
San Diego
4,701 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
We have a 5 dayer, 2 days in Cabo, booked for March.
We LOVE Cabo and still plan to go.
Cruise ships won't go where it is unsafe.

The only place where I have truly felt
uncomfortable is Acapulco, and that was a few years ago.

Patti
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
DISNEY Wonder
NCL Star 2x
PCL Grand, Star, Ruby, Crown, Golden 2x, Sapphire 2x, Sea
CCL Inspiration, Paradise, Splendor, Spirit, Elation 2x
RCI Jewel, Radiance 2x
HAL Zaandam, Statendam 2x, Ryndam 2x




#17
AZ
492 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Originally posted by sassyredhat
We have a 5 dayer, 2 days in Cabo, booked for March.
We LOVE Cabo and still plan to go.
Cruise ships won't go where it is unsafe.

The only place where I have truly felt
uncomfortable is Acapulco, and that was a few years ago.

Patti
Of course, but the problem is there is no indicator light in the port that says "safe" or "unsafe." It is certainly more unsafe than it has been in the past. But what does that mean? Cruise lines will continue to go there until they figure out an alternative and/or until a cruise passenger is killed. I wouldn't want to be that one passenger, or you could be one of the thousands that go there without a problem. Everyone should do their own research to determine if its safe for them. Don't rely on a cruise company to decide this for you as their decision is likely to be more financial (including lawsuits) than anything else.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Allen & Pam
#18
St. Peters, Missouri
62 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
Hello everyone
We just got back from Cabo San Lucas. We walked around downtown and definitely saw a police presence. We felt pretty safe. We saw police on corners around shopa. We saw open air keeps with police with some pretty impressive guns (looked like machine guns). But I don't know my guns. There were lots of people out in the shops and restaurants. So it was definitely safety in numbers. On the first day only 800 people stayed on the boat. Thought I would give you my take on my visit to CAbo. People are so nice there. We had great time
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
The O's on the Go

Carnival Miracle August 2017
Carnival Freedom 2013
Carnival Liberty 2007
Carnival Elation 2005
Carnival Conquest 2001
Carnival Carnivale 1990

#19
Columbus, Ohio
18,630 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by theosonthego
Hello everyone. We just got back from Cabo San Lucas. We walked around downtown and definitely saw a police presence. We felt pretty safe. We saw police on corners around shopa. We saw open air keeps with police with some pretty impressive guns (looked like machine guns). But I don't know my guns. There were lots of people out in the shops and restaurants. So it was definitely safety in numbers. On the first day only 800 people stayed on the boat. Thought I would give you my take on my visit to CAbo. People are so nice there. We had great time
Appreciate these great comments and follow-ups about the current conditions and safety in Cabo. Glad to hear these added details. We super loved Cabo. Hopefully things go well and that the cruise lines will continue to monitor carefully conditions there.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139
for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 185,874 views for this posting.
#20
San Diego, CA/Cabo San Lucas Mexico
14,029 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
Terry the link you provided is no longer working.

I am unaware of innocent bystanders being killed in Cabo, so far, the crimes have been targeted. There is a good police presence all over downtown.

The most tragic thing that has happened in Cabo recently is Tropical Storm Lidia which hit on Thursday, August 31. There was a great amount of rain causing mud slides, bridges collapse, even some building collapsed. Clean up has begun and is proceeding rapidly because Cabo relies on tourism dollars. There was not much coverage of this with the US media because the focus is on Houston.

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane...idia-los-cabos
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
440 Days on the Sea and Counting