The worst port we ever visited

richard1s

We visited to this port in March on the HAL Oosterdam. I could find very little on it on both CC and TripAdvisor, and a lot of what I did find was negative.

While I am certain that some adventurous souls would enjoy a boat trip or bus ride to a remote area to hike or pass out school supplies to local children, this isn’t really what appeals to us while on vacation.

And with that said, this was for us the absolute worst port of the approximately 30+ or so we have visited on our many cruises. It is true – this is primarily a loud, fairly busy (ugly) container port. The only thing to do if you are not on an excursion is walk through a large, crowed, stuffy building adjacent to the port where merchants all sell the exact same thing. I am not sure why HAL (or any cruise line) would put in here. Be forewarned.

We visited to this port in March on the HAL Oosterdam. I could find very little on it on both CC and TripAdvisor, and a lot of what I did find was negative.

While I am certain that some adventurous souls would enjoy a boat trip or bus ride to a remote area to hike or pass out school supplies to local children, this isn’t really what appeals to us while on vacation.

And with that said, this was for us the absolute worst port of the approximately 30+ or so we have visited on our many cruises. It is true – this is primarily a loud, fairly busy (ugly) container port. The only thing to do if you are not on an excursion is walk through a large, crowed, stuffy building adjacent to the port where merchants all sell the exact same thing. I am not sure why HAL (or any cruise line) would put in here. Be forewarned.

What port are you referring to?

We took our two year old with us on Go with Gus' humanitarian tour. The boat trip down the Rio Dulce was quite peaceful and lovely, and we really liked visiting the school (but you should skip that if you have no interest). We didn't visit the Mayan communities or the fort, since that would be too much with a kid and we wanted to see the school (although I totally understand why others might want to skip the school).

The boat ride really wasn't adventurous for our two year old, or the grandparents who came with us. I thought it was a beautiful port with very friendly, hardworking tour guides and I was sorry that the government of Guatemala has imposed such high fees that discourage more cruise ships from coming here (our tour guide worked during days when ships aren't in port on a banana farm.)

The port is basically a container port, and like Roatan, Honduras you should absolutely plan something when you are here ahead of time since it won't be enjoyable to wander around aimlessly.

• 2 months later...
We actually thought the port was fine...as we joined a private tour over to Antigua...which was fun. Our worst port in over 100 cruises (to 6 continents) was Constanta, Romania. Hank

Antigua seems like a really interesting place but how long did it take to get there? It looks like about a 400 mile round trip from the port.

• 9 months later...

Years ago my husband and I spent 10 days in Guatemala, with 6 of those days in Antigua (which we loved). Although we almost always take independent tours, if you plan to visit Antigua, I would advise utilizing the ship's tour. Traffic (especially anywhere near Guatemala City) is horrible and drivers can be aggressive which creates fender-benders. If the unforeseen does occur, at least the ship should wait on its own excursions.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

To each his own, but Santo Tomas was one of our FAVORITE cruise stops ever. We don't ever plan to just get off and shop the shops at port, so that was not our plan here either (and admittedly, if that's all you plan to do, there's not a lot here for you). We took a tour down the Rio Dulce to learn about the families and culture and how they live. Yes, we brought school supplies to children, but we did SO much more also. Learned to make tortillas and tasted fresh ones, had coconut water and fresh fruit, met locals, waded in a hot spring, and enjoyed the fabulous scenery. Guatemala is beautiful and the people are kind and friendly. We wish there were more options to visit this port!

We loved Santo Tomas. It is not a typical port with bars and shopping, which we found refreshing . We took a Rio Dulce tour via boat and it was very interesting and beautiful scenery. There were several other tours offered - trips to Mayan ruins, hikes to waterfalls, kayak tours, beach day at a resort, etc. We definitely will try to include this stop on future trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This was one of my favorite ports. We took the open air trolley tour through town. Our guide was friendly, informative and gave us a good background of what it is like to live in their town. Yes there was poverty but the children seemed well nourished and well dressed and the people happy. We did a little shopping in the large building adjacent to the cruise dock and got some really unique hand made items.

Anybody dock in Puerto Quetzal? Sailing on ncl later and its one of the stops.

Yes, last year. Of course, with the volcano erupting, I don't know what your stop will be like now, but we had an excellent time there. There were a number of really good excursions - Antigua for example, or the one we went on which was a trip into the mountains to see fascinating Mayan ruins. The port itself had a nice area with a few places to eat or get a drink and some wonderful local crafts for sale. I don't know how much of this has been impacted by the volcano, though. :( I would guess that many of the excursions that were offered last year are, for the time being, anyway, not going to be available.

Yes, last year. Of course, with the volcano erupting, I don't know what your stop will be like now, but we had an excellent time there. There were a number of really good excursions - Antigua for example, or the one we went on which was a trip into the mountains to see fascinating Mayan ruins. The port itself had a nice area with a few places to eat or get a drink and some wonderful local crafts for sale. I don't know how much of this has been impacted by the volcano, though. :( I would guess that many of the excursions that were offered last year are, for the time being, anyway, not going to be available.

Thanks for your reply. Right now I'm thinking of taking the on and off tour that starts in antigua.

• 2 weeks later...

Antigua is a wonderful city. Unfortunately, it is not on the water. One has to take a bus (or something) to get there. Once there, a traveler is exposed to many different things, from food to articles of clothing. I would go back now! However, there has been some issues with natural calamities that will keep that city from having visitors for several months.

I have a stash of things to donate to the local schools in the country. However, my next several Central America cruises do not include Guatemala. I am so tempted to deposit those things in Nicaragua, another country that has had recent issues (civil unrest). Those things are gathering dust on the shelf. I really want to do the right thing.

Jim

• 1 month later...
Antigua seems like a really interesting place but how long did it take to get there? It looks like about a 400 mile round trip from the port.

It depends on whether you're docking on the Caribbean side or the Pacific side.

• 1 month later...

We are docking at the Puerto Quetzal dock.

1. How far is the bus trip to the city of Antigua?

2. JimnKaren, what do you mean by this statement? However, there has been some issues with natural calamities that will keep that city from having visitors for several months.

3. We are going to be there October 28th of this year 2018. I booked the DIY Antigua. Now you have me worried. I am wondering if I need to plan something else.

4. Does anyone have any information on a Trolly tour that is offered in Antigua?

I read there was a Volcano eruption. Has anyone been there since this has happened? And do you know what kind of impact it has had on the City and exploring on the DIY tour?

Thank you in advance. I appreciate any information that you can and will share.

• 1 month later...

It's the PORT for Guatemala, not an attraction per se. I Taxi'd up the coast for a few cocktails with the locals. Kinda like Guatemala's Hoboken, Galveston, Civitavecchia, etc. Go for the Stunning jungle scenery inland. WORST port ever?? Mogadishu, Somalia. 

• 3 months later...
On 6/21/2018 at 4:16 PM, JimnKaren said:

Antigua is a wonderful city. Unfortunately, it is not on the water. One has to take a bus (or something) to get there. Once there, a traveler is exposed to many different things, from food to articles of clothing. I would go back now! However, there has been some issues with natural calamities that will keep that city from having visitors for several months.

I have a stash of things to donate to the local schools in the country. However, my next several Central America cruises do not include Guatemala. I am so tempted to deposit those things in Nicaragua, another country that has had recent issues (civil unrest). Those things are gathering dust on the shelf. I really want to do the right thing.

Jim

Another CC member shared this blog post which does a great job of highlighting the beauty of Antigua - https://mysouvenirmemories.blogspot.com/2018/04/antigua-guatemala-puerto-quetzal.html

On 10/4/2018 at 12:27 AM, lillulu said:

2. JimnKaren, what do you mean by this statement? However, there has been some issues with natural calamities that will keep that city from having visitors for several months.

While there were some very tragic events with a nearby volcano last year, most tourist places visited by cruise ships were NOT affected at all. Antigua is over 15 miles away from the nearest active volcano, so while we do get a rare ash fall at times, it was never a serious problem here when the tragedy struck the areas surrounding the slopes and base of the volcano.

Lake Atitlan is even further away. Unless there is a major earthquake, don't let exaggerated tales in the press keep you from visiting. Antigua is perfectly safe from Volcan Fuego.

Edited by DebInAntigua
typo
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DebInAntigua said:

While there were some very tragic events with a nearby volcano last year, most tourist places visited by cruise ships were NOT affected at all. Antigua is over 15 miles away from the nearest active volcano, so while we do get a rare ash fall at times, it was never a serious problem here when the tragedy struck the areas surrounding the slopes and base of the volcano.

Lake Atitlan is even further away. Unless there is a major earthquake, don't let exaggerated tales in the press keep you from visiting. Antigua is perfectly safe from Volcan Fuego.

We were in Guatemala twice recently and were told by two different tour guides that the road one normally uses to get from Puerto Quetzal to Antigua had only reopened relatively recently, having been closed for several months due to damage from the volcano. That was very apparent as traffic moved very slowly through the damaged area as road repairs were still being made, and we could see that numerous homes and other buildings had been destroyed by the volcano. We had also visited Antigua two years earlier so we knew that the damage we saw on the two latest visits was recent.

Antigua itself may not have been damaged, but cruise ship passengers docking in Puerto Quetzal would have had a difficult time at best traveling to Antigua .

• 3 months later...

In Santo Tomas there are a couple of cute restaurants a few blocks away, around the navy base.   You go past the craft market, out the gate, straight then right then right then left.  At one you dine out over the bay.  I bought two nice handmade belts in the craft market.  In fact, yes, the ship is docked at a busy container port.    

IMG_3085.JPG

20190306_083539.jpg

IMG_3068.JPG

• 3 months later...
On 6/29/2019 at 5:36 AM, ew101 said:

In Santo Tomas there are a couple of cute restaurants a few blocks away, around the navy base.   You go past the craft market, out the gate, straight then right then right then left.  At one you dine out over the bay.  I bought two nice handmade belts in the craft market.  In fact, yes, the ship is docked at a busy container port.  

Thanks for the wonderful photos. Do you know if there are cabs readily available?