Maya Chan review - any Questions?

tmn1016

Just got back from Maya chan and wanted to post a few quick items.. Also answer any questions if I can.

First off - they are very upfront about what to expect (Bumpy roads, sea grass on the beach and cloudier water). Their team could not have worked harder to greet everyone, make everyone feel at home, welcomed and taken care of! Great food - and lots of it, the drinks were flowing and plentiful! Lots of beach toys, paddleboards, kayaks, floaty chairs. The massages were a nice touch - $45 for an hour is super reasonable. I did see a Jellyfish while in the water so beware there but that's not really anything they can control. Snorkeling to the reef we were told wasn't recommended, was hoping to see some sea turtles or fish and that was the only thing we didn't. You didn't feel like you had a crowded area, everything was well managed!

As they said to us - if you're looking for the crystal blue waters, this isn't the place but if you're looking for a relaxing beach break - it was great. Last tip - DO NOT FORGET BUG SPRAY!

• Like 2

So you would chose to do this again? My husband and I are booked for a day in December. I’ve been thinking about buying a Nikon underwater camera to have that day but it sounds like that would be of no benefit. What time would you recommend getting off the ship? I can’t think of anything to ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So you would chose to do this again? My husband and I are booked for a day in December. I’ve been thinking about buying a Nikon underwater camera to have that day but it sounds like that would be of no benefit. What time would you recommend getting off the ship? I can’t think of anything to ask.

We went to Maya Chan in March 2013 on a cruise port visit and had a top-flight experience. Each reservation has their own seating area, apart from others. They are shaded and have comfortable chairs and the larger ones have lounging beds. The grilled Mexican lunch was authentic border-quality, unlike that available at home. The magical never-ending drink genie kept us happy and hydrated. If you use the floatie chairs, your drink order is taken and delivered as you bob away the afternoon.

It was such an over-the-top experience that I must confess looking now and then for a cruise that hits Costa Maya, just so we may return. At last we are on a Thanksgiving cruise in a month. We will enjoy MC longer this time as our ship does not depart until 5pm, a few hours later than last time.

I would not bring your camera there. Save it for clearer waters such as at Grand Cayman or Key West. As far as time off the ship, this is a dock port, not a tender one, so the first big crush of people leaving the ship should not take long to disperse. You will make arrangement with Maya Chan, via email, on the time for them to pick you up at the port. It is a 10-15 minute walk from your ship, depending where it docks on the pier and how fast you amble.

Enjoy your visit. Prepare to have your expectations exceeded. :)

Thanks for this, we're booked in February.

Did you need to rush from the ship to get there before others? Or are things set out in advance so you can relax getting there?

I believe there are multiple locations on the property for each size of your party. I suppose if you want the pick of the litter, you can try and be one of the first groups to arrive.

An alternative would be to email the owner (Mark) in advance regarding your options and preferences. That will give him the information needed to tag a particular area for your party, with no need to worry or rush that day. I must say, though, I don't think there is a bad location to be had. The daily limit on the number of guests, the distinct locations for each group and the excellent service are a magic recipe for a memorable day.

I believe there are multiple locations on the property for each size of your party. I suppose if you want the pick of the litter, you can try and be one of the first groups to arrive.

An alternative would be to email the owner (Mark) in advance regarding your options and preferences. That will give him the information needed to tag a particular area for your party, with no need to worry or rush that day. I must say, though, I don't think there is a bad location to be had. The daily limit on the number of guests, the distinct locations for each group and the excellent service are a magic recipe for a memorable day.

Excellent, thanks so much!

Thank your for your review. We have booked with Maya Chan for our April cruise and we are looking forward to it.

I like how they are honest about the chances of sea grass being on the beach. From their email they seem to be genuine people.

We are booked for April, and the process so far has been pleasant! Great informative emails.

I do believe they reserve the areas as the reservations come in, as I was told the general area where we would be.

I’m looking forward to this day at the beach.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If I was going to Costa Maya again - I totally would! I Leave the camera behind - you won't see anything with it but you'll have great food and drinks!

We visited for first time in September. Would definitely go back. We went with people who had been before and knew what to expect. Drinks were plentiful and very good. They really know how to make a mudslide. They have large floating chairs anchored out in the water and they do deliver drinks out there. Food was excellent and all you wanted. They have nice restroom facilities. Have water sports equipment. All in all well worth the money:D

Thank you! We are going there in December and I am really looking forward to it. I love how up front they were about what their beach is and isn't. We definitely are not looking for the "perfect" beach. I like that this is away from the main crowd and they limit the number of guests. With this post I have now added bug spray to our packing list.

Just got back from Maya chan and wanted to post a few quick items.. Also answer any questions if I can.

First off - they are very upfront about what to expect (Bumpy roads, sea grass on the beach and cloudier water). Their team could not have worked harder to greet everyone, make everyone feel at home, welcomed and taken care of! Great food - and lots of it, the drinks were flowing and plentiful! Lots of beach toys, paddleboards, kayaks, floaty chairs. The massages were a nice touch - $45 for an hour is super reasonable. I did see a Jellyfish while in the water so beware there but that's not really anything they can control. Snorkeling to the reef we were told wasn't recommended, was hoping to see some sea turtles or fish and that was the only thing we didn't. You didn't feel like you had a crowded area, everything was well managed!

As they said to us - if you're looking for the crystal blue waters, this isn't the place but if you're looking for a relaxing beach break - it was great. Last tip - DO NOT FORGET BUG SPRAY!

We are booked for December & I am looking forward to it. I just have one question, did you tip servers or bartender?

Thanks for the review....we are booked in November, and I am afraid the seagrass will freak some people out after our Nachi Cocom stop last year. How bad was it? Like you said they have been nothing but upfront so hoping for the best....

Also, what kind of bugs -- mosquitos, sand gnats, both? Appreciate you taking the time to let everyone know how it was for you!

Thanks for the review....we are booked in November, and I am afraid the seagrass will freak some people out after our Nachi Cocom stop last year. How bad was it? Like you said they have been nothing but upfront so hoping for the best....

Also, what kind of bugs -- mosquitos, sand gnats, both? Appreciate you taking the time to let everyone know how it was for you!

We have been to Nachi Cocum three times and they had problems with sea weed and cloudy water the last time we were there. It really depends on the weather, storms at sea. They raked and tried to keep up with it. We still had an awesome time there. Just a heads up if you are looking for perfection.

We have been to Nachi Cocum three times and they had problems with sea weed and cloudy water the last time we were there. It really depends on the weather, storms at sea. They raked and tried to keep up with it. We still had an awesome time there. Just a heads up if you are looking for perfection.

Maya Chan was our pick since we like off the beaten path, rustic and casual. But our in-laws decided to come along, and I am trying to prepare them.... :')

Just my thought...I would NEVER go ANYWHERE without my camera. Those places that people will tell you that you will and could not see anything are the places that I have managed to see my "first" before. (We've been places that people say there's no use bringing snorkeling equipment "because it's a sandy bottom area" and I do anyhow because I've seen an octopus, anemones and all kinds of neat fish).

For instance at Maya Chan...(back in the day before we traveled so much) we seen our first stingray (and to this day we have not seen another like this one) and starfish. Not to mention the grounds are beautiful as well. If I hadn't had my camera, I would have never had pictures to capture that awesome moment.

IMG_5100-M.jpg

IMG_5130-M.jpg

IMG_5131-M.jpg

IMG_5140-M.jpg

Have a wonderful time there.

• Like 2

We are booked for December & I am looking forward to it. I just have one question, did you tip servers or bartender?

From what I've read, there is a shell placed on the table at the end of the day for tips that are dispersed to everyone. There is also a mailbox as you leave to the taxi stand.

We're bringing our cameras. I have a water and sand proof bag.

They have a box for tips at the entrance that you drop them into at the end of the day. They ask that you do this instead of tipping individually as they want to make sure everyone on the staff including behind the scenes folks get taken care of as well. I actually really like this approach.

Went to Maya Chan in December 2015 and we loved it. When we got to the meeting place they did inform us that the beach and water was pretty much full of seaweed and we could cancel if we wanted to and get a refund. This was the year the Caribbean was being overtaken by the seaweed. We said, no way, we are going and we didn't need to get in the water. We're from Florida so the waters in the Caribbean are no different then where we live. We just wanted a relaxing time off the boat not full of people.

There were only about 10 - 15 of us so the place was not crowded at all. We all had out own hut-like area, some covered, some open. All with chairs, a bed, and table. They were non-stop bringing us drinks and chips and guac. The food was awesome. I would definitely do it again.

And yes the road out there, is LONG and BUMPY!!