French Quarter restaurant recommendations?

bbtbear

My sister and I will be cruising out of NOLA on Feb 24 and returning March 3. We will then be staying on for a week for Carnival and Mardi Gras. I have seen a few people recommending that you make dinner reservations far in advance for this week because of the large number of people in the city for the festivities. I was hoping some of you with experience would be willing to offer some restaurant recommendations so I can set up some reservations. We are staying at Hotel Provincial on Chartres Street between St. Phillips Street and Ursilines Ave and would definitely prefer to keep our reservations within walking distance. Any suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks! :)

There are dozens of great restaurants in the French Quarter.. Some of our favorites:

Pelican Club

Bombay Club

Muriel's

Cafe Amelie

Eat

GW Fins

Irene's

Orleans Grapevine

Trinity

All have menus on line. They are not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

oh great! Thanks for all the recommendations. I see that there are tons of restaurants, but I was hoping for someone to point me to some faves. :) Thanks so much for taking the time. Truly appreciated!

We just got back from NOLA....Had dinner at the following places....Vacherie and Dickie Brennans. It was during Coolinary Week so the prices were a little more reasonable. The food was absolutely delicious in both places. We had Sunday brunch at Court of Two Sisters. It was a jazz brunch and the food was very good. I tried turtle soup and it was so good that I had seconds! I hope you enjoy your stay!

We just got back from NOLA....Had dinner at the following places....Vacherie and Dickie Brennans. It was during Coolinary Week so the prices were a little more reasonable. The food was absolutely delicious in both places. We had Sunday brunch at Court of Two Sisters. It was a jazz brunch and the food was very good. I tried turtle soup and it was so good that I had seconds! I hope you enjoy your stay!

Thanks for sharing! I do have a brunch res in place at Court of 2 Sisters. Will have to remember turtle soup!!!

Thanks so much! Commander's Palace is definitely too far to walk, but we could make the other ones work. :) Laissez les bon temps rouller!

Commander's is a "don't miss" and a short walk from the streetcar stop. Uber also is very dependable in NOLA (in my experience) though I'm not sure if that would be so at the height of the Carnival season. You should be OK, though,m after Mardi Gras Day (March 5th).

Commander's is a "don't miss" and a short walk from the streetcar stop. Uber also is very dependable in NOLA (in my experience) though I'm not sure if that would be so at the height of the Carnival season. You should be OK, though,m after Mardi Gras Day (March 5th).

Thanks so much! Waiting to go there after Tuesday sounds like a great idea!

You really can't go wrong with just about any restaurant in NOLA, except for a few that I always warn people to stay away from : Oceana, Gumbo Shop, Mothers and Court of Two Sisters. Thy are all pretty nasty tourist traps.

Try Meril, Irene's, Willa Jean, Peche, Cochon, Cochon Butcher, Eat, Superior Seafood, Atchafayla, Dat Dog, Guy's po'Boys

• 4 weeks later...

It's pretty hard to screw this up. Every restaurant that has been mentioned on this blog is a great choice. Just remember when you choose a high-end restaurant like Galatoire's, Commander's Palace, Brennan's, etc, you will get hit pretty hard in the pocket book. There are dozens of cafes, bistros, diners, and dives that serve really great food much more reasonably priced. Dolphnlvr6 mentioned several of them but you really need to use the streetcars. Your hotel is only a couple of blocks from the streetcar terminal at N. St Peters and Ursulines. This line goes along the River front and will connect with the Canal Street lines that will connect with the St. Charles line. These trolleys are clean, cheap, and relatively safe. ($1.25 for an adults fare and an all day pass for $3). Download the app at:. https://www.norta.com/Fares-Pas…/How-to-Buy-Fares-and-Passes for on the go info that has route maps, stops, and arrival times for the next streetcar. New Orleans also has both UBER and Lyft as well as numerous taxis.

It's pretty hard to screw this up. Every restaurant that has been mentioned on this blog is a great choice. Just remember when you choose a high-end restaurant like Galatoire's, Commander's Palace, Brennan's, etc, you will get hit pretty hard in the pocket book. There are dozens of cafes, bistros, diners, and dives that serve really great food much more reasonably priced. Dolphnlvr6 mentioned several of them but you really need to use the streetcars. Your hotel is only a couple of blocks from the streetcar terminal at N. St Peters and Ursulines. This line goes along the River front and will connect with the Canal Street lines that will connect with the St. Charles line. These trolleys are clean, cheap, and relatively safe. ($1.25 for an adults fare and an all day pass for $3). Download the app at:. https://www.norta.com/Fares-Pas…/How-to-Buy-Fares-and-Passes for on the go info that has route maps, stops, and arrival times for the next streetcar. New Orleans also has both UBER and Lyft as well as numerous taxis.

Thanks! That's such great advice about the trolleys. I hadn't thought of using them because the first part of the week will be Mardi Gras and I don't think all the lines run or run reliably. But we're actually staying on til Friday so could make the most of them for 3 full days.

Thanks! That's such great advice about the trolleys. I hadn't thought of using them because the first part of the week will be Mardi Gras and I don't think all the lines run or run reliably. But we're actually staying on til Friday so could make the most of them for 3 full days.

Don't call them trolleys as everyone will know you are a tourist. ;) They are called "streetcars" in New Orleans. The day after Mardi Gras is the beginning of lent and the tone of the city will change vastly. The St. Charles streetcar line will definitely be on a modified schedule as it literally goes down the middle of the parade route. The best transportation during Mardi Gras is your own two feet. Car traffic in the FQ is redirected and restricted due to the vast amount of people on the streets. Be prepared to walk so wear your comfortable shoes.

Don't call them trolleys as everyone will know you are a tourist. ;) They are called "streetcars" in New Orleans. The day after Mardi Gras is the beginning of lent and the tone of the city will change vastly. The St. Charles streetcar line will definitely be on a modified schedule as it literally goes down the middle of the parade route. The best transportation during Mardi Gras is your own two feet. Car traffic in the FQ is redirected and restricted due to the vast amount of people on the streets. Be prepared to walk so wear your comfortable shoes.

lol thanks for the advice! Streetcar. Got it! :)

I really like Bayona in the Quarter. It is on the western edge though and I would not walk there late at night. It is great and not as pricey as the others.

Commander's is definitely worth the trip.

On the Canal St. streetcar line (and I agree - do NOT call them trolleys) is Mandina's - they have great seafood and lots of options. It is casual and more moderate in price. It will be crowded during Mardi Gras, Ash Wednesday and the first Friday in Lent though (Catholics do not eat meet on Fridays during Lent). It is open for lunch - so you may want to try a late lunch.

Try a local food critic's website - www.nomenu.com for more info on local restaurants.

• 2 weeks later...