Parking Departing Vancouver - returning to Seattle

AlanF65

I am thinking of driving to Vancouver for my 11 day Vancouver to Seattle. Trying to decide if I should park in Seattle and shuttle to Vancouver and uber/ cab /lyft around Vancouver. Will be heading south from Seattle when I leave so would rather not go back to Vancouver to get my car.

I will be arriving in Vancouver a few days early.

Has anyone left a car at a Seattle cruise park and then gone on to Vancouver for departure?

Best method to get to Vancouver?

I have contacted Seattle Cruise parking via email.

Thanks

A

In addition to the Port of Seattle parking lot there is another lot that is close to Pier91 and a bit cheaper.

https://www.seattlecruiseparking.com/

To get to Vancouver from Seattle, options include the scenic Amtrak Cascades train, Amtrak bus, Quick Shuttle bus, Greyhound bus, Bolt bus, or fly. You'll need to be mindful of where the depots are at each end as they may require taxi to/from.

I think you're on the right track by parking in Seattle on the way up, it's more efficient than parking in Vancouver and having to come up after the cruise and then retrace your trip. Car in Vancouver is actually more of a hindrance than help for most tourist things - parking is pricey, distances are tiny, and we are one of the most walkable cities on the planet. No Uber/Lyft, but excellent public transit for sites which actually are too far to walk for you and don't offer shuttles from downtown.

Personally, with you having total control of your timing, I'd say take the train. It is hands-down the least stressful and most civilized way to make the trip, and especially to do immigration. No worries about border stops, queue lengths, you just get off the train in Vancouver, grab your checked bags from where they've been sat in a big row on the platform, then queue up for CBSA processing - spring for Business Class and you are done first, then each carriage of us plebs is let out in order behind you. Since we always turn up really late for the train, we are always in the last carriage released - and we've never spent more than ~30mins from arrival to getting home (we live ~4 minutes walk away from the station). The only downside is frequency - twice a day only, but since you can choose when you drive into Seattle it's easy to schedule.

The only other consideration I'd have is that since your cruise is long, you will likely find that parking out at the airport in economy long term makes for saving quite a bit of cash compared to cruise or downtown parking. If you can save enough $, then QuickShuttle might become worthwhile. They will take you from Seatac right to downtown Vancouver, stopping at some hotels and even the pier depending which bus you take. Price is the big downside to the service - they are heftily marked up compared to other buses/economy train tickets, at US$59pp one way, so for 2+ people it's cheaper to use other services which go to downtown and pay for cabs!

Stay downtown in Vancouver - the 'burbs are usually cheaper but you waste time traveling to the touristy parts, which we have conveniently placed downtown for the vast majority of them.

I think you're on the right track by parking in Seattle on the way up, it's more efficient than parking in Vancouver and having to come up after the cruise and then retrace your trip. Car in Vancouver is actually more of a hindrance than help for most tourist things - parking is pricey, distances are tiny, and we are one of the most walkable cities on the planet. No Uber/Lyft, but excellent public transit for sites which actually are too far to walk for you and don't offer shuttles from downtown.

Personally, with you having total control of your timing, I'd say take the train. It is hands-down the least stressful and most civilized way to make the trip, and especially to do immigration. No worries about border stops, queue lengths, you just get off the train in Vancouver, grab your checked bags from where they've been sat in a big row on the platform, then queue up for CBSA processing - spring for Business Class and you are done first, then each carriage of us plebs is let out in order behind you. Since we always turn up really late for the train, we are always in the last carriage released - and we've never spent more than ~30mins from arrival to getting home (we live ~4 minutes walk away from the station). The only downside is frequency - twice a day only, but since you can choose when you drive into Seattle it's easy to schedule.

The only other consideration I'd have is that since your cruise is long, you will likely find that parking out at the airport in economy long term makes for saving quite a bit of cash compared to cruise or downtown parking. If you can save enough $, then QuickShuttle might become worthwhile. They will take you from Seatac right to downtown Vancouver, stopping at some hotels and even the pier depending which bus you take. Price is the big downside to the service - they are heftily marked up compared to other buses/economy train tickets, at US$59pp one way, so for 2+ people it's cheaper to use other services which go to downtown and pay for cabs!

Stay downtown in Vancouver - the 'burbs are usually cheaper but you waste time traveling to the touristy parts, which we have conveniently placed downtown for the vast majority of them.

Thank you, I have a few months to figure it out, not leaving until may 2019

Would do the numbers, all in. Parking near Pier 91 will cost around $150 for a week, so probably $175+ for eleven days. To get to Vancouver for departure will probably cost another $110+, counting the cab from Pier 91 to the train or bus station, followed by the shuttle/train fare itself.

On the other hand, parking near the Seattle airport will probably cost under $10 a day if you book ahead. The Quick Shuttle bus from the airport to downtown Vancouver costs $59 one way, so for 11 days you're probably looking at $110 (parking) + $60 (Quick Shuttle) + $50 (Pier 91 to airport) = $220 vs. $285+ if you leave the car at the cruise terminal. The extra $65 buys you several cab rides in Vancouver.

If there are more than one of you, I'd also look at the cost of a one-way rental car between Seattle (airport or downtown) and Vancouver. These can be good value, and in addition to being a "door to door" service (easy with cruise luggage) it would also allow you to take a more scenic route between Seattle and Vancouver, rather than just shooting up the (boring) freeway.