Port of Spain, Trinidad- taxis and tours

pjules

Will there be taxis and tour guides hustling for business at the port in Trinidad (Port of

Spain) as they do in most Caribbean ports ? I would like to have somewhat of a scenic tour, with a bit of time at Maracas or Las Cuevas beach if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

Yes there will be Taxis at the port.

Always use a real Taxi. Their License plates always begin with the letter H. Example HAP 2016.

Private cars begin with P. Example PBX 1869.

Trucks and heavy goods vehicles begin with T.

I would Definitely recommend Maracas. The drive is scenic through rain forest mountains then you eventually see the North Coast.

Make sure and try the world famous Shark & Bake sandwich with all the toppings. Drive from the port would be around 45 mins.

Unless going with a group I would avoid Las Cuevas if its a week day as it can be on the quiet side and a bit desolate.

• 1 month later...
Yes there will be Taxis at the port.

Always use a real Taxi. Their License plates always begin with the letter H. Example HAP 2016.

Private cars begin with P. Example PBX 1869.

Trucks and heavy goods vehicles begin with T.

I would Definitely recommend Maracas. The drive is scenic through rain forest mountains then you eventually see the North Coast.

Make sure and try the world famous Shark & Bake sandwich with all the toppings. Drive from the port would be around 45 mins.

Unless going with a group I would avoid Las Cuevas if its a week day as it can be on the quiet side and a bit desolate.

For us, the whole Maracas experience suffers from cruise herds, as the ship contents appears to relocate, contributing to an increase of visible rubbish being strewn everywhere, and noise.

Hire a cab for the day, take the scenic tour to Las Cuevas and spend time on the beach. There is large car park (excellent position for a photo-shoot) and a small shop (sells cold Gwince in bottles). The beach is actually a fishing port, it is relaxing to see these boats bobbing at their moorings.

Yes, the beach is long and quiet as there are no hotels, condos, bed hirers etc., but the backdrop to the beach is "jungle", with an empty beach to enjoy (bring towels).

We always return.

Does Las Cuevas have any facilities? Or chairs/umbrellas - or trees for shade?

Last visit there were no chairs or beds, hence take towels. The beach is mainly used by locals.

There are facilities

Shade from trees and cliffs (yes, you walk down a long slope to the beach)

Wonderful stroll along the empty beach to say "hi" to the Vultures (birds) at the far end. (Yes, there is a colony)

Not great for snorkelling, nothing really.

Bye the bye, on the way to Las C, you will drive via Maracas, and you will see what you are missing out on, being glad you did.

Edited by PORT ROYAL

We did Maracas Bay. The water was too rough for swimming, but we rented two lounge chairs and umbrella for $10. The beach wasn't too busy. Yes, there were some people from the cruise ship, but sometimes I find comfort in that fact. It costs about $.25 to use a washroom with showers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
For us, the whole Maracas experience suffers from cruise herds, as the ship contents appears to relocate, contributing to an increase of visible rubbish being strewn everywhere, and noise.

Hire a cab for the day, take the scenic tour to Las Cuevas and spend time on the beach. There is large car park (excellent position for a photo-shoot) and a small shop (sells cold Gwince in bottles). The beach is actually a fishing port, it is relaxing to see these boats bobbing at their moorings.

Yes, the beach is long and quiet as there are no hotels, condos, bed hirers etc., but the backdrop to the beach is "jungle", with an empty beach to enjoy (bring towels).

We always return.

I have a genuine interest in doing this. This is my first time to this port, I'm not staying on the ship, I'm NOT wandering around the port doing nothing and I'm not blowing this island.

I would like to "Hire a cab for the day, take the scenic tour to Las Cuevas and spend time on the beach."

Just like PORT ROYAL has suggested, my question on the average what would the cost be to hire a cab for the day and accomplish this? I'm just trying to get an idea on how much $$$ I need to put aside for my day on Trinidad. My best buddy was on this island about 10 years ago(international soccer tournament) he loved this place, I have almost a whole day here and I'm planning on making the most of it. Thanks Todd....anything else I should not miss please let me know. I LOVE the "jungle" I would never miss that.

Pigeon Point is lovely. The beach is great and the is usually a steel band playing on some days. There is also and opportunity to visit Booco Reef there. There will be several boat operators loading boats for a visit to the reef and nylon pool. This venue is in Tobago and you did not say which island you will be visiting. Two islands- one country. If you dock in Trinidad and will be there for only half day you will not have time to go to Tobago.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you very much. We will be docked in Tobago so this sounds like a good option. Our second consideration is a tour exploring the rain forest, however we aren’t really ship excursion people and I am worried about time constraints on doing this privately (which would be the preference) with only 1/2 day. Active exploration is usually our first choice. I totally appreciate all this feedback.

• 4 months later...

Has anyone been to Maracas Beach recently from Port of Spain by taxi -- can you give me an idea of cost ? Our ship, Caribbean Princess, runs a trip @ $49.95 each for a 4 hour trip. There are 4 of us so would it be cheaper by taxi and do they wait for you whilst at the beach - or come back and pick you up ? Thanks for any info

There is no set price to get to Maracas from the cruise terminal but I can assure you that if you get off the ship and negotiate with one of the waiting taxi drivers you will most likely get away with about $100. US dollars to hire the taxi for the day. I also have a suggestion. Since Maracas beach is the destination for the cruise tour, the beach there will probably be crowed with your fellow passengers wanting to visit the most famous beach in Trinidad. You might want to go further down the road past Maracas beach to Las Cuevas. It will have fewer tourist and is a very nice beach. You can always ask the driver to stop at Maracas on the way back to the ship or stop there for lunch at Richard’s for bake and shark.