First time with MSC

Innesp

Hi All,

We are sailing with MSC for the first time in August this year. We have cruised with many other cruise lines in the past, and am looking for anyone who is able, to offer some insight as to how MSC compares to other Cruise companies.

Thank you in advance.

Hi All,

We are sailing with MSC for the first time in August this year. We have cruised with many other cruise lines in the past, and am looking for anyone who is able, to offer some insight as to how MSC compares to other Cruise companies.

Thank you in advance.

Welcome to Cruise Critic Innesp. You'll get many more responses if you ask your question over on the MSC boards at Cruise Critic here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80

Jonathan

Going to the MSC board will certainly provide more information relative to that line, but just be advised that many of the posters there - as with other cruise line boards - may be biased in their opinions about the cruise line as that is their cruise line of choice.

You may also find responses on this board as well that may also be informative but perhaps not carry the same level of bias and may be more objective as a result.

I would suggest remaining here as well and looking at both boards.

MSC is well, different. If you are cruising in the Caribbean you will probably find it similar to most other lines. In the Med they are very Italian. Rules are there to be broken. They have beautiful ships, food was good, entertainment, main show lounge not really a music sow, not really an acrobatic show not sure what it was, but I enjoyed it. I sailed at the beginning of summer, still very cool for me but the pool crowded with passengers from middle European countries, relishing every bit of sun they could get. Service is average, you pay for water at your table, buffet can get crowded and sometimes no one is interested in clearing plates. As I said before, great ships and great itineraries, go with an open mind and go with the flow.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

totally unexpected. I don't think my family would be a fan.
Mine neither. They were appalled that we had to pay for water in the main dining room. Not to mention the amount of time required to have dinner.

A good case for dinner at the buffet.

• 1 month later...

Thats is because in europe and many other countries,there is no tradition of drinking tap water in a restaurant,if you want water,you ask for mineral water.Regarding the time for eating,food,and certainly,dinner food,is meant to be enjoyed with the family,taking time to enjoy the food and make conversation

OP: Where are you sailing? We've sailed several times on MSC and sailing in Europe and sailing out of Fla to the Caribbean is like sailing on two different lines. Some folks are aghast that MSC charges for water. In Europe, NO ONE drinks tap water, always bottled so no matter where you are, if you order bottled water, everyone charges for it. Out of Fla , they ALWAYS serve tap water at dinner and I don't ever remember if they even asked us if we wanted to purchase bottled water. There are other subtle differences between sailing MSC in Europe vs the Caribbean out of Fla. But definitely...go to the MSC board and see what's what.

I have done a couple of MSC cruises (in Europe) though I mostly sail with Princess and have tried RCCL and Celebrity. MSC (and Costa) get alot of mixed reviews which I think are just a result of passengers embarking with different expectations and experiences and being disappointed when they don't find what they expect to find. The point about the water is a perfect example! It will be a very different cruise experience than what the average north american cruiser is accustomed to. If you go with an open mind and embrace the differences instead of complaining about them you will enjoy it very much. Personally I loved the food..so much more authentic..though sometimes not as plentiful! Be prepared to hear announcements multiple times - many people find this annoying..I love it. Gives me a chance to practice my understanding of 4 other languages and I'm always in awe about how seamlessly the Cruise directors switch from one language to the other! The ships are lovely and usually the prices are so much more affordable.